HariboPenguin

Track day on a patched tyre?

What are peoples thoughts on tracking a tyre that has been puncture repaired?

I've already had a search around but some people say its fine and they've done it before with no issues and some people say its not (although the majority of these seem to be from the better safe than sorry angle rather than them doing it and actually having a problem).

Normally I'd be on the better safe than sorry side but money is a bit tight to get a new set before Bedford and wondered if I could get away with it for a single track day?

Should be no issues unless puncture was very big-wide to damage noticeably large portion of tire plies or noticeably tire thread. Patch from inside should be strong enough & airtight, it's ply that adds strength to tire. If anything, there might be slight vibration issues if not rebalanced, but tire repairers most probably balanced it again during mount on wheel after repair, right? And if being anal, there might be slight weight gain from patch. I see nothing to worry about.

11 minutes ago, GT86JP said:

Money's a bit tight? So what you gunna do if the tyre goes on the track day?

That's why I thought I'd ask for some advice to try and gauge if its a good idea or not. Plus I'd still have track insurance to cover me if the worse did happen.

13 minutes ago, Church said:

Should be no issues unless puncture was very big-wide to damage noticeably large portion of tire plies or noticeably tire thread. Patch from inside should be strong enough & airtight, it's ply that adds strength to tire. If anything, there might be slight vibration issues if not rebalanced, but tire repairers most probably balanced it again during mount on wheel after repair, right? And if being anal, there might be slight weight gain from patch. I see nothing to worry about.

3 minutes ago, Mikey P said:

Agree nothing to worry about, if it was safe to repair (not on edge) then consider it fixed, and safe to use track or road. 

Yeah, the puncture was just a thin nail and was nowhere near the outer edges of the tyre. The guys who did it rebalanced it before refitting and I've been using them for ages so I know it wasn't a half arsed job or anything.

HP - track insurance might cover you at a Bedford trackday . .  but what about the poor sod you could collect if the tyre blows?

It is totally, totally insane to take a car on track when there is a known weakness in a tyre. Cancel your entry, get your £169 back and buy a new tyre.

I have never seen such nonsense - from experienced drivers - saying it would be okay. Don't take my word for it - ask the scrutineer when your car is inspected.

Spec K

There _was_ "weakness" in tire. It was fixed, properly. Making it no less reliable then before. Oooh, or you have statistical data to prove otherwise and that all tire repair shops should be eliminated, as they endanger society? :)

If it's just a tyre that has been plugged as repair I would have no concerns whatsoever going on track. Did it with a repaired tyre this way many years ago. Total non-issue. Scrutineers don't inspect cars at track days btw. 

Keith, the way they repair the puncture means the patch cannot come out. The rubber is fused together and the patch is thicker on the inside so cannot be pushed outwards. I had it explained to me when I had mine repaired (with the TSS in mind) and there are no issues with having a repaired tyre on track - the only puncture repairs that wouldn't be safe are those not done properly or to an area of the tyre that shouldn't be repaired anyway.

If you imagine a cone of rubber with the fat end on the inside, that's more or less what a tyre patch is. You can't push it out with air pressure as it's too big and it won't fail inwards as the air pressure prevents that.

I'd be more worried about someone driving with an unknown defect than a patched tyre.