Foulsmell

Gutted header cat

Hi All.

Was looking at this thread...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96235

.. where they have just gutted the cats and tuned the car basically.

The results look around 80% of a replacement header but at a fraction of the cost. Also almost deleting the torque dip.

IMG_8004.thumb.JPG.94a8a3b7ad1002681c13f

Has anyone done this over here? What are your thoughts?

Cheers.

38 minutes ago, knightryder said:

My OEM mani has no cat..... not gutted though. Also SC, so can't really comment.

Try it, why not?.... it's free. A replacement mani is cheap if you don't like it.

so you chopped the section out and replaced it with another bit of pipe?

10 hours ago, Tareim said:

so you chopped the section out and replaced it with another bit of pipe?

Mark at Abbey motorsport did it for him few years ago. I'm tempted as it doesn't appear to add too much noise. 

10 hours ago, Tareim said: so you chopped the section out and replaced it with another bit of pipe?

Mark at Abbey motorsport did it for him few years ago. I'm tempted as it doesn't appear to add too much noise. 

Cheers. I don't think the noise would be too much difference.

I've got a resonated Milltek anyway so won't be too loud.

Mark at Abbey was doing a swap scheme at one point, where to save time and a bit of money you could give him your manifold and he would give you one that he had already modified.  Not sure if he's still doing it or not.

Hi,

catching up with emails.

Yes we did a few of these a while ago , It doesn't remove the torque dip we found, it helps make the torque dip a little less obvious.

approx a £400-00 job , quite labour extensive job , to remove all the heat shields , cut the cut out and fabricate the pipe to replace the Cat and weld up and refit all the heat shields

Hi,

catching up with emails.

Yes we did a few of these a while ago , It doesn't remove the torque dip we found, it helps make the torque dip a little less obvious.

approx a £400-00 job , quiet labour extensive job , to remove all the heat shields , cut the cut out and fabricate the pipe to replace the Cat and weld up and refit all the heat shields

Cheers Mark.

The one on the thread just smashed the cat in and didn't replace with a straight pipe.

Don't suppose you've got any plots?

Even if not £400 with replacing with stright pipe, but simply smashing primary cat, i'd leave stock as is.

1) cheapest aftermarket headers are not too expensive, eg. gruppe-s and alikes ..

2) they'll get rid from torque dip too & are lighter then stock

3) you'll have your free stock header for when/if sometime in future MOT inspection rules may get stricter and for when you'll sell your car without need to buy one used from someone parting out. Unmodded/stock cars often are much easier to sell, and sometimes even at premium vs modded ones.