edobrez

steering wheel volume controls - retrofitting

I am really annoyed by the missing volume controls on the steering wheel.

What options do I have to have them fitted to a 2015 car (and how much would that cost me ...) ?

thanks

Edo

To retrofit, I know of no kits that exist. The 2017 wheel may be able to be retrofitted, but as an OEM Toyota item, don't be surprised if the price is near a grand.

If you wanted to do it yourself, you could. You'd have to trace the volume up/down wires in the harness, and wire a switch to each of them, then find a neat solution to add two switches to the wheel. Could be done for as little as a few quid, but would look shit.

Long story short, just forget about it.

9 hours ago, edobrez said:

I am really annoyed by the missing volume controls on the steering wheel.

How can something that never existed be "missing"?

My pot of gold is "missing", can someone please find it?

10 hours ago, Paul said:

How can something that never existed be "missing"?

My pot of gold is "missing", can someone please find it?

:D

I had found them on most cars (I also often rent cheap cars for travel), except my Lotus Elise where I did not miss them.
But I do find I'd need them on the GT86

Touch & Go interface is too uncomfortable to use. I find myself diverting too much attention and for too long when dealing with radio/music selection interfaces. Yes, one shouldn't do that unless stationary, but it wouldn't be that bad if done without taking hand from wheel and if without turning eyes from road to glance if you press right too small buttons that need to be pressed for too long or too many times (eg. to scroll long list of albums that may fit on flashdrive with mp3s).

I also loved the look and feel of that smaller/thinner 2017 steering wheel !

I've added a small fat black elastic band around the standard volume control of my 2013 GT86 - not very scientific but it makes it easier/quicker/safer to grip and use, whilst driving!