infernouk

Sunstrips for 86?

I know this is a potentially controversial subject due to the image/type of people driving cars with sunstrips, however I always liked their look and wondered if any are offered for the 86?

I see many American cars with them but few English! I have had a google and can’t see any UK manufacturers offering them 

cheers for any links 

I find normal sunglasses better fulfilling function of those sunstrips. Prefer to not limit in any way visibility when there is no direct low sunlight in car, and sunglasses can be used outside car too.

21 minutes ago, Church said:

I find normal sunglasses better fulfilling function of those sunstrips. Prefer to not limit in any way visibility when there is no direct low sunlight in car, and sunglasses can be used outside car too.

This is more for aesthetic than functional reasons otherwise I would agree 

5 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Generally you just buy a strip of vinyl and cut it to size. Any wrapping company will do it for you, the wipers come up too high though so it's an MOT fail.

I can put it on the inside? 

5 minutes ago, infernouk said:

I can put it on the inside? 

You could, might look a bit silly though. If you're doing that maybe some sort of tint film just on the top would suit better.

17 hours ago, Mike said:

Still an MOT failure on the inside isn't it? It's more that it obstructs the wiped area... can fit smaller wipers as long as you don't make the wiped area too small obviously...

Yes, it's the lack of vision through it that's the MOT fail, not that the wipers touch it. ;)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Yes, it's the lack of vision through it that's the MOT fail, not that the wipers touch it. ;)

If it enroaches on the wiper sweeping area by more than 40mm then it's a fail, it's not really due to lack of vision surely given that you can get smaller wipers and be fine but actually have more restricted vision in shitty weather but it would be a pass then. I understand the rule is there so that it doesn't affect vision so you are right, but changing the wipers will untimately allow it to pass MOT. The fail is due to the wipers touching it, not due to lack of vision :P 

It's kinda both. I'm guessing Rich meant the lack of vision through the wiped area rather than just the windscreen in general. The MOT basically says you can't have things blocking the wiped area. Wipers touching the sunstrip obviously show the sunstrip is in the wiped area, putting it on the inside won't help because the sunstrip is still causing a lack of vision out of the wiped area.

BTW, even stock vertical angle of vision is imho a bit narrower then in average other cars. I more often find top of traffic lights below field of vision at crossroads. Not allowing to reduce it even more .. i see some sense in it. (bad visibility through rear window and rear side quarter windows aside, which probably is rather common sacrifice for looks/style of high beltline/high rear design lines in modern cars).

Yeah, I meant what Mike said - that it doesn't matter if it's on the inside or not.

As for high beltline, that's often a crash safety "feature" as it's easier to reinforce a door than a window.

I just got a wrap company to make me one, also now run smaller wipers.

Mine looks thicker than Kev's.  Even with the smaller wipers it still catches the strip, but to be honest it cost next to nothing, so could just take it off for MOT

2017-10-11 (42)sunstrip.jpg