Eddyf93

Door glass issues

So the car was frozen solid at the weekend and the windows were frozen shut, making it hard for the door glass to drop when opening the door. After a few times trying it eventually broke free and opened as usual. 

From then on, when I open the door the glass will drop, but doesn't rise when closing. So I have to press the window up button when inside the car, to shut the window, but have the same issue when leaving the car. A problem anyone has heard of? 

Also, passenger side window will not open or close when using the button on the drivers door card, but works fine when using the passenger side button. Need help! Driving me mad these issues 

Never knew there was a reset procedure, looked it up, did it on the car and voila! All is working again. Seems the car put the windows into some sort of fail safe mode because of the frozen weather. Thanks nikndel! 

10 minutes ago, Eddyf93 said:

Never knew there was a reset procedure, looked it up, did it on the car and voila! All is working again. Seems the car put the windows into some sort of fail safe mode because of the frozen weather. Thanks nikndel! 

No worries but don't forget lube your rubbers😛

I've got the same problem in mine, however the passenger side switch is well synchronised but every time I try to do the driver side it goes down,  clicks then goes up but after 10seconds it switches the backlights off and upon releasing the switch it just goes back to flashing again. No matter how many times I do it, it just doesn't sync but rather just overheats the motor, anyone got any ideas?? 

Tried both but the passenger side switch doesn't do anything. Also tried it once with the passenger side switch to do both with still the same outcome. 

Just checked my wording on the previous post, I meant to say that the passenger window switch doesn't operate them from drivers side but it works no problem from the switch on the passenger door. It's the drivers side side that is problematic for both sides. I even tried disconnecting the wiring from the switch and disconnecting the battery to reset the body control but even that hasn't helped...

If the quick reset method doesn't work then take it to the dealer for a proper reset using their diagnostics computers.  I was having the same issue and they tried using the method which is the next step up from the quick reset method........though sadly this didn't work for me either but this was because I had a blown part (window ecu or something) which needed replacing.....not to say that you might have a blown part, unless you had some idiot who decided to put a car battery to it to try and get the window to move after it had already gone past the limit....  This was the body shop that repaired my car, allowed the window to drop too far and couldn't get it back up again, so instead of taking the window out, thought it might be a power thing, decided to put 12v straight into the window stitches to try and raise the window.....turns out most of the electronics inside the car run off 6v or something.

"allowed window to drop too far and couldn't get it back up again" - reset procedure helps this. Just that i didn't know about it back then and had to drive with window open to dealership. In winter. Very windy and very cold :( if in winter and if at speed above 60kmh on speedo.

I wonder though if it would have worked right away or if it needed for something to thawn off first. I'm guessing that it's rather former, due window not being completely unmovable, but rather movable one way only, down. When complained about problem, that it's too undrivable/cold due this and i don't want to leave car that can be easily got in by thieves/snow and so on parked in public spot.. dealership's mechanic walked out, made all-knowing-superiority face, did reset procedure with first down & keep hold few sec, then up and few sec, telling that it's "to reset powered window controller" and i drove away, as they of course didn't charge for this "fix".

I guess this might be common to other cars with framless windows doors too. At very least lowering when opening and rising back when closing is thing i've later on heard about other cars from different vendors with frameless door windows too (supposedly to lessen chance shattering glass and to not make unpleasant feel in ears with pressure change on closing), so if not the reset procedure itself, then at least frozening & misdetection of obstacle to glass closing might be common for them too. Friend with legacy outback had experienced such issues long before me. :)

P.S.

Imho procedure don't need to keep pressed button for full 10sec. IIRC less (~3sec) did the job for me too.

Church I think you misunderstand, the window and motor was all removed when the car was being repaired and when he refitted the window, the scissors went past their limits which meant the window would not move at all, so either reset procedure would not have worked, in the end, he had to removed the glass and motor again, extend the scissors a bit before putting everything back together again but sadly by then, he had already too much current into the system and shorted something.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk