jevvy

Ben From Leicesters GT86 Aero!

Hi, I'm Ben and im 22 years young from Leicestershire. Glad to meet you all and look forward to getting to know you

Ill start from the very beginning! a few months ago I decided I deserved a shiny newish car and was going from an audi a1 that I absolutely adored. I was considering an Audi TTS, Nissan 370z or a Gt86. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a GT86 when all my mates chimed in and dissuaded me towards the Audi. Admittedly its a great car but you spend more time braking than accelerating. Had the TTS for about 4 months and grew tired of the rigged scaletrix disconnected feel to the car, the neck breaking acceleration is nice for about 2-4 seconds before you have to brake. Then one faithful day I saw a gleaming white GT86 parked next to me in a car park and I new. I was going to own a gt86 (tts is for sale if anyone fancies it haha)

So begun my hunt! Had a sale fall through and left it a while and just test drove a GT86 every weekend for a couple weeks and eventually decided it was time to have another look, Right as all the ex demo aero models came onto the scene as the 17 model year was released! After ringing round hunting for the best deal. I settled on a Black Aero that I thought was a bargain. Its an automatic, still not sure if I should have gone for the manual but its easier to find a manual aero than an auto if I decide I want to change my mind ill bloody tell you that! On my drive back I found the automatic box very pleasing and don't really have any gripes with it and it doesn't really feel any worse than the audi auto gearbox that people seem to praise and the car definitely feels 100x more car like than my TTS did.

I'm not sure if its considered vulgar to say how much I paid but I'm sure people are curious and I don't mind saying and want to know if i really did get a bargain or not so feedback would be appreciated. Its a 15 plate black aero (auto) with 8800 miles and has the JBL sound system, rear sensors, half leather interior with heated seats and the sat nav which i believe is all the extras! I paid 19350 for the car and it came with a spare wheel same as the ones on the car. I traveled to Toyota all the way down in Torquay! Luckily one of my mums friends was headed that way so i nabbed a lift down today at 10am for the 4.5 hour journey, was worth it as I got to drive it all the way back! After i put the deposit down on the vehicle a week or so ago I started to plan my mods! A few YouTube videos and forum posts later I'd envisioned the path for my new pride and joy.

Exhaust - Wasn't too bothered what exhaust and being thrifty and indecisive I thought id just get whatever second hand one i could get my grubby hands on! Met a chap from the forum at 9pm in a dark halfords car park and chatted about GT86's in his passenger seat for the best part of an hour or two and left with a Tomei Type -80!  First car I am modding, I've got a friend who will be able to help me fit it but if anyone's in the Leicester-shire area and fancies a free lunch and some GT-86 chat is willing to help I would be grateful! Also ordered a blanking plate for a clean look the other side!

Interior - Found a few people who had refinished their interior by either painting or wrapping and decided it was the way forward, an hour of photo-shopping every colour under the sun I decided on Orange! but not just any orange the hot lava Toyota orange was the colour of choice. Wanting to preserve my cars factory finish I rang about a crashed 2015 giallo edition and off I went to sheffield armed with a fisttfull of notes and a couple of squeegee's to pluck the interior trim bits from its mangled remains. I think it was number 57 but i cant remember as I gave the heated seat sticker along with all the other bits to a good friend who owns a body shop to refinish! finding out tomorrow when i can get a hold of the bits and the number he has written on his blank cheque : p. So to whoever you are who crashed the yellow beast one mans under steer is another mans fancy replacement interior - No blood so I'm sure hes fine! I also have the speaker trims and pedals getting done!

Have included pictures for reference to everything! After spending 5 hours driving back today I feel like all the mx-5, TT, BRZ trio videos are clearly sponsored buy audi or maybe the Americans swoon at European cars. Every button (except the head unit buttons, except the head unit is 10x better than any other standard unit so buttons forgiven, plus lego wheels for 3.99 on ebay will hopefully fix it) all buttons are placed in a much more ergonomic position and feel nicer to touch. Although the dash and doors are clearly made of lightweight material to save weight. It feels high quality and overall I think its a much nicer cabin to sit in than my TTS. I have no idea why the interior gets such a bad write up, I really like it : P

Would love to hear thoughts on wrapping the roof orange or any other orange accents I could include. Also managed to get some orange aluminium dial covers from a forum post from 2 years ago (the last set the guy said he had so sorry guys :p)  was a good page to stumble onto!

Exterior - Messaged a yank on ebay and promptly had a set of gloss black badges shipped out. Really looking forward to this!

Also planning to get tinted up if anyone has had their GT86 done at somewhere not too far from Leicester please do let me know the price and how the work came out easier than ringing round i suppose : )

Mishimoto gear knob was the right colour for the job so that was an easy choice!

Saw a chap make a post about his square number plate and harris number plate tape so both were swiftly ordered

Also ordered a panel filter and the dealerships ordering me in an armrest and shipping it to me on the cheap!

Considering replacing the under diffuser for a fancier curvier one but had alot of trouble finding one for a reasonable price so would appreciate some opinions on this

Definitely want to do something with all the lights so would love some recommendations on what lights to get. I will probably just wait for some second hand ones as I don't want to do everything at once and apparently I get a kick out of being as cheap as possible when it comes to my car (probably because I have only just got it (or didn't even have it when i ordered all the parts) and don't want to make any regretful expensive decisions) going for the stealth look so anything applicable to that! yes this is also an advert to buy your unwanted lights!

Also want to get a map after ive got used to the car so i can feel the difference so thoughts on the best map and place for a remap would be great

Sorry for the dark pictures but i only got the car back tonight and it was... well... dark! Also whats the difference between the premium fuels and whats best? : )

Appreciate and and all advice and recommendation and definitely want to come to meetups ASAP! Sorry for making a long winded story out of my post but I wanted to be all encompassing and obviously love talking about my new car as I'm sure all you guys love talking about your eighty sixes/ brzeeees. Ill also throw in a mugshot from last time I was drunk enough to think taking a selfie was a good idea.

^5CC4CAEC90A9BBCD01B6AB86815380F047020EE4B62B679F47^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^8A4D167AF017DDC1348BA56EC7C022C937AF8E5AA476CAC20C^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^24C6B775780DE2835CE51749DA5CE6AA65334E7E21932386E3^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^160D22BB84DD3814ACD412E69E0772893D051DB1C9CA7CD913^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^58675A68F44C3F75CCED30E6069717725C6EC5EEE2891BB42A^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^372071D53608031B0D0D221373AC3ABBB451868AF2BC17DA44^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^86953216C95BDC2B4B8A6FA8B2536C1F4ED21BEB7F0B6FF0C1^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^94457998B2773836B98F1DEEF9EA29DE548F5CFCD6AB3FCA0B^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^847D574F87B794A942AEDFFAC505EE8D0332521DD964023E59^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^978C8A83DFA431CFD6C04026FABF61C1B94BB0C9D380816E88^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^1423F1040B6BA59DADD1D2066CF9CF904AA6BFF926E044068E^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Welcome, Ben, no messing with making progress there! I reckon that exhaust will wake the neighbours up. ;) You're just in time for the start of the whole season, so keep an eye on events and social meets to see what's going on closer to you. :)

Welcome XD , Also in leicester with a white 86, see you around :)  what are you going to do with the hole for the exhaust? I was temped for the Tomei but not sure about single exit 

2 hours ago, zhuonanli said:

Welcome XD , Also in leicester with a white 86, see you around :)  what are you going to do with the hole for the exhaust? I was temped for the Tomei but not sure about single exit 

Bought a blanking plate from amber performance for 50£ I'll upload some pics as I make progress, do you by any chance go to snap fitness? If so you were my inspiration for finally pulling the triggger when I parked up next to a gt86 at snap fitness 😂😂

9 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Yes I agree and a supply of these for long journeys

image.png

8 hours ago, zhuonanli said:

Did I by any chance see you outside Morrisons on Saturday? I was sat at the lights, first time I've seen another white in Leicester whilst I've been driving!

In answer to some of your questions. 98 Ron fuel is what you need. V-Power Nitro is best. Tuning Developments in Warrington are not too far from you and can do the remap. Or there's Fensport in the Fens. 

Also consider a shorter final drive to bring the gearing down as the auto is a bit intergalactic, so will make the gearing similar to the manual. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

In answer to some of your questions. 98 Ron fuel is what you need. V-Power Nitro is best. Tuning Developments in Warrington are not too far from you and can do the remap. Or there's Fensport in the Fens. 

Also consider a shorter final drive to bring the gearing down as the auto is a bit intergalactic, so will make the gearing similar to the manual. 

Thanks for the info! would love some more info on the shorter final drive and how much difference it would make and if there are any negatives or if its all positives! also where what how and cost! this is the first car I'm tinkering with so i don't have a great deal of knowledge or experience! YET

Well either of those two tuners mentioned can fit and supply a shorter final drive. Some say that there can be a little diff whine. It will make a reasonable difference as the final drive in the auto is a fair bit longer than the manual, so you would gain in acceleration and be closer to the manual in that respect. 

I have mfactory 4.67 final drive fitted (standard is 4.1) and best mod you can do for auto as improves drive throughout rev range. Fuel consumption drops a little but not that you will notice.

With mfactory you do get a little wine as it's semi helical cut but not as noisy as straight cut.

14 hours ago, Kaisersalsek said:

Did I by any chance see you outside Morrisons on Saturday? I was sat at the lights, first time I've seen another white in Leicester whilst I've been driving!

haha very possibly, i always go pass there XD

40 minutes ago, Kaisersalsek said:

I started seeing a white 86 around after December when you got yours... you must live fairly near me! 

haha yeah we should probably meet up for a drink or something, I used to go to DMU so im still living near it at the moment XD