CHOSENMAN007

GT 86 Brake Bias.

There's a reason why nearly every single Big Brake Kit and Race car has slotted discs though. 

No matter how good the pad there will be dust and gases generated under heavy braking. So whilst a solid disc will probably be fine in 90% of road uses, I think if you plan to take it on track. You'd want slotted to prevent glazing of the pads. All depends how you use your brakes.

Actually most of the better new discs have J hook design and that's to increase bite. Having pad deposits on the disc isn't actually a bad thing, ever read how to bed in track/race pads? You need to heat the pad up so much to leave a thin layer of pad material on the disc. Again, glazing happens due to the inability to lose heat, slotted wont help that. Have a read of this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63781

Also it's worth of noting that more pistons ("pots") on a caliper doesn't mean better braking. If you haven't increased the master cylinder size the braking effort isn't increased. The extra braking effort in a typical BBK is due to the larger discs and pads.

STi brake setup:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23512

Of course. Pad material on the disc isn't bad. That increases bite. But excess gas build up between the pad is whats bad. 

Anyway it's the same as winter tyres I think. personal preference on your situation. 

I've opted for the STI brake setup as I want the cosmetic benefit but not serious braking. And not by spending £4k+ all round. 

Of course. Pad material on the disc isn't bad. That increases bite. But excess gas build up between the pad is whats bad.

Yeah, but what makes you think our pads put out the gases you're trying to remove? Pad material, as with most things, have moved on over the years. The issues that grooved discs were designed to help decades ago probably don't still exist ;)

I'd put money that you'd have had no worse braking on the track with your pads if you had solid discs.

Maybe that's the case. All I know is with the stock setup back roads from Norwich to Loddon caused issues and serious brake fade.

Now with slotted discs the issues I experiences have gone. Don't care if it's down to heat dissipation, gas build up or Magic Fairies. 

Spent about 3 months researching the brake setups. Slotted aren't any more expensive over solid discs. And In my experience and now solved my brake fade issue. Therefor in my eyes slotted discs are worth it. 

Maybe that's the case. All I know is with the stock setup back roads from Norwich to Loddon caused issues and serious brake fade.

Now with slotted discs the issues I experiences have gone. Don't care if it's down to heat dissipation, gas build up or Magic Fairies. 

Spent about 3 months researching the brake setups. Slotted aren't any more expensive over solid discs. And In my experience and now solved my brake fade issue. Therefor in my eyes slotted discs are worth it.

Are you still on OEM pads then?

I'll be getting a brake kit soon, i'm sure pads will work fine but the standard calipers are looking awful on my car with rust on the seam etc and it just isn't complimenting my car. For me it'll be for both function & looks.

You get what you pay for, James. 

Here's a link which doesn't really sell the D2s.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack/530390-d2-380mm-brake-kit-problem-hard-shacking.html

HTH.

Jesus, that's bad. Spec K what are your K-Sports like as they are just re-branded D2's (vice versa)?

Jesus, that's bad. Spec K what are your K-Sports like as they are just re-branded D2's (vice versa)?

I'm not sure if they are any more, I'm sure someone told me the brake kits are different. When D2 and K-Sport started their suspension kits, it was D2 that got the decent reviews and K-Sports were the "budget" brand but that was years ago and I'm not sure if that's changed.

Jay, you never answered the question. Your sig says you have WRX(??) pads and SS brake lines? Could none of this attributed towards the better braking system?

Cheers Lauren.

Since I'm not a button or sennna, I think d2 slotted will do nicely.

As far as reviews are concerned I take it all in but with a pinch of salt.

Look at the gt86. It's was not all song and dance in the reviews. But we all love our cars to bits. Lol

End of the day why pay 2k on alcons or ap if I'm not that big to track stuff. But a better biting brake kit, more stopping power and yes looks good in my wheel is all I need.

I mean k sports are doing well. A few of us are smashing them on track with zero fade or dramas.

Given that D2 thread was posted 3-4 years ago i'd take it with a pinch of salt, them issues could arise from more than just the Kit itself. Admittedly I didn't read it all as to be honest I hate walls of text and the paragraphing by that guy is atrocious.

I admit, I just typed in 'GT86 D2 brakes review' in Google and that is what came up with. 

But, what I would say, is if some brake kits are a lot cheaper than others then there will be a reason for that. 

Personally I think the stock brakes are just about adequate on track, though my fronts were smoking after the second session at Lydden Hill. I should add I don't have much pad left so that might not help. 

I think uprated pads are about all you need on an NA. 

I would likely try uprated pads, but I wouldn't buy a cheap big brake kit, so unless I felt it warranted going for AP etc, I wouldn't do it. Brakes are quite important after all. But, I'm not bothered by looks, function over form, always for me. 

It's your money though, they'll doubtless be fine, but I would do a bit more research. Whilst stuff from Taiwan often represents good value for money, it does generally mean cheaper components as they have to cut the price somehow and this is not always a good thing of course. 

For me it's a mixture of both. I want good performing brakes and the looks to go with it. A bug of mine has always been the brakes under open wheels. OEM wheels aren't to bad but they just look awful under a set of open spoke wheels. Especially 18" 

I agree with not going for a cheap New Big Brake Kit! But I've gone for the WRX Brembo Kit. Which is fitted to 2008 Imprezza with 300bhp+. 

So they're not going to be terrible. They're going to be better than stock. And they give me the better look / size i'm after under 18" wheels. 

Steve - Currently the Brembo Kit isn't fitted. So has nothing to do with better braking i've experienced.

I don't hate the stock setup and think it does very wheel on track. Like Lauren my fronts where smoking after the track session and so where Chris's. For me changing to the WRX Brembo kit is more about looks whilst offering something of similar or better than stock.

It was originally a very expensive optional extra on new Imprezzas. Over 1k so it's not going to be a terrible setup. 

Steve - Currently the Brembo Kit isn't fitted. So has nothing to do with better braking i've experienced.

What I was getting at mate was what components have you changed so far? Is it just the discs?

Keethos, you wanted a DIY write up: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61978&highlight=STi+brembo

I've never attributed the Increase to just pads. The discussion was about brake bias. And options. I stated ive not had any problem since fitting my setup. Not that its absolutely discs that have improved. And I never said non slotted discs would be bad. Read the reviews slotted discs are have a benefit. They're no more expensive

All I was doing was recconending slotted discs as I've not had any problems....

D2 or k sports I would class as mid range kits. No where near the cheap option. Seen cheaper. Alcon, brembo and a.p top shelf kits. But let's me serious, we buy for our ability. There is no way I will even touch the capabilities of a mid range kit even with a f.I install. That statement can go for most of our products we bolt on to our cars.

Oh with the exception of Lauren who is a racing driver and rob who is probably the quickest novice amongst us.