Fenhopper

Unhappy with steering after changing tyres.

I recently had my Primacies changed for a brand new set of Yokohama Advan 105's all round. 

Since the Yoko's were fitted I've not been happy with the way the steering feels and have lost a bit of confidence with the car. The car feels twitchy at the front and pulls to the camber of the road at low speeds, the pulling is also noticeable  when braking at low speeds; it also steers itself over bumps at low speeds. By 'low speeds' I mean 30 mph or less. The issues do seem less noticeable at higher speeds, although I haven't yet had the opportunity for a really spirited drive yet.

First thing I did was check the tyre pressures, they are presumably correct at 35 psi all round. Then I got a laser four wheel alignment carried out at a local garage, who reported that it was basically OK, just one minor adjustment required. The alignment made no noticeable difference to me.

As someone who only became interested in cars relatively late in life, I appreciate that I may not have articulated my problem particularly well, or what seems weird to me may be normal, but I would welcome your comments and suggestions.

Thanks all,

Matt. 

23 minutes ago, Fenhopper said:

I recently had my Primacies changed for a brand new set of Yokohama Advan 105's all round. 

Since the Yoko's were fitted I've not been happy with the way the steering feels and have lost a bit of confidence with the car. The car feels twitchy at the front and pulls to the camber of the road at low speeds, the pulling is also noticeable  when braking at low speeds; it also steers itself over bumps at low speeds. By 'low speeds' I mean 30 mph or less. The issues do seem less noticeable at higher speeds, although I haven't yet had the opportunity for a really spirited drive yet.

First thing I did was check the tyre pressures, they are presumably correct at 35 psi all round. Then I got a laser four wheel alignment carried out at a local garage, who reported that it was basically OK, just one minor adjustment required. The alignment made no noticeable difference to me.

As someone who only became interested in cars relatively late in life, I appreciate that I may not have articulated my problem particularly well, or what seems weird to me may be normal, but I would welcome your comments and suggestions.

Thanks all,

Matt. 

How many miles have you done on them? 

Can you post your alignment numbers? Also what tire size?

To me it by wild guess seems more like case of not yet used to higher grip tires, that simply magnify "tramlining" a bit, magnifying self centering forces or bump-steer from suspension geometry, not slipping over when lesser grip tire would, but gripping it through. Or one pushing w/o loosing grip car more, again magnifying all forces and all traits. I myself got more tramlining from track-ish alignment (of more caster/and much more negative camber), but imho it might be possible to get something similar feel from grippier tires too.

I don't recall much change in tramlining and the like when I went to V105s tyres. Going to wider wheels with different offset made the most difference (as you'd expect).

57 minutes ago, Church said:

Can you post your alignment numbers? Also what tire size?

To me it by wild guess seems more like case of not yet used to higher grip tires, that simply magnify "tramlining" a bit, magnifying self centering forces or bump-steer from suspension geometry, not slipping over when lesser grip tire would, but gripping it through. Or one pushing w/o loosing grip car more, again magnifying all forces and all traits. I myself got more tramlining from track-ish alignment (of more caster/and much more negative camber), but imho it might be possible to get something similar feel from grippier tires too.

Thanks for your reply Church.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any sort of print out following my wheel alignment (which I was slightly miffed about), not that I would have been able to understand it myself anyway! Tyre size is standard 215/45/17 on standard wheels.

I think your analysis may be correct, a case of more grip to the road causing the car to 'follow' (for want of a better word) the road a bit more, and me not being used to that. I'll just have to see how I get on with it over time.

Regards,

Matt. 

I changed mine in the summer and have been pretty happy, same dry performance yet more predictable wet/greasy/very cold weather performance. I went from 215 to 225 square setup with a similar offset but 18s so I adjusted down the psi from what I believe is a stock 35psi to 33psi

Maybe not this time, but worth remembering for future to get alignment printouts. They may help for others in forum to spot if there are some unwished handling traits caused by alignment, or help tell what is needed to change to get some wished trait (thus to pass numbers to be dialed in to alignment shop at next visit), and they may also tell how good (or not :) ) job alignment shop has done.

32 minutes ago, Church said:

Maybe not this time, but worth remembering for future to get alignment printouts. They may help for others in forum to spot if there are some unwished handling traits caused by alignment, or help tell what is needed to change to get some wished trait (thus to pass numbers to be dialed in to alignment shop at next visit), and they may also tell how good (or not :) ) job alignment shop has done.

We live and learn. :)

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

I would say go out at some point and work those tyres. They always work better when they've seen some heat. You'll gain some confidence in them too, hopefully!

I think you are right, I will do that Lauren. I've been spending too much time commuting in the car, not enough time proper driving.

Maybe a silly question considering you moved from Primacies, but are you still on the stock wheels?  

The symptoms you are describing are usually caused by either bad alignment or scrub radius changing (usually from changing wheel offset), but it sounds fairly noticeable, so either the alignment guys lied, or you have a different problem :huh:

Find out your camber, caster and toe settings for front and rear, or everything is guesswork :)

Oh, and definitely do some 'proper' driving :D