Lauren

New wheels. 17x8 ET38 Volks TE37s.

Well, I wasn't going to but the chance of a set of Volks TE37s coming up in the right size and offset that I wanted for a very good price, was too good an opportunity to miss. So I took a punt. 

1486769_10151731969951467_1834542739_n.j

I was also quite worried about spending what would seem a lot of money on second hand copies and after scouring the web there are a lot of fakes out there. 

Satisfied when I saw this on the back of all the wheels:

1471991_10151731874436467_2125406310_n.j

To be fair, I got them for a good price and one rim does need a little bit of straighening, but it's not too bad. It also looks like they've been powder coated so I will have to decide what to do in regard to this. 

Mark suggested getting the powder coat removed and then getting them re-anodised. Of course if I do this I could pick any colour of my choice. 

It all depends on cost of course, but quite fancy this:

160-2-090823.jpg

I'm guessing anodising might be difficult if I have any chips filled in. The wheels are at least three years old and have been on at least two previous cars, so whilst they'll look fine from a distance they do have a bit of weat and tear close up.

I intend to put the stock tyres on these.  

No, not at all, Rob, it's merely cosmetic. I'm getting them refurbed and powder coated pillar box red next weekend. :)

Obviously that wheel will get straightened at the same time. 

Lol, awesome stuff Lauren, so the bent bit, is it just the lip that's bent rather than along the whole wheel width? Is this pillar box red the same red in the example picture? You getting your TRD side bits in the same red too?

Hi Keith, it's just bent on the bit of the rim you can see, nowhere else. Honestly it's really minor, will be no issue to sort that out. 

No, it will be a brighter red than the example as that is anodised. There aren't that many choices in respect of what shade of red when it comes to powder coating, but really the brighter the better I think. I've already been on to Richard about changing the side stripe colour to match. Hoping to get all that sorted at the next service which wil be in 2-3 weeks time. 

I'm keeping the aero fins in white as that's how I ordered them in the end. Don't want to over do it at this point. ;)

In my opinion you can really overdo it with a colour like red and actually having the aero fins red would of looked crap as it's too close to the wheels. It would of ended up looking like balamory :)

Well done Lauren. That your Rays bent rim can be fixed without problem is excellent news (I have a dread of 'bent wheels' which goes back to cut-and-shut Mini steel rims..! hence my earlier comment..) and that you're having them powder coated in scarlet is... err.. appropriate..? <grin>

I cannot afford Rays, even though they are the lightest/best in my opinion. I need 8 off 17" x 9", so that I've got road and track rims that match... you are talking mega dosh for Rays , so I'm talking to Team Dynamics, hoping to screw together a decent deal..

Spec K

Tyres are my big question mark at the moment.

I've got 9" Rotas fitted with AD08's for dry track use, I'd just swap the tyres over to the new rims. I like the Eagle F1's for road use and as inters/wets on track but they are wearing out... I suppose nearly 12,000 road miles / more than 800 on track is nobbad...

Michelin/Advans/Conti... even Avon.. are under consideration if I can get 'em in the right profile.. any others you think worth considering?

Spec K

Yes, 17x8 so an inch wider than stock. 

Incidentally, I've just dropped them off for refurb. Taking a gamble but am having them powder coated red. There is only one red to choose from it's quite bright, but that's not a bad thing I think!