Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kono

What is this stuck to my window ??

Recommended Posts

20200521_101002.thumb.jpg.2780213c6ad3ecc1666a096795aae0eb.jpg

I'm the second owner of this car (2018 gt86) and everyone  who gets in keeps asking why do I have another aerial?? There's a little shark fin antenna  on the roof and the radio from what i can tell is totally standard, no sat nav though :(, so I have no idea what this is for. From what I've seen of the older models this isn't usually there? Any ideas or is this some extra the original owner has installed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kono said:

20200521_101002.thumb.jpg.2780213c6ad3ecc1666a096795aae0eb.jpg

I'm the second owner of this car (2018 gt86) and everyone  who gets in keeps asking why do I have another aerial?? There's a little shark fin antenna  on the roof and the radio from what i can tell is totally standard, no sat nav though :(, so I have no idea what this is for. From what I've seen of the older models this isn't usually there? Any ideas or is this some extra the original owner has installed?

Looks like a DAB aerial to me. Maybe they had a different headunit but swapped it back to oem when they traded it in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deacon said:

Looks like a DAB aerial to me. Maybe they had a different headunit but swapped it back to oem when they traded it in?

Ahhh ok thanks that could be it. The car was a CAT S write off at 5K miles so they didn't have it long, only damaged the wrong wing and door tho but got it all reapired so they might of just striped it all back out and replaced back to standard. 

 

I don't really know much when it comes to electrics in cars to be honest so its nice to have it confirmed. Not sure if I  want to risk removing it though because I'm unsure if it will affect the standard set up now? I'm guessing it shouldn't but really i should play it safe and get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a similar antenna stuck to the windscreen of my '17 GT86. I thought it belonged there.

 

Antenna.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although it looks like some aftermarket thing it's actually the standard DAB aerial fitted to the later models. Not the most attractive addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gray said:

Although it looks like some aftermarket thing it's actually the standard DAB aerial fitted to the later models. Not the most attractive addition.

Ohhhh that's a bizarre addition o.o good thing i didn't just pull it off after all. Thanks for clarity. 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

I have a similar antenna stuck to the windscreen of my '17 GT86. I thought it belonged there.

 

Antenna.jpg

Looking at the post above it may be actually standard in the 2016 onward models. Out of curiosity is your interior stitching white or red, and is the passenger side dash panel like some weird plastic carbonfibre pattern? All the interiors i see that aren't heavily modified seem to be the 2013-2016 model and have red stitching and just a black dash panel. I want to get a arm rest in the centre like your one but all the ones i see for sale are red stitched...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it white stitching?

Official Toyota eBay site do red (which I bought 2yrs ago) but they also do silver for £149.99

Genuine Toyota GT86 Centre Console Storage Silver Stitching RHD 16- PW28118001B0

 

My 15plate has the carbon fibre effect panels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kono said:

Ohhhh that's a bizarre addition o.o good thing i didn't just pull it off after all. Thanks for clarity. 

Looking at the post above it may be actually standard in the 2016 onward models. Out of curiosity is your interior stitching white or red, and is the passenger side dash panel like some weird plastic carbonfibre pattern? All the interiors i see that aren't heavily modified seem to be the 2013-2016 model and have red stitching and just a black dash panel. I want to get a arm rest in the centre like your one but all the ones i see for sale are red stitched...

Yep, mine has white stitching, the central arm rest and the weird carbon fiber style panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×