gubby85

Hi from Scotland

Hi all,

Have been researching gt86's for a while and have ended up putting down a deposit on a 62 plate ( 13 reg ) today.

Obviously you shouldn't buy the first one you see but this one was local to me, low mileage and 18 months of the Toyota warranty left which should cover anything that crops up, I hope!

Had a good look round it and the only thing I could really pick fault at was some of the paint ( red ) was a bit swirly when the light hit it. I would imagine this could be sorted with a machine polisher but someone will probably come along and update me on this.

Also has the leather embossed heated seats which I have never seen on a similar age gt86 and they really do lift the cabin.

I realise the horse has already bolted but is there anything to keep my eye out for during the first few weeks with the car?

Looking forward to chatting to all of you and tapping into your wealth of knowledge

Cheers Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and welcome to the club Scott.  Any plans for the car at all?  Mods?  Trackdays?  Car Shows etc?

Nothing major but lil stuff like condensation in the rear tail lights due to over tighten bolts damaging the seals.  Rust on the small pillar by the small triangle glass on the doors.  Vertical scratches on the windows due to the rollers scratching.  There's a voluntary recall for a power steering fault.  Probably some other minor issues but can't remember.

9 hours ago, gubby85 said:

Hi all,

Have been researching gt86's for a while and have ended up putting down a deposit on a 62 plate ( 13 reg ) today.

Obviously you shouldn't buy the first one you see but this one was local to me, low mileage and 18 months of the Toyota warranty left which should cover anything that crops up, I hope!

Had a good look round it and the only thing I could really pick fault at was some of the paint ( red ) was a bit swirly when the light hit it. I would imagine this could be sorted with a machine polisher but someone will probably come along and update me on this.

Also has the leather embossed heated seats which I have never seen on a similar age gt86 and they really do lift the cabin.

I realise the horse has already bolted but is there anything to keep my eye out for during the first few weeks with the car?

Looking forward to chatting to all of you and tapping into your wealth of knowledge emoji3.pngemoji1303.png

Cheers Scott.

Mines a 12 plate and has these seats which I am told are a optional extra and are fitted when the car arrives in UK

Welcome aboard. :)

With regard to the seats, the full leather wasn't available until 2013. This could be possible that a 62 plate has them, but it was certainly not an option when I ordered mine in January 2013, so I can't work out how Nick has them on a 12 plate. The only options available then were the cloth seats or leather/alcantara which is what I have. 

19 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard. :)

With regard to the seats, the full leather wasn't available until 2013. This could be possible that a 62 plate has them, but it was certainly not an option when I ordered mine in January 2013, so I can't work out how Nick has them on a 12 plate. The only options available then were the cloth seats or leather/alcantara which is what I have. 

My car was 1 year old when I got it but cannot find any previous history on it Prehaps it was fitted after it  got to a dealership 

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting information regards the seats. I wasn't aware they weren't available until 2013. My car wasn't on the road until 2013 so maybe that has something to do with it but I am glad it has them as they are very nice.

At the moment I have no plans around modifying the car or track days. The only thing I think I will need to look into is the standard stereo as it doesn't seem the best. Is the amp able to handle better speakers if I was to fit them in the doors? It will be a a weekend car so if it can be more reliable than my previous 350z that would be great.

Also maybe it is just me but I thought the induction noise sounded quite good when I test drove it everywhere seems to slate it.

Regarding the Custom Leather Option :

I have this on my car which was registered 31st July 2013 due to the Negotiated Deal that was made,although the car didn't arrive until the beginning of August but in order to get this Option my car came direct from Japan which took just over 4wks as it was a Factory Fit Only

daeccaeb92a7be2a11c8d52682b759e4.jpg

It was simply a no brainier when I ordered them as was the same price as the Leather/Cloth Option at £1,600 !!!!

I find them so comfortable and really grip you when out on Track

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

That is the seats I have. Interesting to hear it came direct from Japan like that. They were really nice on the test drive and will be good to have the heated option during the winter.

After seeing the arm rest In the picture I definitely want that how much is that and can you get Toyota to fit it?

Cheers

Nigel, your seats are not a factory option, they were fitted at Portbury Docks like everyone elses. All cars are made in the same factory in Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture, Japan. I've been there. 

The half leather are leather/alcantara, not leather/cloth. 

Scott, the stock sound system can be vastly improved by fitting different speakers. Focal do a direct replacement which is not too pricey and makes a big difference. Unfortunately the stock head unit is poor with no seperate line out for an an amp and sub etc, but if you haven't got the sat nav then it might be worth considering swopping the head unit for something decent. But it all depends upon how much you like to hear your music of course. 

You can fit the arm rest yourself, it's a matter of drilling some holes into your centre console, a number have done it without issue. Or you could pay for your dealer to fit it, I suspect it wouldn't take that long. 

I will definitely look into the focal door speakers Lauren. Is this a relatively simple job to do yourself? Not something I have done on a car before

Wherever the seats were fitted I'm glad they are in the car although I would of been happy with the leather and alcantara option.

I'm hopefully picking the car up on Monday or Tuesday and will up load some photos then.

Really looking forward to driving a proper sports car as I always felt the 350z was more of a GT and kind of fell apart on the back roads.

I had a pro-install with a slightly different set of Focals, but my understanding is the plug and pray ones are not hard to fit and use existing mounting points and wiring, so it's just matter of removing the old ones and plugging the new ones in. Rob fitted a set for another member. 

Have fun in your car when you pick it up. You'll certainly enjoy those back roads. :)

According to dealer when i had my cover repaced, there are 2 type's,  port of entry fit and factory fit which mine supposedly are. 

What he said above !!

My car was a Factory Order hence why I had to wait so long !!!!

....and yes Lauren I know it's not Cloth,but for the life of me I couldn't remember how to spell the other word ! This is precisely why I don't post on this Forum very often because of certain know it all's !!

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

Got the car yesterday!

Will get a photo up as soon as I get a chance.

I have never jumped in a car and so quickly felt comfortable to be wanting to press on coming out of corners, that feeling of yaw Chris Harris went on about is so true it goads you into going faster.

In the 350 I always felt it would bite this car wants to play.

That's once I have got the door to open however.....am I supposed to walk up to it touch the lines in the door handle and it should open? Mine seems not to work 100% of the time! Also one of the key batteries is flat, is it just a case of changing the battery or does the dealer need to do this to code it?

Thanks

Hi from Aberdeenshire.....whereabouts in bonnie Scotland are you. ..?   Re door lock you only press the line when you lock it ......just grab the handle to open.

Ian.....

1 hour ago, gubby85 said:

Got the car yesterday!

I have never jumped in a car and so quickly felt comfortable to be wanting to press on coming out of corners, that feeling of yaw Chris Harris went on about is so true it goads you into going faster.

That's once I have got the door to open however.....am I supposed to walk up to it touch the lines in the door handle and it should open? Mine seems not to work 100% of the time! Also one of the key batteries is flat, is it just a case of changing the battery or does the dealer need to do this to code it?

Thanks

no code needed when changing fob battery

Hi Ian I'm across in Ayrshire so a bit of a jaunt from you! Your aero looks lovely on the other thread. I will try just walking up to the car and opening it straight away tonight. Does the passenger door work the same?

45 minutes ago, gubby85 said:

Hi Ian I'm across in Ayrshire so a bit of a jaunt from you! Your aero looks lovely on the other thread. I will try just walking up to the car and opening it straight away tonight. Does the passenger door work the same?

As long as you have the key with you, the passenger door is the same. I have family in the Glasgow area and  the Outlaws are in Lanarkshire, so I'm down now again.

like you, my 86 is just for a bit of weekend fun...👍

Yeah just place your hand behind the handle like you are about to open the door, give it a second and it should unlock and then pull the handle and to lock, just brush and place a finger/hand over the lines at the end of the door handle.  The way the system opens the passenger side is dependant on the settings from the dealer or whoever, you can unlock just the drivers side from the door handle or you can unlock both and the same applies to the remote lock/unlock on your fob, you can set the car to unlock just the drivers side or both, your dealer can sort that out for you.

To replace the battery, just release the key from the fob and use the end of the key to twist the base of the fob open, then swap out the battery.

Got the car yesterday!

Thanks

Just put your hand in the handle and wait a second or so before pulling (you'll hear it unlock).

Thanks chaps regarding the door opening, working a treat now.

Just one more thing would I be right in thinking it's not the sweetest sounding engine from the outside while sitting at idle? Got home tonight and got out to open the garage door and could help but notice it doesn't sound great. Sounds good when in the car and it's being reved but just concerned me it didn't sound quite right.

Maybe just me being paranoid though but would appreciate your thoughts.

Also when it stops raining I'll get some decent photos up.

Thanks.