Lauren

Future of more powerful GT86 in doubt + BMW engines for other Toyotas

Toyota reveals partnership to use BMW diesels will include several models and different engines

Toyota is best known for its commitment to hybrid cars, but Auto Express has learned that the company has agreed a deal with BMWto use  "a whole family of transverse diesel engines" on various different platforms.

The first model to emerge from this partnership is the Toyota Verso 1.6 D-4D, which uses the same 109bhp engine as the MINI Cooper D to help cut its CO2 emissions without affecting performance. However on the launch of the new Verso, Vice President for European R&D Gerald Killmann confirmed that Toyota was already developing other models in the range to use this engine, including the Auris hatch and estate, and the RAV4 crossover.

When asked how extensive this deal for engines was, Killlmann told us that "several platforms" has already been agreed, which opens up the possibility of several more BMW-powered cars, and could mean that a large 2.0-litre diesel is also on the agenda. These engines are set to gradually replace the current models in the range, and will help boost sales for the brand in Europe, where buyers are still skeptical about the benefits of petrolicon1.png hybrids.

The new Auris is already performing well for the brand, as it is currently the fifth best-selling hatchback in the incredibly competitive C-segment, which includes cars like the VW Golf and Ford Focus. However the bad news for fans of sportier Toyotas is that Killmann told us that the GT 86 Coupe was flagging behind its sales targets in all major markets.

This poor performance is creating doubts about whether to develop a more powerful version, and Killmann told us, "A faster version of that car would be at the top of most people's wish lists, but like the cabriolet, it is hard to justify a business case to push either model into production based on the current sales."

He also said that Toyota was unsure of what the main factor behind the slow sales was, especially given that the car has been a huge hit with the automotive media. "Personally, I think that engine could use a little bit more" he explained, but whether that car will become a production reality now looks in serious doubt.

Okay there are those of us who will be relieved at not having a cabriolet (awful thing and best way to ruin a tin top). But, they are also saying poor sales mean they might not develop a more powerful version. 

Obviously Autoexpress speculation.

I agree, Lauren. Is the cabriolet on sale in the UK? - I've not seen one..

Having taken Autoexpress's revelation that the  FT-1  concept car was to be the "..Supra replacement.." at face value I tried to put down a deposit on one... only to be laughed out of my local showroom, despite my assertion that I'd be happy to wait three years....

... Rich, wanna take my deposit? I want the first UK one...

Spec K

While I love my car i've always felt it was over priced for what is was & some could argue under powered, with the new Audi TT coming out soon if Toyota don't improve the quality/ power of the car sales will only get worse.

For the first year the car was over-priced and dealers were refusing to discount presumably on orders from Toyota HQ.  After the initial heavy pre-launch and launch marketing campaign I have had no contact from Toyota nor seen any GT86/BRZ adverts.  I get regular updates from Mazda, Ford and Honda (???) on their offerings but not Toyota.  Little wonder that the sales have been behind target in my view. 

The fact that it appears to be a Subaru cuckoo in the Toyota Dealer's nest and many dealers appear to have little interest or even knowledge of the GT86 also does not help sales.

This is a shame but it kinda makes my life a lil easier, this way, come 3/4 years time, there's not guna be a new more powerful version which means I can happily go FI :D

Obviously Auto Express Speculation

Apart from the fact that the first post says;

Vice President of European R&D Gerald Killmann confirmed ... " it is hard to justify a business case to push either model [more powerful or Cabriolet] into production based on current sales"

But I agree, it is a rather strange situation all round, on the one side Toyota have a sports car partnership with Subaru while on the other they have an engine partnership with BMW... Hopefully the two will be mutually exclusive and we can have a more powerful Subaru engined GT86/BRZ without BMW getting upset...

We will see!

(ps. stupid IE is not letting me copy and paste or quote, its a pain in the arse...)

I agree, Lauren. Is the cabriolet on sale in the UK? - I've not seen one..

Having taken Autoexpress's revelation that the  FT-1  concept car was to be the "..Supra replacement.." at face value I tried to put down a deposit on one... only to be laughed out of my local showroom, despite my assertion that I'd be happy to wait three years....

... Rich, wanna take my deposit? I want the first UK one...

Spec K

You can be the first retail customer in the UK Keith,i will make sure of that,after the delivery of my Demonstrator obviously :D .Just to let you know,

the general managers were in Belin last week at a meeting.Akio Toyoda was present & drove into the meeting in his racing overalls & wait for it a race version of the GT86 B) .He apparently gave a passionate & inspiring speech on the future of Toyota and his passion for racing so watch this space for future developments. ;)   

You have my order, Rich...

Let's hope Akio Toyoda's passion is not squandered on fruitless efforts in Formula One..

... and let's hope the FT-1 Supra has something different than a straight six lump..

Spec K

IIRC there is an impass between Subaru and Toyota on the engineering side about the Cabrio. Toyota have said that it can be done, Subaru say that it can't.

There is significant strength in the roof, and the chassis isn't designed to work as a Cabrio. I guess it would be a totally different body-in-white, which would make it much more complex.

Plus, you know, people don't seem to be buying them anyway for whatever reason. Why Toyota haven't got one in BTCC or some kind of motorsport I don't know.

You have my order, Rich...

Let's hope Akio Toyoda's passion is not squandered on fruitless efforts in Formula One..

... and let's hope the FT-1 Supra has something different than a straight six lump..

Spec K

It doesn't have a straight 6, it will have a 2.5 V6 Hybrid lump apparently... 400bhp