keelerad

Torque App with Blue Tooth OBDII adaptor

See also youtube vids

As I have just got a new phone and new adpator and had to configure it again, I thought I'd add a thread on here for the benefit of others

The Torque App

Its an app (http://torque-bhp.com/) that can be run on an Android device to monitor the vehicles ECU using a blue tooth adaptor plugged into the ODBII port (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics#OBD-II)

The torque app lets you monitor various data points that the ECU uses and can also display (and if you purchase the paid for version, reset) vehicle fault codes

The torque app will also use your devices GPS and accelorometers to allow speed and G to be measured and it can log data against GPS location, producing a map that overlays on Google maps of your speed or oil temp on a journey.

The adaptor

This plugs into the ODBII port provided by manufacturers for monitoring the ECU and makes data available to another device via bluetooth. This can be anything the ECU monitors examples include rpm, coolant temp, oil temp, inlet temp, air fuel ratio etc. The one you want is an ELM327 one.

They come in various shapes but with where its situated on the '86 you either want a short one or some sort of extension or its likely to hit your left leg when driving

The one I got was this one from fleabay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231164930452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) you can get cheaper ones but the £8 one I bought last time stopped working after about 6 months so I thought I'd risk a bit more this time

Plug in the adaptor

You can find the connector for it under the dash, look above where your left knee would be when seated and you should find it. Note the connector is shaped so you have to get it the right way round

Pair the ODBII device to your Android device

Power on your car to power up the dongle, I did it with the engine running so I knew it would have power. Go into your device settings and make sure bluetooth is on and search for new devices

Mine appeared at first as a HEX address a bit like a MAC address ie AA:11:22:33:44:DD but then updated to appear with the name OBDII

Select the device and it should ask you enter a pairing code, for mine this was 1234, some use 0000, check with your supplier if neither work

Start Torque

When you start Torque it will ask you to choose the bluetooth device, select the adaptor you paired above.

If you then select Realtime information the Torque App will start displaying data received from your car, rpm is the obvious one to check, press the go pedal and watch it rise !

You can configure the display to change what is shown, you can also modify what data is logged on a journey

There is also some point where it asks for setting up a profile for your car, it does this when you first use it but as mine is already setup I can't remember what it asked.

To reconfigure the display press and hold on any of the dials to get a menu that lets you delete, move, resize, change dial type

To add a new display press and hold on an empty area of the screen and you get a add menu

Oil Temperature

Although Oil Temperature is a normal ODBII PID our car doesn't use the standard one, it uses a bespoke one instead.

The Torque App can be configured to monitor this custom PID as follows

Open the Torque app and then hit the menu button.

Select "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors" (should be second from the bottom).

Hit the menu key again and select "Add custom PID".

Enter the following information

OBD2 Mode and PID: 2101
Minimum Value: -40
Maximum Value: 215
Scale factor: x1
Unit type: C
Equation: AC-40
OBD Header: 7E0

Hit ok. The oil temp parameter will now be available for logging and real time display.

Output diplay showing a range of values, these update in real time, the HP is calculated based on the acceleration and the vehicle weight you put in when setting up your vehicle profile (so if you want to impress the gullible enter the weight as 12500Kg and you'll get big HP figures :P )

after2.jpg

Google map overlay showing variation in oil temp, showing rise from start at 10 to peak temp of 110, this is viewable after a journey and can be changed to display any of the PIDs you chose to log

run2.jpg

You can also take videos with the Torque App and incorporate the gauges into the videos, they are hidden behind the black bar that youtube sticks at the top of the sreen, hit play and you'll see them

Sorry for the quality of the video, it was taken with my Nexus 7 on a headrest mount and it was bouncing all over the place

what figures did you put in for working out the hp ?

The weight of the car. At a guess 1250kgs + fuel and your weight.

Tis a fairly pointless part of the display though.

I have ordered one of the Bluetooth adaptors suggested above, should be with me tomorrow.  I have an 'old' Samsung phone that I will be using with Torq to monitor the data points my existing gauges don't, mainly inlet temp and actual water and oil temps (only have indications of these currently).

Thank you for the great write up, Alec - glad to see you religiously stuck to the speed limit in the video lol.gif

Its not that bumpy, just looks worse as it was filmed with a Nexus7 on a headrest mount facing forward, the thing was bouncing all over the place

Alec

Got one from the link in the original post, seems to work fine but only did a quick test with it... need to find somewhere to try a 0-60 time to see if the 7.7s is actually accurate and not a 0-62 (with a change to 3rd)

Do you guys leave your OBDII Scanners/adaptors plugged in 24/7 ?

Bought a ELM327 and thinks about just leaving it plugged in, but how about power drainage ?

I wouldn't as it will transmit continously and possibly drain your battery. 

OBD doesn't talk unless the ignition is on I think. At least this is what i'm assuming as my gauge is plugged in all the time and it doesn't work without ignition. Nor does my ecutek cable.

OBD doesn't talk unless the ignition is on I think. At least this is what i'm assuming as my gauge is plugged in all the time and it doesn't work without ignition. Nor does my ecutek cable.

The adaptor it self is lighting up like a christmas tree when plugged in, and without ignition, so it is drawing power - but its hard to check if it does the same with the doors locked...

Wrong and wrong.... you can turn on the P3 without the car being on and the ECUtek cable shows an LED all the time even when the car is off.

Wrong and wrong.... you can turn on the P3 without the car being on and the ECUtek cable shows an LED all the time even when the car is off.

How? and yes you're right ECUtek shows an LED, but I said it doesn't talk. Which is true. You would be lucky to even see that LED drawing 0.1w of power so it's really nothing to be concerned about imo.