Lowe

Rustproofing

Thinking longer term here... Since obviously all our cars are relatively new it's probably not on the radar for most people, but does anyone know what's been done at the factory to stop rust, especially underneath? I'm new to Japanese cars but keep hearing horror stories of Mazda's and the like rotting away from inside and underneath etc so I'm thinking whilst the car's fairly new to try and nip any potential tin worm in the bud. Thoughts? :)

22 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Thinking longer term here... Since obviously all our cars are relatively new it's probably not on the radar for most people, but does anyone know what's been done at the factory to stop rust, especially underneath? I'm new to Japanese cars but keep hearing horror stories of Mazda's and the like rotting away from inside and underneath etc so I'm thinking whilst the car's fairly new to try and nip any potential tin worm in the bud. Thoughts? :)

I've been looking at getting this done:-

https://9mshop.co.uk/epages/5c9a3e21-bdf7-419e-91e7-2c6a3305eb45.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/5c9a3e21-bdf7-419e-91e7-2c6a3305eb45/Products/S9MWAX

Firstly, the good news is Toyota/Subaru have attended to sill problems I've witnessed on older Jap cars. The rippled coating along the sills should protect them from the worst rot. Waxoyl is only useful for cold parts of the car but does a pretty good job.

The things I'd be looking to protect are exposed components like the headlight levelling sensors. I also wonder about the metallic floorpan/heatshield under the engine and the sump, but those can be cleaned up and repainted fairly easily though.

I realise this is an old thread, however it seemed the most appropriate place for a question of have on the issues of rust. 

I bought my GTS86 in Australia and brought it back to the U.K. when I returned last year. When I bought it I paid extra to have an electronic rustproofing device fitted. I remember vaguely at the time doing some research and finding that these devices actually work well. In Australia (north of Brisbane) I never had to worry about rust. Any rain would evaporate so quickly with the heat there that there wouldn’t be any standing water around. And they NEVER salted the roads anywhere around where I lived. The lowest temperature it ever reached was around 5 °C   

I’d love to hear from anyone else that has fitted these devices and whether or not there are any hints and tips for getting the most out of them?

Thanks in advance. 

I've been wondering about this as I'd like to keep the car long term. Is there anything I can do to protect things like exhaust bolts, suspension bolts etc..

5 hours ago, james_ly said:

I've been wondering about this as I'd like to keep the car long term. Is there anything I can do to protect things like exhaust bolts, suspension bolts etc..

Have a look here:-