Andrew Smith

Back in the seat

Long story short, I managed to total my black 86 on the way to TSS last august and have been gutted ever since. Today I bought a beautiful white one from a lovely chap up in Manchester. I couldn't be more pleased....happy days 😎

Great stuff! Ah, well I knew it was you that didn't make it to Angers in the summer. I heard something about an accident on the slip road. Dare I ask, plans for the TSS next year? :)

Hell yeah Lauren, Saturday night gigs permitting I should be able to make it to a few rounds. The worst thing for me is that I am not really sure why it happend. Damp road, slight curve (A5 slip at Chester), tyres down to 3mm all round and the biggie...all aids off. The thing is that I had been driving spiritly for the first 75 mile with no bother but at that point, not being too sure that I was going the right way, I was accelerating gently around the long mild curve of the slip road when the car snapped vilently sideways giving me no time to react. The front end went in to the hedge and found a small tree, totaling the car. I dont believe I was doing much more than 40mph. The tyres,Conti 5s were near the end but recently I have been thinking about heat cycles. They had done 5 track days and wondered if they had gone  hard. The other idea is diesel or some other on the road and the last is was I going quicker than I thought.

Ultimately if TC had been on I am sure it would have saved me.....lesson learned.

A good way of telling how your tyres are is that they gain a blue tinge when they've been heat cycled too many times. The Conti's are quite predictable but not so hot on lateral grip was my feeling when I ran them. Unless you're pushing on very hard, sport mode is the mode of choice on the road I would say. Still, as you say lesson learned, look forward to meeting you at the TSS at some point. :)

7 hours ago, Lauren said:

A good way of telling how your tyres are is that they gain a blue tinge when they've been heat cycled too many times. The Conti's are quite predictable but not so hot on lateral grip was my feeling when I ran them. Unless you're pushing on very hard, sport mode is the mode of choice on the road I would say. Still, as you say lesson learned, look forward to meeting you at the TSS at some point. :)

Spot on Lauren, I had given those tyres some hammer and they had blued. I think a second set of wheels and tyres for track use is the way to go next year. 

Sorry to hear this Andrew, don't know if you saw me but I actually passed you while you were sat by the car on your phone, I later realised that it was probably you who didn't turn up for the round.  Glad you were alright and also glad that your back in another 86!  Any new plans for this one?

I didnt see you pass, I was probably too busy being mardy. It was a lovely crash really, not so much as a stiff neck, not a bad place to be when it all goes wrong 

The main plan is to try and keep it out of the hedge, it doesnt seem to take much of a shunt to break them.

I need to sort out a few little issues with the car, one of them being that the remap was done with a few mods but now the car is back to standard I am using the stock map to be safe. I think i will had a TD manifold and k&n filter again then a remap. A set of Teins is on the cards as well. Hopefully I can get my spanners out on Sunday and have a tinker