surrey86

Track tyres on standard suspension?

I'm pondering getting some grippier tyres fitted onto a spare set of oem wheels for track days. I'd be using the standard size, so 215/45/17.

Has anyone ran sticky track tyres with standard suspension? I'm wondering if it's going to start tying the original shocks in knots.

ps. These would be soley used driving to/from the track and on track. (If it came to it I could always carry them there with the seats down.)

Cheers

I used some federal 595 rsr's on stock suspension all summer (semi slicks)  and the car handled so well that I set an really respectable time. I found it very responsive but if anything. Get some camber bolts just to give you a little bit more negative camber on the front and the turn in is a hell of a lot better.  The tyres helped me use the chassis but by the end of the day I could tell I was near the limits of the stock suspension. 

It's not ideal tbh. It will work and you will go round the track quicker, though track days are not about setting laptimes. A better bet would be to fit a decent list 1a tyre as it will be a lot more fun anyway. Then you can just run them all the time if you so wish. A grippier tyre means that when the car does slide you will be doing so at a higher speed, so it maybe harder to catch and will work the stock suspension harder. 

I used the Primacy tyres on stock suspension for the first two years I had the car. It's surprising how quick you can go on them if you know your stuff and it was an absolute hoot and helped me to learn the car and with sliding at slower speeds, I could play with it more. I even ran the Primacy tyre when I changed my suspension and kept them on for sprinting and the occasional track day. These days though I prefer the balance of running a better road tyre (Yoko V105) when I'm on track and what I use as my road tyre anyway. 

Have you done a lot of track work? 

Thanks for the responses, all good info.

At the moment I'm already running camber bolts on the front. I've not had it measured but it looks a bit over -1. The balance isn't too bad and I could go more negative using oem camber bolts in the top hole but it feels like it might not be worth it with the relatively soft sidewall on the front Primacy's.

I'm a track novice, 4 car days and 3 bike days done. All of my car days have been done with touring type tyres, Bridgestone Turanzas on a 130i or Primacy's. 

I enjoy the Primacy's on the road and track but starting to think I could have more fun on track with a 'sharper' tyre, I.e. something grippier and harsher that effectively ups the spring rate using the tyre itself. But if that turns the shocks into a mess it's not worth it.

I'll have a look at that tyre list, thanks Lauren.

Ade, I haven't thought of what to go for yet, I passengered in Steve's car at Bedford with AD08's which were impressive but he was running KW V3's. I had KW V1's on my Impreza which were great but I'm not sure I want to go down the slippery coilover slope on the 86 just yet!

I do like the stock suspension, it rides really well over the unclassified roads I hack down on the way to work.

It's not tire sideflex, that may noticeably change suspension working with performance tires. It's their grip.

With grippier tires you'll push more into curves, car will roll more, will ride more on bumpstops with bottomed out shocks, and probably play in stock compliant bushings will become more apparent. With stock primacies one usually lost tire grip prior all that happening and before higher cornering speeds and bigger side forces reached :).

More often then not from suspension tuners/engineers, first question comes - which tires, prior giving out any advise.

If I was you, I'd just stick a good road tyre on. You also get the benefit of getting used to it and playing with it on the road, so you are better prepared for what it will be like on track. Better suspension will reap more dividends than putting a stickier tyre on. Plus you'll learn more. No offence to those that do, but a lot of people put a stickier tyre on as it means they will be less likely to reach the limit of grip and thus they learn less about the cars handling and develop their car control to a lesser degree. 

Choices etc. :)