Ayess81

Hi from Lincs

Hi all,

My name is Dan and I'm shortly to become the proud owner of a new Silver GT86.

I'm jumping the gun massively as the car doesn't arrive until July but I've been browsing the forum for a while and thought I'd introduce myself as long as nobody minds mixing with an MR2 owner (mk2 obviously) while the GT86 is in build? 

Looking forward to meeting you all and hope the weekend has wonderful things in store! 

Dan

No fear of that Will - its costing enough to keep the other cars on the road until then.

Thanks Rob, I've never actually been a silver car person until I saw the '86 and thought it worked. Even happier that you don't see many silver ones about. Fun fact - I've only ever seen three GT86/BRZs on the road - Lincolnshire must be populated with sensible people.

Nice to meet you 

Welcome aboard. I'm a director of IMOC-UK so I know MR2's well. Preferred the MK1 myself though. ;)

Good luck with the new car, that's some wait though, bet it will feel like a long time. Any plans for mods? 

Hi Lauren,

Glad i'm not going to be castigated as a luddite here then! Love my two but its showing its age now, starting to rot and my garage is so full of bits for it that I couldn't actually get the car in there with them. That and I nearly killed myself on a roundabout the other day in the wet - I've narrowed the cause down to running out of talent before running out of ambition.  

No solid plans to mod the '86 yet but I have a real weakness for that Cosworth Stage 2.0 pack...

I'm not sure Toyota will be pleased about it come warranty time though...

It's not really an issue with regard to the warranty as such. I think Toyota are more flexible when it comes to the warranty than people think. But, I will say YMMV depending upon your dealer. For example I've had RRG Macc fit all of my mods bar the remap. I've had no issues with warranty claims but there have not been that many in the 85K miles I've covered. 

Know what you mean about the MR2. SW20's are very tricky in their chassis balance. I've got an AE86 as well which is a bit easier to balance. But the joy of the GT86 is it's chassis and balance, it's light years ahead really. A decent set of coilovers moves things up a level too. :)

Ah okay, I still have the idea that the second you tinker with a car you invalidate the warranty. I might speak to Listers Lincoln and see what I can get away with. Really quite fancy those Cosworth decals. 

I think though I'll get the measure of the car before I go all fast and furious with it given that a twenty year old car nearly offed me the other night proving the mantra 'you are not as good as you think you are'.

Did I read somewhere that people were going to Blyton next weekend for the TSS? I'm thinking of going to spectate, does anyone know a good place to watch? Preferably where two daughters can find a toilet and I can drink brews all day? 

Congrats and welcome to the club. Warranty is only void on parts that are directly affect by the mods i.e. changing suspension won't void any engine claims etc but may void say control arm issues if it can be proven. But it's usually all down to the dealers you deal with, they don't have to do the work and some don't fully understand the rules so rather than risk doing to work and not being able to claim for the work they'd rather turn you away and lie about voiding your warranty.

As for Blyton, there is a raised mound/hill along the start/finish line that a lot of people stand on to spectate. Feel free to stop by and say hello.

Thanks for the gen Keethos. Handy stuff to know as I might take Lauren's advice about the coilovers if I start track day-ing - I'll see what the dealer says about the warranty beforehand.

Also thanks for the info on Blyton, looking forward to it meeting some of you if I can get up there. 

Well I'm off to watch also so you won't be the only one... Also merrily swapping bits on my 1 year old car (after swearing I wouldn't until the warranty had mainly run out...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll probably be spectating at Blyton next weekend, since I have the hotel booked but no car to race in, so you'll have some company.