VAD17

Brake pads advice needed

Would greatly appreciate some thoughts and advice... Thinking about replacement brake pad options (after couple more track days;)).

I have Ksports front BBK (356mm) and stock rear. Not planning to upgrade (other priorities :) waiting implementation towards the end of summer).

Both have Yellowsuff pads which I am reasonably happy with them (much better on track days than stock, last 20mins, no squeal even after cold night. 18x9.5J wheels in MPS 4 (and probably would replace with another set of MPS 4 when these are done)

I do only 5-6k miles p.a., mainly short trips and aiming for (say) 8-10 track days a year (predominantly cold weather).

Options I am considering:

1) Yellowstuff again - seem to do the job well, reasonably priced

2) PFC Z-Rates front & either Yellowstuff or Streetmaster rear - somewhat cheaper, but hear they squeal more

3) Ferrodo DS2500  - twice the cost of Yellowstuff, hear they also noisier 

4) Other?

For daily and weekend driving I feel Yellowstuff are very good. For occasional track day would the difference be noticeable (I am not a late-braker) without constant noise on short distances?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

If you're easy on the brakes and aren't cooking them (or your bigger discs disperse heat better), then might as well stick with what is working for you. You don't want squealing brakes - it's annoying especially in the summer with the windows down.

Personally I've seen yellowstuff lead to brownstuff as they crumbled under heavy abuse. They'd not be my first choice, but as I said, if it works for you then there's not a problem.

Not squeeling pads at daily might be underperforming pads on track. If you can, i'd say to buy some hydraulic jack and another set of pads for track and change to those prior track day. Procedure of changing pads really isn't THAT difficult nor THAT time consuming. This way there would be no compromises both on track and during normal driving on public roads.

As for "i am not a late-braker" .. well, among things to learn at track, several braking techniques are among those that also one should try out & learn there. Not braking at right braking point but much sooner and less doesn't meant that it will be much easier on brakes, rather that one drives much slower then car can. After all, you could have still accelerating till point of right (hard enough) braking point. Lap time can be shortened (and sometimes gained wished turn in handling change) can also be got via trail-braking. Opposite to not braking late. Right braking points for specific track, trail braking, threshold braking, left foot braking, heal & toe, mass transfer with brakes, grip management (including it's braking part), lot of stuff worth learning. While indeed, it seems wrong to hard brake at daily driving outside very rare emergency braking cases, both comfort wise and to lessen chance someone rear ending one, it's opposite on track, where in hunt of speed & cutting lap times and for having more adrenaline & fun, comfort takes less precedence :). And as our cars are not too powerful, but relatively light, one of things how one can catch up to heavy powerful porkers is outbraking them.

And i somewhat predict, that after few track days driving there yourself, or eg. having feel as passenger in cars of other trackday participants or with HPDE instructor at wheel, soon you'll start brake as hard as they do :)

Just stick with what you have, it ain't broke. I'm sure the pads you have are more than up to the task. 

I run DS2500's. They do squeal slightly in day to day braking, not bad though. That doesn't bother me. They work fine for me on track. I have AP 4 pots on 330mm discs up front.