SarahTheDoc

Newby in Lancaster

Current Honda Civic 2.2 i CTDi owner, its old but drives like a beast. Gonna keep that as a second family (I-don't-care-if-it-gets-dinged) car and get an 86 or BRZ as my 'nice' but fun car.

Please let me know if you know of any for sale - specs I'm not bothered about, I'll make it my own car out of it, but I am interested in colour. White or .....ginger :-)

I'm going to make eyes roll now (sorry).

I'm still looking for a BRZ/ 86. When I test drove one, I LOVED it, so I'm happy to hang in there and wait for the right one. I am unlikely to be taking it to any track days, but I do like a car to have a few luxuries (as well as being a good drive). Here's where I'll make eyes roll....

Steering wheel controls. Sorry. I know the car is for driving, and the console has all the right buttons, but when you're a short arse, they just aren't easily reachable. This was the one turn off when I went for the test drive.

i have seen steering wheel controls on one of the BRZ (maybe the facelift?) but not on any other models. Can anyone enlighten me please? ...but don't berate me for wanting volume control on the wheel<_<

(aaaaaand I'm not keen on aftermarket stick-on stalks)

The steering wheel controls are on the new kouki version, so the revised 2017 model. So, your option is to buy a new model or go for having an extra stalk on the column of an older car as the older car does not have them. 

Welcome to the club, sadly, I'm not sure you'll be able to fit a new steering wheel to an old car, the head unit is different but who knows, don't know if anyone has attempted it. I know you can't retro fit the new instrument panel (the new digital display on the speedo that now reports oil temps and stuff) as a race team tried it out recently with no success.

Welcome, I sort of agree with you on steering wheel controls, providing they are conveniently placed out the way which most are, and it doesn't have loads of buttons then it's fine. 

I have gotten use to not having the controls on my GT86 now, but occasionally when some awful song comes on the radio and it's quite loud I would go to turn it down and hit a slight bump and turn the whole thing  off. And the volume control is very annoying for me as I always have to have my volume as an even number (I don't know why but I do).