Daninplymouth

Lowering spring choices

Hi, I’m just about to order my new wheels and I know as soon as they are on I will want to lower the car. At the moment coilovers aren’t an option so was wondering if there is any difference between all the different options. I’m tempted to spend the extra mo eye on the rce yellow springs as they seem to have a bit more thought put into them. Also I’m not looking at going proper low about 20mm or so if I stick to this or 25mm tops will I need to change anything else?

has anyone tried lowering springs on the kouki models yet? As I’m thinking as they have upped the damping on the standard shocks would this handle a lowering spring better than the previous models?

I have RCE yellows on standard prefacelift shocks and I'm very pleased with them. Welcome to have a look at car now it's lowered. Also make sure you factor in needing to have the geometry adjusted: in particular you will need aftermarket solutions for front and rear camber adjustment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I have H&R Super Sports springs, very nice balance between ride quality and handling. You will need to have the camber adjusted.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

I had eibach springs which gave a 35mm lower ride. I found it too much for the poor roads we have and switched to coilovers set to 10mm lower than stock. The springs looked great but personally I would say stick to 20mm max like you are planning 

I have H&R Super Sports springs, very nice balance between ride quality and handling. You will need to have the camber adjusted.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

Which ones did you go for? Are they significantly stiffer than oem?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

What parts would I need front and rear to allow for the camber changes?
You'd need lower control arms for rear (might get away with offset bushes) and camber bolts at the front to give you a bit of adjustment. Can get all from fensport. Think you might need to change your droplinks too for the arb, could be wrong on that though havent done it yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Better adjustable rear lower control arms from get go. Whiteline bushings for rear are PITA to align and that little saved on purchase may probably be spent on extra time needed for alignment. Also cheapest kind of adjustable aftermarket LCAs are not that expensive. Stamped steel ones like stock like clones of SPC/Whiteline/Eibach cost noticeably less vs aluminum billet ones.

14 hours ago, willclarke said:

Which ones did you go for? Are they significantly stiffer than oem?

The Super Sports, as quoted.  Yes, they are stiffer and give about 25-20mm lowering.

ST suspension springs are good they're KW's "cheap" sub-brand. 4kg Front 5k rear lowers 20mm Front 25mm rear. You can also buy them as part of a handling package that comes with matched ST anti roll bars

also to note I fitted these without any camber adjustment at first and they were fine. Just fitted them myself then took it to the local trusted tyre place that does four wheel alignment and got it adjusted up in terms of toe.