Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

The Italian Job 2-10th September via the Alps

It's not that bad' date=' Richard. £40 for a decent meal and a couple of beers each is okay I think. :)[/quote'] You have done well there I paid 40 pounds for 4 beers in Basel! I like the fact you can be in and out of 3 countries in minutes there ie: Germany,France and Switzerland.LOL

Have to say, having a mega time. Yesterday's drive of the four passes was simply epic. I think it made a huge difference having Chris our local guide and fellow GT86 owner. We could you know have a tour around this area next year. Would be a stonking club event! Today we drive the Stelvio! I did all the driving yesterday so Mark can do some today. To be fair Mark was terrified of the drops at times, so I think he wants to go a little more slowly today.

Well, mission accomplished! :)2414.4 miles in all. I have to say, I had two of the most epic drives of my life. First was with Chris (Killerbee on FT86 forum) my newly acquired Swiss friend who with his local knowledge made driving the Klausen, Susten, Grimsel and Furka passes just fantastic. Brilliant, utterly brilliant. I still have the sound of my exhaust reverberating through the tunnels and mountain sides in my head everytime I think about it.Following Chris's car through a tunnel out of Basel:http://www.flickr.com/photos/dexterslab2010/9726093982/Rest of the images are here too.Then after a dissapointing first run at the Stelvio Pass due to it being just stupidly busy, we did it the following Monday, this time with Speedy (Alex) our site hoster and IT guru. What can I say, what a completely brilliant drive, just loved it. We also took in a cool one way tunnel crossing the border into Switzerland and happened upon the excellent Fluelapass. A proper write up with pics will follow once I have a moment. :)It just doesn't get much better than this:Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd then there was Reims of course:Posted ImageSo much to say! I daresay i'll bore people stupid with it at JAE. Apologise in advance!

Just one more..... I've loads more pics to sort out.Atop the Furkapass at over 2400 metres complete with an Indy:Posted ImageOverall mpg was 36.0. This is impressive when you have to consider that driving the passes, particularly the bonkers, mad ascent of the Stelvio must have reduced the average by about 5mpg!