samfletcher1997

6 years / 60,000 mile service

Hi There,

My car is due for its 6 year service at the end of this month which is a full+ service which is the most expensive service.

I assume the spark plugs are changed during this which is why it is so expensive. however, my car is a 62 plate but only has 17,000 miles so i can't imagine they will need to be changed

I have heard that the spark plugs are rated to at least 60,000 miles so i'm unsure whether getting it serviced through Toyota is even worth it? I am thinking of just getting it MOT'd and doing the oil and filter myself because this service seems a bit excessive. I also don't think a full service history on my car from Toyota will even be too valuable at this point.

If anyone else has been in a similar situation, can you please let me know what would be the best option? Is the general consensus just to get all the services done as recommended?

Thanks!

I did just check the maintenance manual as had a convo with Lauren at JAE about this as Im coming up to 6 years but will on 22k currently. Manual does say 60k miles or 60 months, whatever comes first. There are youtube vids up of people doing it themselves, ill be checking those out. Avoiding steven eagell MK as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Nosupersuit said:

I did just check the maintenance manual as had a convo with Lauren at JAE about this as Im coming up to 6 years but will on 22k currently. Manual does say 60k miles or 60 months, whatever comes first. There are youtube vids up of people doing it themselves, ill be checking those out. Avoiding steven eagell MK as much as possible.

And that's a vote for me on Steven Eagell country wide😤

2 hours ago, Nosupersuit said:

No it doesn't. It states 60,000 miles for spark plug change. It says nothing about time or how many years. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

The spark plugs are done on mileage not age. So you don't need them doing. This is clear if you look in the service manual. 

I did look in the warranty and maintenance manual here:

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/86/2017

I know it says 2017 but doesnt go back further. The maintenance grid for spark plugs shows that, have a look and let me know if im being dim and reading it wrong! To be honest still might wait until the engine has done some miles before swapping but did have a look so i could complain to SEMK for telling me to change them.

2 hours ago, Nosupersuit said:

I did look in the warranty and maintenance manual here:

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/86/2017

I know it says 2017 but doesnt go back further. The maintenance grid for spark plugs shows that, have a look and let me know if im being dim and reading it wrong! To be honest still might wait until the engine has done some miles before swapping but did have a look so i could complain to SEMK for telling me to change them.

I didn't take it from that, I took it from the actual physical service book. I didn't look at your link as it would have involved finding it. 

As others have said, it is every 60,000 miles not by years. It's in the "service and Warranty" booklet, page 24. That booklet is really difficult to understand at first because it has every Toyota model listed in it, so some of it is irrelevant. 

Some of you have similar mileage to mine :o I thought I had the oldest to low mileage ratio. 2013 and just hit 20,000 miles. 

I'm in a similar boat, I have a 62 plate with 33k miles. The Subaru dealer is adamant it needs plugs and wants an eye watering £760 for the service!!!

I spoke to them about doing the service without the plugs and they are happy to do this and will still stamp the book. So I'm thinking this is a win...

...they still want £445 for the service without the plugs. Sod a dog! It's just not worth it for a stamp in a book, I'll get it done at a local independant.

There is no point getting the plugs changed if you haven't done the mileage. For those of us that drive our cars, mine is 5.5 years old and is having it's 120K service tomorrow which will of course mean my plugs get changed for the second time round! ;) 

I have just dropped my car off to have the 6 year service. It has only done 30k, but I don't know how the previous owner drove it (I have had it for a year and have added 10k miles on). So I have opted for the full service purely for piece of mind. 

If I was the original owner though I probably wouldn't have changed the spark plugs on this service if it was on 30k. Hope that helps.