Lauren

My Wikkid sound install

Okay, I wasn't happy with the stock setup and the JBL wasn't quite what I wanted either. So, I decided to take the plunge and go for a professional install. I chose a local guy in Macclesfield who has had a shop doing this for over 35 years. As it turns out he knows his stuff. He used to go those mad ICE competitions in the states where you have to play a tone for five seconds and he met the guy who hand makes Focal speakers in France.In all honesty, I really think I treated myself with this, but life is short and it was another thing I had to tick off on my list.Apart from the head unit which chose myself, everything else was specified by the installer. I just gave him a budget and an idea of the kind of music I like. I love lots of bass so a prerequisite was that it had to deliver in that department.I went for an Alpine W925R, which is the one with DAB.Focal KR2 165sHertz 950 5/3 channel ampJL 12" sub (sorry can't remember which one).Audison Bit10 DSPPosted ImageThen Focal KR2 165s which are a two way coaxial which are kevlar:Posted ImageCorresponding tweeters:Posted ImageFront speakers and crossover:Posted ImageCar in the workshop:Posted ImageAudison Bit10 Digital Sound Processor. I had to be persuaded on this one, but the difference is well worth it:Posted ImageDoor tweeter in place. My guy reckoned it would sound better in that position over being on the dash:Posted ImageBoot floor before:Posted ImageDynamat applied:Posted ImageThe start of the sub enclosure:Posted ImageFibreglassed:Posted ImagePosted ImageDoor panels off:Posted ImageDynamat inside the doors:Posted ImageFront speaker in:Posted ImagePosted ImageCrossover:Posted ImageMaking the boot floor:Posted ImagePosted ImageCables:Posted ImagePower cable:Posted ImageSub, amp and DSP in place:Posted ImageChoice of blue:Posted ImagePosted Image

Best one I have is sans the door handle trim, but you get the idea:Posted ImageThe quality of the sound is astonishing. Last weekend I had a fellow owner come over and have a listen to his classical music on it. It was very impressive even though it's not really optimised for that. Enough to persuade him of a way forward. The clarity of the sound is on another level to what I've ever had before. The rear view mirror vibrates in time with the music. :P

I like the idea of installing an awesome stereo but I just can't justify the weight increase (and cost of) a properly decent setup when I don't find the standard stereo really THAT terrible... I mean, I know the standard stereo is not great but I don't drive the car so I can listen to music...Anyways, not to put any downers on what is a super tidy install - I can imagine the difference is day & night between before and after...! As an aside, did you remove the speakers from the dash and the rear speakers you're now not (I assume) using...?

We left the tweeters in the dash and the completely useless rear speakers. They are just disconnected. I don't think the weight of all the gear is relevant to stuff like handling, really. Apparently I've saved nigh on 10kgs with my Milltek exhaust and de-cat, though 10kgs is neither here nor there. It's a personal choice. I really, really love my music, so it's important to me. I drive £25K miles a year and there are times when I just want to chill and have decent sounds. Actually though I think I need it as the road noise in this car is pretty bad, so it takes a sound system with some welly to drown it out!

After listening to your system Lauren

I hard wired an iPod rather than listening to Bluetooth music

and there really is a big improvement

and the iPod is easier to navigate compared to a memory stick

Stephen

Still no remote on mine! That would be nice, but I think it's more to do with the physical size of the wheel and not having the room for buttons. However, they could have stuck a stalk on the steering column. May be that is a way forward?

They did, but seriously not worth the faff. They used the cruise control stalk I think to control it. I admit though I started watching the vid, got bored and turned it off. 

If you can't live without some sort of control which is accessible near the steering wheel what about a stalk that attaches to the steering column? Old school I know, but can be perfectly adequate. 

I just wish there was a convenient button that could instantly lower the volume dramatically almost like a mute button but not full mute...just lower even that you can hear other people/things but still hear the music.  It's easier enough to press pause but it's a faff tuning the volume down far enough and then back up again....especially when I have to return it back to exactly 25  :P

Yep, seen that. Too scared to attempt it though, looks complicated. In your opinion is the update worth doing?

Any idea how much the map updates are? Mine is a bit out of date. I know you need to do it on navietools or something, but I can't use it as I have a Mac. 

Map updates are expensive anywhere unfortunately...

I haven't noticed much difference, maybe a slightly faster startup and scan of the usb.

I had a couple of resets in the past, so I'm hoping it fixes that.

BTW I don't think your focals are 2-way coaxials, they're 2-way components. Coaxial would mean you've got woofer and tweeter mounted on the same central axis in one unit.

Yep, you're right, two way components. 

Yes, it's the resets that I want it to cure. Will grab a USB stick off Mark and give it a go. 

Interestingly I have a friend who's unit reset itself and then asked for a ten digit passcode. He's had to send the unit back to Alpine, so a bit of a disaster there. 

How have you found the DAB reception quality, and did you need an additional aerial for it or is the OEM one good enough?

Also on a more general point re DAB, is it going to be an option that can be added to the Toyota OEM Touch unit anytime soon does anyone know?

How have you found the DAB reception quality, and did you need an additional aerial for it or is the OEM one good enough?

Also on a more general point re DAB, is it going to be an option that can be added to the Toyota OEM Touch unit anytime soon does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure that if you want DAB on the OEM headunit, you need to purchase an add-on which includes a wire like aerial that is stuck down one side of your windscreen.  The stock headunits are only DAB "Ready", which means they can play DAB as long as you purchase additional parts to get it working.  I'm sure it's available but don't think it's cheap.

Not sure what you mean as my GT-86 has DAB Radio as standard & works very well :)

Not trying to be funny, but are you sure you have DAB, what extra stations do you get?

I have yet to meet anyone who has DAB radio on a standard Toyota head unit and was beginning to think it was vapourware.

I'm interested as I used to have a DAB head unit in my T-Sport to listen to Radio5, Five Live extra and talksport in something other than AM.

Alec