Stutopia

BRZ New Jack

Hello!

I've been lurking on AutoTrader for months waiting for an in budget, relatively nearby, BRZ to take for a drive and finally one popped up last week. This morning I went and picked it up and have spent most of today enjoying what it feels like to shed 300kg overnight. I can confirm, it feels good to drop a belt loop or two, even if it's a bit unfamiliar at first. The 300kg I'm on about is the drop from my beloved 350Z, which the BRZ replaces (will replace when it sells), which I've looked after for the last 4 years (build thread here if you fancy having a look at that sort of thing. I hope it's ok to post a photo of it mods?

IMG_7140_zpsdc4ryzvl.jpg

But enough of the past, onto the present. My new love is a 2013 SE LUX in, frankly perfect, WR Mica Blue. It has 38k on the clock, a couple of former owners and is totally OEM - so far as I can tell. The colour lured me to the BRZ, over the GT86, and I'm very pleased with the state of the paint, it looks superb in the sunlight and aside from a a couple of small door dings I'll need to sort, it seems spotless. I can already see this is going to be a car you need to look back at after you've parked up and wandered off.

j3BePOS.jpg

xdpyNDC.jpg

QZpG4tV.jpg

I spent much time and money modding the Zed and I'm hoping that aside from a few minor adjustments (headunit, exhaust, brakes) I'll keep the BRZ pretty stock. It's a very nice place to be sat and it feels more nimble than I'm used to, so it's already well on it's way. That said, I do have some questions if you don't mind.

- The headunit in the BRZ is a bit of a disappointment and I miss the reverse camera from my Zed, is it easy enough to replace the HU and wire in a camera? 

- The brakes don't have the same bite as the ones I am used to (DBA T2 discs, DS2500 pads, SS lines), can anyone recommend a good fast road, street legal, pad I might upgrade to?

- I've noticed condensation in the passenger side light:

FeXLdSK.jpg

- Is this at all common and/or a cheap & easy fix?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to trying to make a contribution to the place. I'm off for a browse and then I suppose I should read the owners manual too :)

Stu

For the condensation, warranty job.

For the pads, stoptech or hawk pads are decent, relatively cheap and not as squealy as the stock ones.

You can fit a reverse camera but not sure how easy it is with the BRZ head unit.

Welcome and I'm now off to read your 350z mods thread, got a soft spot and yours looks very clean.

Welcome, my brother has a 350z too. 

I prefer the lighter type of car. 

Unfortunately I can't help on your questions. Although I can add that the reverse camera has been a great addition to my car. 

Congrats. :)

The head unit in the BRZ is even worse than the Toyota one. It's easy to change though. Lots of people have installed reversing cameras, so it's not a problem. 

My rear lights have had condensation in them. I admit, such things don't worry me, but you can get it repaired under warranty. 

There are loads of options for brake pads. I'm just about to try a set of Project Mu HC800's, have a search for the thread, 'brakes', plenty of info in there. 

Thanks for the warm welcome :thumbs: 

Good news on the headunit, I've been having a look already and found a couple of useful instal guides. Looks like the HU is much easier to get at than I'm used to :)

10 hours ago, Paul said:

For the condensation, warranty job.

For the pads, stoptech or hawk pads are decent, relatively cheap and not as squealy as the stock ones.

You can fit a reverse camera but not sure how easy it is with the BRZ head unit.

Welcome and I'm now off to read your 350z mods thread, got a soft spot and yours looks very clean.

Hope you enjoyed the read, I've tried my best to keep it a tasteful build, except the engine cover.

Hey welcome! You have a beautiful car, I know what you mean about looking back every time you get out I still cant stop looking at mine.

Welcome. I've come over from a 350z as well, tho I kinda of ended up in an 86 by accident.

Went to test drive one. "Just going to see what they're like to drive" I said. Returned home having agreed to pick it up the next weekend.

Had a very pleasant ride over snake's pass to Sheffield, excellent route (when you get lucky with traffic) to enjoy the twisties, loved it. Had to work the gear stick a bit more than I'm used to but I don't mind that when I'm in enthusiastic mode :)

Congrats and welcome to the club!  Head unit is a doddle to fit and same with a camera if you have one that connects to your heard unit (the boot trim should have an outline where you can cut out for a camera to be fitted, the most difficult be was threading the cable through the rubber flex pipe from the boot lid into the boot area.  As for the condensation, not seen the front like fog up but the rears are common because they are over tightened and the gasket gets squashed and doesn't seal properly because of it, not sure if this applies to your front DRLs though.

1 hour ago, Keethos said:

Congrats and welcome to the club!  Head unit is a doddle to fit and same with a camera if you have one that connects to your heard unit (the boot trim should have an outline where you can cut out for a camera to be fitted, the most difficult be was threading the cable through the rubber flex pipe from the boot lid into the boot area.  As for the condensation, not seen the front like fog up but the rears are common because they are over tightened and the gasket gets squashed and doesn't seal properly because of it, not sure if this applies to your front DRLs though.

That saves me asking why I woke up to condensation in the rears yesterday!

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, Ztox said:

Welcome along :)

I have a bit of a thing for zeds too. Nearly owned a 350 once and a close friend owned one for a while. 

Everyone should own one once! For the price they're superb and sadly the time for big NA lumps seems to be coming to an end :(

14 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

Everyone should own one once! For the price they're superb and sadly the time for big NA lumps seems to be coming to an end :(

Yup :(. I've told him to try an 86 just to rule it out if nothing else but the same friend is looking at getting a 370 sometime in the not too distant future.