Leosille

RYANS HKS SC 86

Hey, I'm Ryan from Surrey, thought i'd share a little of my car background first.

First sort of performance car was a 350z.

IMG_0338.JPG

678.JPG

One of my favoruite shots of the 1st zed loved how clean it was! The Japspeed K1 exhaust could be heard from anywhere with the decats!

I regret not driving this car as much I did, I bought it when I was 20 and it mostly sat outside the house was cleaned and serviced never driven :(

Then a good deal came up on another zed and I ended up with...

1406.PNG

Nismo V2 Front Bumper with Carbon Splitter

, 07 Bulge Bonnet 

,19" LMGT4's in Anthracite Grey

,Vortech v2 Supercharger Full Kit(Not Tuner)Polished

, Split Second Piggyback ECU

,Polished Intercooler Pipes

, Kinetix V2 Plenum , GT Spec Strut Brace

, Uprated Exedy Clutch

, Lightened Flywheel

, Arc Oil Pan (Rare- Possibly 1 in the UK?)

, Z Speed Undertray

, Custom Exhaust

, Brembo GT Big Brake Kit Ferrodo PadsDefi Gauge Control Box

, Defi Fuel Pressure Gauge

, Defi Boost Gauge

, AEM AFR Gauge

, Alpine Sat Nav in Cubby

Was a monster but again never had it that long as it wasn't driven!

Ryan-0209.JPG

Then the 330D which I really enjoyed, ate up the miles and was a pleasure to own. May be able to see Rob275s car behind, detailed by him! Once the BMW went I then had to save for a property so I have a Juke on lease but then the time came again to get another car...

After testing many cars in my hunt for a new project, I narrowed it down to the E92 M3, GT86, 370z, M135 and the S3. Out of all of them I found the GT86 to be the most involving and loved the driving position and how fun the car was to throw about, the only downside being underpowered. Fortunately, what I felt was the perfect base car became available thanks to Jonathan Wheat.

Exterior:

Standard apart from the official TRD canards.

Engine:

HKS Supercharger V2 - fitted and mapped by Abbey Motorsport

HKS manifold

Tomei Overpipe

HKS resonated Front Pipe

M7 titanium exhaust (only one in the UK I think, hand made in Japan)

HKS Oil cooler again fitted by abbey - this has a vent in the wheel well, I high end part

ARC air box

HKS oil

Car makes roughly 320bhp/288 at hubs

The supercharger/oilcooler/most exhaust parts have only been on the car for around 2k miles

Car Mileage is just under 7000miles since new

The car is going to be used as a weekend toy and for track use with the intention of entering the Toyota Sprint Series.

To Buy List so far , undecided on specifics at the moment and input welcome:

Coilovers

Stroker Kit

Front splitter, side steps and rear spats

Arbs

Duck tail rear spoiler

Control arms

IMG_7889.JPG

Pickup day!

IMG_7944.JPG

Took a trip home to realise the standard wheels could not put the power down and new wheels and tyres were ordered.

IMG_7949.JPG

Back of the daily Juke - a lot more fun than you could ever expect!

IMG_7977.JPGIMG_7976.JPGIMG_7960.JPG

Sitting like a monster truck at the moment, but I can finally get the power down, loving it!

IMG_7886.JPG

Edited by Leosille
Grammar

Glad you're enjoying it, some coilovers will set it right of course. TEIN's are popular due to their low price point and the fact that Yukiko is always a stones throw away for any advice on everything TEIN... The support she's given to the 86/BRZ community is great really.

Looking good Ryan, glad to see Jonathan's beast go to a good home. I definitely agree with Rob on the TEIN coilovers, the current favourite is the Flex A's.

Aha, I wondered who bought Jonathan's car. Welcome aboard. :)

That car had my old winter tyres on and spare set of OEM wheels. I'll bet that was interesting trying to get the power down, or go round a corner! Jonathan had Teins on it before he removed all the bits. 

7 hours ago, Lauren said:

Aha, I wondered who bought Jonathan's car. Welcome aboard. :)

That car had my old winter tyres on and spare set of OEM wheels. I'll bet that was interesting trying to get the power down, or go round a corner! Jonathan had Teins on it before he removed all the bits. 

Bambi on ice comes to mind! I will be getting coilovers soon, saw you have your own setup/ spring rate combo, addtionally have been looking at brakes but unsure again which ones are best suited.

11 hours ago, Leosille said:

Bambi on ice comes to mind! I will be getting coilovers soon, saw you have your own setup/ spring rate combo, addtionally have been looking at brakes but unsure again which ones are best suited.

Brakes depend on your budget. If you have the budget for a BBK, you can't go wrong with K Sport for the money from what I've heard, but I wouldn't say a BBK is necessary, even at nearly 300hp.

A popular upgrade path seems to be stoptech (or similar) discs, fast road pads, braided lines and a fluid upgrade. Makes a big difference and is certainly on my list after cooking my brakes this weekend.

So next on my list was to get some coilovers, after being told the Teins weren't available for when I needed, I researched the American forums and found ST Suspension. ST XTA coilover is what I went for, manufactured directly at KW, they have adjustable damping with top mounts, also a nice drop in height was a must!

IMG_8428.JPG

The coilovers and alignment were carried out at Fensport, a great service and highly recommended. I asked for a fast road/ track setup and the car feels unbelievable, after letting a number of people with performance cars drive my car, they have commented on how great my 86 is and how much enjoyement you can have in it.

IMG_8466.JPG

The 86 at the ring... it was quite daunting going on to the track, once the barriers had gone up there was no going back! The respect you have to have for the track is unreal, it was highly challenging but after a few laps then having Bennett coach me it became very rewarding. The car performed faultlessly, I completed 9 laps in total over the long weekend, but by the end to say I was hooked is an understatement! I really hope to complete some driver training and UK trackdays before getting back out there next year, 3/4 trips next year is the aim.
Next on the list for me is upgraded brake pads and lines, the oem discs and pads worked well but if I want to push on some better pads should help me out. I also need to have the car raised slightly as my front arch liners took a beating, I believe it was the bottom of Foxhole and the Carousel which took these out! Seeing so many stripped out cars with cages and upgraded seats really got me thinking how far to go with the car, next year the stripping process may begin.

IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8529.JPG

IMG_8554.JPG

IMG_8552.JPG

39 minutes ago, don said:

The Nurburgring is a very addictive place. I keep wanting to go back all the time :lol:

It does look much better sat on the coilovers!

I can see a ring trip coming along  👀

I already know a number of people that are interested, was also thinking about a trip to Spa possibly.

5 hours ago, billdingo said:

How you finding these coilovers?

I see it's your weekend toy, but is it compliant enough to daily?

I'm over the moon with them, the damping is set to hard as I went to the ring. On public roads with the current damping you can feel how crap uk roads are, not the most forgiving but with the dampers set to soft this may not be the case. Performance wise the car is very balanced, no body roll, what seems like endless grip as if the car was on rails. I need to increase height but you can really slam the car with these coilovers, not my cup of tea as I want function and performance. As it stands I certainly say these are a good alternative to the Teins. I've driven @rob275 and his setup is brilliant tbf. The car will become a daily from December for a while but I don't drive often during the week. 

12 minutes ago, Leosille said:

I'm over the moon with them, the damping is set to hard as I went to the ring. On public roads with the current damping you can feel how crap uk roads are, not the most forgiving but with the dampers set to soft this may not be the case. Performance wise the car is very balanced, no body roll, what seems like endless grip as if the car was on rails. I need to increase height but you can really slam the car with these coilovers, not my cup of tea as I want function and performance. As it stands I certainly say these are a good alternative to the Teins. I've driven @rob275 and his setup is brilliant tbf. The car will become a daily from December for a while but I don't drive often during the week. 

Cheers for that, looking to buy in the next couple of weeks, if you set them on soft then an update on what they're like on the road would be great. Is pretty much a toss up between these, the Tein's (and possibly the B14s). I am leaning towards the ST or maybe the V1 (not too fussed on adjustability, and I think they'll survive the salted roads better) as I know they have a very good rep from the zed community.