nathaniel

V12 Build?

Hi All

I am fairly new to these forums but I have been an 86 owner for almost a year now. 

Recently I've been inspired to do something crazy. Someone put a Ferrari V8 into one of our cars. My question to you guys is do you think it is possible for a V12 engine swap.

Specifically a BMW 5.0l M70 V12. 

Any help, comments, tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Don't follow the crowd, be unique.

Most things are possible. Do you intend to do it or are you going to pay someone to do it?

Why the M70? thats a big engine, its also old and not very powerful, I don't see any reason why you would want to fit it to a GT86.

The M70 has something like 300hp and probably weighs somewhere in the region of double the FA20. 

I admire your ambition, but consider your options before spending any money. You'd be making the cae significantly worse to drive (given that weight distribution and CoG would be shifted forward) just for 100hp and something unique. That's a lot of work and money for little reward.

If you didn't care about power and just wanted a V12, a 1GZ-FE might be a better shout as it's a Toyota engine already. Makes around 300hp/350lbft and probably fairly cheap, but same downsides as mentioned already.

40 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

If you didn't care about power and just wanted a V12, a 1GZ-FE might be a better shout as it's a Toyota engine already. Makes around 300hp/350lbft and probably fairly cheap, but same downsides as mentioned already.

Good luck finding one.

I admire the desire to be different, and fitting a V12 would definitely be different... I think the main problem you'll face with any engine swap is the length of the engine to include the extra cylinders, as a flat four the engine is only 2 cylinders "long" whereas a V12 would be 6 cylinders "long"... Plus as mentioned previously, that is a big heavy engine that isn't even very powerful... If you want to swap a V12 you want the newest one you can get your hands on, simply because it will be more compact, lightweight and more powerful...

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk