Barry Pelmore

Grey Import BRZ

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a Japanese grey import BRZ, which has some exciting differences and some plain tedious ones!

The most tedious is that there is an internal beeper that comes on when reversing. It's not even useful like a truck one - it doesn't warn anyone outside the vehicle and frankly, I've been driving long enough to know when I've selected reverse!

Does anyone know how to disable this noise?

Everything on the rev counter display is in kms. Can this be changed using  the dealer's laptop or does it mean a new head unit?

I'd be grateful for any help on these two points.

Many thanks, Barry.

Hi Barry, wow that is unusual,  not seen any JDM imports of the GT or BRZ over here yet. In respect of the Km/h thing, I'm not sure there is an easy way, you may need to find a UK dash, which will be likely where the difference is. Then plugging in a UK dash I think would just likely work straight out of the box. You may want to consider the GT86 dash over the UK BRZ as it's much nicer. You could just carry on using Km/h, I must admit, I use that in all my cars having had a number of imports, you just get used to it after a while. 

I suspect the reverse beeper is simply down to disconnecting a wire, though I'm not sure whether it would be on the gearbox, or related to the dash which thinking about it is more likely. 

I hired a GT limited GT86 when I was in Japan and it was seriously poverty spec, though I could have had a higher spec more like the UK cars and an English satnav if I wanted an auto (which I obviously didn't). So what are the difference on your BRZ apart from the obvious Km/h settings? 

Hi Lauren,

Many thanks for your interesting and prompt reply. As you'll probably know from your experience in Japan, the lights and indicators are on the right with wipers/washers on the left stalk. That was exciting until I got used to it again - they were like that on my 1963 Cortina Mk 1 GT all those years ago!

Other differences: as you say the spec is more basic, but some of it I like, such as having a key to start it, rather than a push button thingy (dates me, though!!). There is no spoiler at the back and whilst it's a very personal choice, I actually prefer the cleaner lines. I got a space saver spare wheel with it, although I had to negotiate for it - it wasn't standard. I've bought locking wheel nuts and a boot lid sound deadener, neither of which was supplied.

The car is such fun, it's all been worth it and as you say, 'll get used to the kms and on continental trips it's actually an advantage.

Regards, Barry.

1 hour ago, knightryder said:

Does it not have the MPH/kmph button for the digital dash like ours does (if yours has the digital readout)? Thought that was universal...

JDM cars don't have that, no need.