Twigman

Treating new wheels

I am looking at treating my brand new rims before fitting them with rubber and putting them on the car.

I am looking for the best possible treatment I can give them that will make them as easy as possible to clean. I'm quite impressed with the tefal like qualities of the OEM wheels, to be honest, and am looking to make my new rims as easy to maintain.

Someone somewhere pointed me at Gtechniq C5 wheel armour...I looked it up £23 for 15ml!!!!!! 15ml is nothing - how is that stuff applied? How far would 15ml go?

Is there anything else I should consider?

I would need to sort something by this weekend as the rubber goes on the rims next week (ordered at the fitters) and the wheels on the 86 straight after.

You do not use a cloth to apply the C5, 15ml will be more than enough. You use an applicator pad like below, you get a few with it so you will be fine :) 

Do go for the C5 though it's the best out there, you will use 2-3ml of it per wheel at most..

gtechniq-applicator-pads-x-10-528-p.jpg

Per Rob's thread on his latest polishing toy, this this is the stuff I've seen recommended as being the best.

Apparently it'll last pretty well too - Rob's view just helped to push me over the edge to get it for when my news wheels arrive...

Also i'd consider washing and wiping the wheels down with alcohol solution before applying, It will still bond, but will certainly last longer when there are no contaminants on them whatsoever. I know they are new wheels, but that's not to say they are clean despite them looking it. Prep them right and you should see up to 18months protection from the C5..

I'm looking at getting my new alloys very shortly and I'd want them protected, so when you say wash and wipe with alcohol solution, do you mean wash with water and car shampoo of some sort, dry it off, then wipe down with alcohol or just wipe straight away with alcohol to clean the wheels?  I've got a bottle of Isopropanol (IPA) which I think is 99% alcohol, would that be too harsh on the alloys paint thus needing to water the solution down or would it be ok as it is?

Then when I apply the C5 solution, couple of drops on the applying pad and just wipe the whole wheel down (once the wheel is dry?), all nooks and crannies?  Will the couple of drops do or would I need to add more?  One pad per wheel?  Then what do I do once all this has been applied?  As I plan on sticking on some vinyl, do I stick them on before or after applying the C5 protection?  As you can guessed.....never used this malarkey stuff before  ;) Thanks!

Wash with soapy water and rinse, You're going to want to water the IPA down, to 10-15% to be safe otherwise it's glorified paint stripper lol. Applying C5, assuming it's similar to C1, You literally put a couple of dabs on the applicator pad and wipe it over the wheel (thin layer) then wipe it off with a microfibre and then again with another one to get any residue left. 

You must get all of the residue off, i completely forgot half my rear bumber and it turned my bumper in to sandpaper I had to clay the whole thing down as dirt just stuck to it lol.

You need to make sure the the wheel is 100% dry though and do not do it in sunlight and also wear latex gloves or something. If you have enough to do multiple layers then do so, for best results a couple of hours apart.

Well, looks like my plans have gone out the window and rather than getting my new alloys for BHP, looks like I'm guna have to wait 5 weeks before more come back in stock 

thumb_onion-head-smiley-00005.gif