Rab

VVTi fault

+1 for the VVTi fault

Car droped at dealer yesterday - CEL flashing, TC light on, Cruise control light gone orange and inop, rough idle/stall.

Random cylinder misfire and Stall log reported so far ......

Will keep you all up to date smiley6.gif

they haven't managed to get a fault code yet ..........

:(

Their mechanic was on the phone earlier trying to diagnose it.

No, afraid that's slightly beyond my current technical ability! They're struggling to simulate the fault, hence don't know where to begin. Prob with this VVTi fault is that it doesn't always log a code in the memory. Adrian at Fensport had sent me the screenshot of the irregularity (exh cam staying open) which I've passed on to them.

Quite annoyed that I've got more info on this than they have tbh

No I don't have one, Adrian has offered to send one up but I'm 400 miles away from the car anyway! Won't be able to do anything with it until the weekend

Adrian is talking with my dealer today though so we should be making progress. They've now managed to diagnose the fault, and they know which parts to order.

No I don't have one, Adrian has offered to send one up but I'm 400 miles away from the car anyway! Won't be able to do anything with it until the weekend

Adrian is talking with my dealer today though so we should be making progress. They've now managed to diagnose the fault, and they know which parts to order.

Which parts have they ordered Rob?

Unsure, but they said there's a plunger/valve within the VVTi which controls oil flow - that's what they suspect is sticking

Guess who's back...

IMG_20140405_112719.jpg

New vvt hub
New vvt solenoid
New valve assy-oil control

Will be having another "run-in" period with it until I'm confident that the fault is no more!

Mostly covered under warranty, there was a charge for additional labour & sundries but I'm very happy with Eaglesham Garage. Not so impressed with Subaru UK who don't seem to have any guidance on this fault though, most of the technical info came from Stu, Fensport & ft86club!

Awesome stuff Rab, was everything ok with fact you've got a turbo lump in there? Let us know how you get on with all the upgrades as you've not had a proper drive in her yet have you?

Also, do we know if the chirping has anything to do with the VVTi at all? My chirping is back again  :(

I doubt it, i've had mine since forever! Haven't bothered to get it fixed. When did you have it fixed though? They have changed the design now haven't they?

I'm having to re-learn the car again, its a totally different beast from when it had the winter tyres, on standard suspension, with the turbo. It caught me out on a slippery roundabout on the way home from the garage on Saturday, so I took it a long run yesterday with a mixed bag of driving roads included.

Honestly Keith I think it comes down to your relationship with your dealer more than anything else regards the warranty. I had to pay a bit for the extra work involved but the parts were all covered, as were the "book" labour costs.

So far as I know the vvt and chirping are not related. Mine gets louder on occasions but I don't stick to the one type of fuel so that could be a factor??

Wish I had brought my car down south this week, I was like a fish out of water driving it yesterday. Been too used to driving that blue ovaled bit of nonsense that Jan owns!! Talking of which, it's going to be for sale soon if you know anyone with a death wish and bottomless pockets for the fuel bills!