McDude

Tyre Choice(s)

Sorry, I know this has kind of been done before but I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

My car has Michelin Primacy tyres - possibly the originals, I don't know, but car has 28k miles so it is feasible. I quite like the tyres in the dry, but in the wet they are comical. If you are in the mood for it, it is fun but being honest it's a bit silly really.

So, I hear good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (I've driven PS2s in the past and liked them). But what I don't want to do is change the character of the car too much. I love the playful, throttle steerable nature in the dry. I'd hate to lose this with too much grip. But I want to have my cake and eat it as the playfulness goes too far in the wet.

Of course I could just get a new set of Primacy tyres but I don't think that would resolve the issue as the set I have still have a good bit of tread showing.

What are people driving and what characteristics does the tyre have?

I have PS4's and was slightly worried for the same reason as yourself especially as I upped the tread to 235's but no that I've done it I couldn't be happier.

I can still get it to play whenever I want up to an extent but there is much more grip there when required and I enjoy the car more now than I ever did before

Grip is sorta the enemy of play. My car is absolutely hilarious on Dunlop Wintersports, and is also largely immune to standing water. Loads of wheelspin and tail wagging available.

That said, the amount of grip available is only varied by degrees. A car with the '86's tight rear diff and setup will always like to wag its tail, and +/-10% grip or whatever isn't going to banish that, just require a bit more commitment to access...

If worried about too much grip, I'd consider something like the Contisport 5s and other mid-range performance tyres - ones that aren't too hard.

I've run Yoko V105s for ever now. Must be on my fourth set. I run stock sizes. Tried 225's but felt it interfered with the grip/handling balance so went back to 215's. For me they provide the perfect balance of grip and handling and work well in all conditions. I haven't tried PS4's and apaprently they offer more grip. I don't want more grip, I like the balance as it is. Richard at RRG gets the Yokos for a good price too which is a bonus. :)

I tried Contisport Contact 5's on the rear, but found that though they are nicely progressive (no more so than the Yokos), their lateral grip wasn't as good. They had better grip off the line though, which is probably why some like them. Sidewall not quite stiff enough too. 

The tip with the Yoko V105s is to go for the extra load option to get a stiffer sidewall. 

I've run Yoko V105s for ever now. Must be on my fourth set. I run stock sizes. Tried 225's but felt it interfered with the grip/handling balance so went back to 215's. For me they provide the perfect balance of grip and handling and work well in all conditions. I haven't tried PS4's and apaprently they offer more grip. I don't want more grip, I like the balance as it is. Richard at RRG gets the Yokos for a good price too which is a bonus.
I tried Contisport Contact 5's on the rear, but found that though they are nicely progressive (no more so than the Yokos), their lateral grip wasn't as good. They had better grip off the line though, which is probably why some like them. Sidewall not quite stiff enough too. 
The tip with the Yoko V105s is to go for the extra load option to get a stiffer sidewall. 
How much does rich get the yokos for Lauren?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

I badly needed a new set of tyres for my new Rota Blitz 17 x 8 alloys so I ordered from ProTyre who are just down the road in Micheldever.  Went for Falken Azenis FK-510, which are new and replace the FK-453.  225/45 R17 94Y XL worked out at £75.10 each fully fitted after the online discount, not bad at all.

First impressions are very good with assured handling, at least as good a ride as the Michelin Primacies and, to my surprise, lower road noise.  It now feels like my BRZ has the right level of grip for the increased torque from the TD NA tuning kit, so I'm well pleased.