Sign in to follow this  
matrixprotein

Excessive squeaking rear tyres

rear tyres/brakes are squeaking excessively and its really loud especially when braking.

at really low speeds eg. creeping traffic, the rear tyres also squeak without even being on the brake!

at first instance i thought i would just replace the disc and pads but im starting to second guess this now that they are squeaking without even being on the brake!

anyone else have any similar problems?

I've had this before, it's likely a sintered bit of pad which is slightly raised. You can take them off and file down the raised bit of pad. I did this with mine but it returned and then I just ignored it till the pads needed changing. Changing them sorted the issue. 

I've had this before, it's likely a sintered bit of pad which is slightly raised. You can take them off and file down the raised bit of pad. I did this with mine but it returned and then I just ignored it till the pads needed changing. Changing them sorted the issue. 
Thanks Lauren. Stupidly I got so frustrated and posted thread without even Checking for other threads! Saw plenty on this so stop techs incoming! ;-)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Ouch haha. Jesus.. wondering if I should just get a cheap set from eurocarparts now and try my luck. Guess no point spending the extra on stop techs.

Strange though, I really had my eye on getting stoptech discs and pads as drop in upgrades

Lol? Excuse the stupid question but just been on euro car parts. The two options on brake pads for rears says they are for 15" and 16" wheels. My wheels are 17' as standard? What do I do xD

Squealing rear stock brake pads were the bane of my life lol

I only had the squealing without pressing the brake pedal issue when the rear calipers were rammed full of dirt and copper grease preventing the pads from sliding properly.  They were so bad that I could stop on small hills without using the handbrake or brakes and not roll back!  The car was 2.5 years old when I bought her with full service history from the same Scottish Toyota dealership. 

I stripped the brakes (had to use brute force + prybar to get the pads out of the calipers!) and cleaned the whole lot the first month after buying the car, filed down the contact edges of the pads (which had corrosion bubbling up under the paint) and applied CeraTec grease instead of copper crap and they were fine after that, and I was back to using the handbrake on hills lol

I think I ended up doing another strip down in the first year I owned the car, but the squealing would only stop for a few months.  The pads binding and acting as a handbrake hasn't come back as bad, but I've started to feel a little resistance now and its not from the handbrake shoes.

I've decided that the squealing tends to come and go on its own.  Its probably been over 6 months since I last stripped the rear brakes.  They've squealed badly a few times, but cleared up after a few days - just as I was getting tempted to pull the tool box out lol.

If you've got a lot of pad left try giving them a clean up.  But if you do go for a new set of pads (I think you want the ones for the bigger wheels) try to get a set of the metal bits that the pads slide in (can't for the life of me think of the proper name lol) - its an absolute ballache to clean the old ones!

those are the shims right lol.

haven't got round to picking them up yet from eurocarparts.

i actually took it to a quiet road and got it up to 60mph like 4 times and emergency stopped and became travel sick hahaha.

so thought it might have cured it but it hasn't lol

had to change my braking somewhat to minimise the squeal but will head off to eurocarparts tomorrow to pick up the pads. ordered the ones for 16 inch wheels!

Shims!  That's the word lol

Glad its pretty much sorted for you!
The shims do get dirty as hell. One of the pads was stuck and I had to remove the caliper to bash it out! That was the loudest squeaker!

Guess I have a set of OEM pads for sale soon. Plenty of life in them, probably 80% pad still left.