HariboPenguin

Milltek Resonated or Non-Resonated?

So after finding out it's only an extra £25 to get an exhaust added onto my insurance :) (was expecting £100's)  I've been looking around for one and have pretty much decided on a Milltek system however I'm not sure about whether to get a res or non-res version.

From videos I've seen online I prefer the sound of the non-res and leaning towards that but I'm worried about it being too loud and annoying neighbors etc and you can't fully tell how loud they are from videos.

Can anybody who has one shed some light?

Thanks

I currently have a resonated Miltek on the car just 2 weeks old and I am taking it off as it is too quiet for me, going back to my louder system. If your clise enough you are welcome to listen.

I like the look of the Milltek, fits into the rear valence nicely. The weld breaks should be sorted with the addition of an extra flex joint in the midpipe also.

my weld fractured, however since I got the car from the dealer with it installed I managed to get them to repair it as a "warranty" item through the sales team budget free of charge! was fantastic :D

Edited by Camilz
spelling mistakes....... xD

I have the resonated version and feel this is loud enough for me especially now with the supercharger. If you are thinking of adding to your mods later worth taking into account. The Miltek is guaranteed for life as well so if it should break should be covered although since they put in the flexible joint don't think any have broken.

I would do choice depending on if you intend to run with catless or catted header, as former will increase loudness noticeably and had warranted some to switch to quieter catbacks after install. As for Miltek .. somewhat too often i heard about quality issues for their exhaust on this platform. I'm not sure, if flexjoint really-really fixed all issues. Warranty is good thing, but i'd prefer to have it as vendor's confidence in it's product quality to not have problems during that time instead of just mechanism to fix problems as they arise. Having to dismount/ship for fix or replacement far away/wait for replacement/pay for reinstall/not having driveable car meanwhile .. no, warranty alone doesn't rise my confidence enough as bad user experiences sink it.

Thanks for the replies,

I couldn't find any complaints of cracking in the newer flexi joint version but going to be getting a new one with warranty just to be on the safe side. I've looked at others but none have really appealed to me as much as the Milltek one.

My plan is to keep it NA (for quite a while at least) and whilst I would like to replace the manifold / header at some point to help remove the torque dip, I hear that de-catted ones can cause emissions issues when it comes to MOT time which I don't really fancy as the car is a daily driver I want something that I don't have to worry about.

The ones that seem to have issues come MOT time are those that fit, cheap aftermarket high flow cats. Either spend decent money on a high flow cat, or keep one of the stock ones in and you'll have no problem. 

Well my impatience has gotten the better of me and I've ordered a secondary non-res from Tarmac Sportz after finding they offer them much cheaper than the other places I was looking.

Hopefully it should be alright as I'm not planning on having any other mods just yet that would make it any louder.

I'd say lose the second cat whilst you're at it. It's not that loud really. That's what I did (though I have an overpipe too) losing the cat made a bigger difference I think, though such things are marginal of course. But there's no drone on the motorway it's not silly loud at all. 

Will definitely consider it, plan is to get the secondary catback and then work out what I'm going to do with the rest of it after I've renewed my insurance and heard how loud it is as a base, whether it be a new manifold / header or keeping the stock one and removing the second cat as you can buy the cat delete frontpipe separately.

Mainly depends on sound and how much a remap would add onto my insurance if I wanted a new manifold / header.

Depends who you're with. My remap added nothing, so I added it to the insurance a year before I got round to doing it. But if you're going to change the manifold then probably best to hold off on the remap until you've done all the bits you want to do. 

I'm with Admiral at the moment and from what I've heard they can be a bit hit and miss when it comes to mods especially for young drivers, I was quite surprised that adding an exhaust was only £25 though so might give them a call tomorrow and see.

Planning on hopefully moving to one of the club insurers when it comes to my renewal though as I'm expecting Admiral to give me another ridiculous quote when the time comes.

My current one is expensive enough but I'm hoping that my premium should drop now I've reached 21.

2 hours ago, CanaryWundaboy said:

I would switch to a decat 2nd pipe now and just keep the standard pipe for when you change your manifold.

That's basically what I did. I found the car was too obnoxious with no cats whatsoever, and obviously is a ball ache come MOT time. Best to try and decide what you want before committing to anything, otherwise you'll end up spending more money down the line changing things.

So my exhaust was finally delivered last week, got it fitted on Friday and I am loving it so far. Big improvement over the weezy stock one, makes it sound like a proper sports car now.

IMG_20160708_084134.jpg

It is a bit loud on cold start, especially when its in a garage / carport. Otherwise not too bad, opens up when you put your foot down but no annoying drone when sat in traffic or cruising on motorway.

Debating getting the 2nd cat delete to get a bit more rasp at high rpm's but fear it might make cold starts too loud. How much louder does removing the 2nd cat make it?

I've just swapped my non-res to resonated as it was too loud, especially at around 60 mph in 6th. That said I have a decat manifold which ups the noise a fair bit.

So my exhaust was finally delivered last week, got it fitted on Friday and I am loving it so far. Big improvement over the weezy stock one, makes it sound like a proper sports car now.

IMG_20160708_084134.jpg

It is a bit loud on cold start, especially when its in a garage / carport. Otherwise not too bad, opens up when you put your foot down but no annoying drone when sat in traffic or cruising on motorway.

Debating getting the 2nd cat delete to get a bit more rasp at high rpm's but fear it might make cold starts too loud. How much louder does removing the 2nd cat make it?

Removing the second cat on an otherwise standard system makes cold starts noisy so imagine it would be fairly loud

www.tuned.org.uk

2 hours ago, HariboPenguin said:

It does make it pretty loud on start up. Particularly in the winter. But other than that whilst it's a bit louder, it doesn't drone at all. I've had mine like this for the past 77K miles. Quite happy with it. JFDI etc. :)