Sign in to follow this  
Neal

Clay and lube

Hi I've recently finished off my clay bar and the lubricant it came with cleaning a friends car ready for sale.  The filthy piece hadn't even chucked a bucket of water at the poor car in her ownership she said it looks clean when it rains.  But that's another matter.

Is the a preference of clay type brand of clay and type / brand of lubricant which works well together.

I've been using autoglym and although it works I'm overly impressed.  It takes lots of effort to pick up everything on my car which is washed weekly and clayed and polished monthly.

There's different grades of clay, try Bilt Hamber clay bars, they are very good and you don't need a lube for it, you can use a hose the wet the car of fill a trigger bottle up with water. Infact you don't need a specific lube for any clay really, you may find it glides a little better due to it's softening agents in it.

Autoglym is pretty fine, though not a bay clay. Bilt Hamber is good stuff though and i've tried a few!

I've always used Bilt Hamber. It is good stuff as already said.

But this time around I used a Farecla clay mitt which I was impressed with. Use a clean bucket of shampoo for the lube and it takes about a quarter of the time.

49 minutes ago, maurice said:

Isn't claying monthly a bit excessive? I've only ever done it rarely before a machine Polish as I've found it tends to leave some small scratches. 

I'd say yes, but it's autoglym tbh and its fine as anything, as he's polishing monthly one will assume he's using SRP anyway which is a filling compound as opposed to an abrasive. I personally will only clay once a year as my mileage is not high, higher mileage maybe twice a year. Polish every 3-5 years :) 

Thanks for the responses.

I only clay two panels at a time so it takes 6 months to get back to the start. 

My polish fills in the marks rather then being abrasive.

I've not come across a clay mit before is it as simple as it sounds? Just wipe the bodywork with a dry mit or is there more to it.  

I use a soapy bucket of water as lube then you just wipe the car is if you were cleaning it with a wools mitt. You can feel it working and once a panel is clean from contaminants, it takes minutes to do a whole car.

As with any clay product the car needs to be clean before use. This is a pretty good review of it on detailing world...  http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=330602