Sign in to follow this  
ThatGuyThere

I found a worn thing - not sure what it is, or how concerned to be - pls help

Hi

Apologies for multiple topics, not sure on the correct way to ask unrelated questions.

Found this, when adjusting suspension. I'm fairly clueless mechanically, so I have no idea what I'm looking at, or how worried I should be. It could be old damage, caused by something no longer on the car. I have no idea.

Same on both sides - photos below.

2017-02-19 17.02.32.jpg

2017-02-19 16.09.32.jpg

I may be wrong but I think this had some suspension parts that were swapped back to standard, maybe that both sides were damaged removing the old/new parts. I don't recall clips in the threads on the joints either buts its been a while since I've been under mine.

53 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

I may be wrong but I think this had some suspension parts that were swapped back to standard, maybe that both sides were damaged removing the old/new parts. I don't recall clips in the threads on the joints either buts its been a while since I've been under mine.

You are quite right. Jonathan had Tein coilovers on it when he had the car but he put it back to standard before selling it. It's either damage a maybe a big wide rim has rubbed it? Hard to tell from the pic. But just the handbrake cable and only the outer sheath, so not serious. 

Mines having some work done today and noticed mine also seems to have that issue although hardly at all on the driver's side and mostly on the passenger side. Only thing I can think of is that the protective bracket is actually catching and rubbing it as the suspension compresses at the rear?

As that's two of us I'm guessing there may be a few more with it too....

IMG_20170220_114502.jpg

IMG_20170220_114526.jpg

When I fitted my coilovers I took note of how little play there is in the handbrake line and disconnect the roll bar so I could see how everything moves under full compression before fitting the coilover unit. 

I suspect its a result of being lowered quite a lot and hitting some bumps. The cable is being pulled tight like a string and rubbing the bent piece of metal.