Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

Tuning Developments Meet 30th June 2013

Firstly a huge thanks to Mike and Nick at the team at Tuning Developments Ltd for hosting dyno day and a BBQ to boot at their premises in Warrington. It was really nice to meet everyone and put some faces to usernames and have a good old natter which we certainly did! :DMy car on the rollers which did manage the highest output recorded on the day of 200.3bhp @flywheel and 166.7bhp @wheels. http://youtu.be/QJfyVH2tSd0I didn't take that many pics but I'm sure others will add to it!Posted ImageQuite liked Mark's lights, I think it really works well on a red car:Posted ImageFatrabs Red BRZ! Posted ImageOn the rollers:Posted ImageOverall it was an interesting day. We have the opportunity to compare and contrast different modifications. Alec must be pleased for only being 3bhp down on me with just a K&N filter. Good effort! :)

Good meet and a few dyno runs done, 2 BRZ's and about 10 GT86's, every colour except Ginger.Happy with what I saw for mine on the dyno, 163.7 bhp at the back wheels which is apparently 196.9 bhp (est) at the flywheel, this was at 7000 rpmPeak Torque was 161 ft/lb at about 4800 rpm (ignoring a little peak of 170 @ 2700rpm), with it making more than 150 ft/lb from 4500 to 6800 rpmPosted ImagePosted ImagePicturesPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAlec

Firstly a huge thanks to Mike and Nick at the team at Tuning Developments Ltd for hosting dyno day and a BBQ to boot at their premises in Warrington. It was really nice to meet everyone and put some faces to usernames and have a good old natter which we certainly did! :DMy car on the rollers which did manage the highest output recorded on the day of 200.3bhp @flywheel and 166.7bhp @wheels. http://youtu.be/QJfyVH2tSd0I didn't take that many pics but I'm sure others will add to it!Posted ImageQuite liked Mark's lights, I think it really works well on a red car:Posted ImageFatrabs Red BRZ! Posted ImageOn the rollers:Posted ImageOverall it was an interesting day. We have the opportunity to compare and contrast different modifications. Alec must be pleased for only being 3bhp down on me with just a K&N filter. Good effort! :)

errorrrrrrrr

Was a good day and a great meet! Thanks again to Mike and the Tuning Development guys for hosting our meet and for the dyno runs. Great bunch of lads there! Also great meeting some new and old faces too!

Here are scans of my run for those who want data on a stock car with just a HKS air filter:Posted Image[ATTACH=CONFIG]n71[/ATTACH]Posted Image[ATTACH=CONFIG]n72[/ATTACH]I had my car serviced and a new ECU update (but I don't think it's the very latest map) which might explain why the car was running a lil lean.....so I'm told as I have no idea about his stuff :32 (18):

Guest Guest

Lean? The standard map runs rich so a bit leaner shouldn't be a problem.... The ECU's learning and trims are complex but I'm slowly getting my head around it, so its likely that if you haven't subjected the car to similar load conditions to that of the dyno since its reflash then it won't have been running at optimum.

Here are scans of my run for those who want data on a stock car with just a HKS air filter:Posted Image[ATTACH=CONFIG]n71[/ATTACH]Posted Image[ATTACH=CONFIG]n72[/ATTACH]I had my car serviced and a new ECU update (but I don't think it's the very latest map) which might explain why the car was running a lil lean.....so I'm told as I have no idea about his stuff :32 (18):

At the top end you're running an AFR of 11.5ish which is rich, not lean...How long since the ECU was updated, as if it's a recent update, the ECU may well be set conservatively by default and have to learn a more aggressive timingThis was certainly the case in the past with my EJ20How many runs did they do?On my peak power run @ Abbey, at the top end mine as between 12.5 & 12.75, which is leaner than you through your whole rev range, but it may be a factor of intake temp too - the abbey day was cold, so more air coming in. I dont' know if this ECU runs closed or open loop fuelling at WOT...

I admit, like I mentioned in my post, I don't fully understand AFR, just repeating what I thought I heard Mike say.....is higher the value the leaner it is or is it richer? And Richer being more fuel that air right (Leaner is vice versa)?I had my service done on Thursday, so I've had to drive it home, to and from work on the Friday, bezzed it around the back roads around Warwick and then a good 100 odd mile up to Warrington.....would the ECU not have finished adjusting itself by then? Suppose even though I have still been giving it the beans every so often, probably wasn't as constant as what it was going on on the dyno (which I believe did 2 runs.....though correct me if I'm wrong peeps).But at the same time, you can see on Alec's run that his AFR reading stays around the 12.5 mark throughout the run where as most of mine is around the 12.25 mark but both end down around the 11.5 mark and he's not had any changes to his ECU.

AFR is Air to Fuel Ratio, so bigger number is more air, hence leaner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_fuel_ratio), they did 3 runs on the dyno to get a plot, some cars varied quite a bit from run to run, my 3 were all pretty much identical.Anyone know where the AFR data was obtained from? I didn't see them plug anything in anywhere in the engine bay, is it just a sensor stuck in the exhaust?Alec

Guest Guest

It will be obtained by an wideband sensor in the exhaust tip.

Which usually causes the reading to be 0.1/2 leaner due to the cats, unless they adjust the settings for this obviously. Generally speaking they won't though, so that's worth remembering.Keith, in basic terms, think of a learning table as engine RPM vs load. At any time, you're running in one cell in that table and if required it will write adjustments. Now load will be different dependent on gear, incline etc. If you were running on the dyno in a group of parameters that the ECU hadn't seen much of before then theres a chance its still learning. The most obvious ones impacting on yours sounds like the fuel trims. But also the IAM (ignition advance multiplier) Is probably no where near maximum meaning you're not running at maximum possible advance. Due to Alec's being driven hard a lot I would expect his trims and IAM to be firmly set and hence the consistent runs.If you're interested, Google Subaru ECU knock correctIon.

Morning all! :)Thanks again to those who attended, nice to meet such a friendly bunch of owners :)Keith, apologies if I've confused you, I meant your car was showing to be running a leaner mixture than our car did on a stock tune, with you mentioning an ECU update on your car this maybe why?Nice forum btw too :)CheersMike JonesTuning Developments Ltd