Sign in to follow this  
Donfrondo

Bonnet lifting over d/s wheel arch

Has anybody else had this problem and know of a fix? At motorway speeds the bonnet lifts on the driver side, I assume air is getting under the seal at the front and lifting it but the seal looks good and the bonnet sits down solid at the front when the cars static

The bonnets are aluminium rather than steel to save weight and help lower the CoG, aluminium is 1/3 the stiffness of steel for the same thickness so the air pressure at high speed causes the bonnet panel to flex down in the middle, which results in some lift at the edges the other side of the supports. As Lauren says its common to all our cars and not anything to worry about.

Apologies for the old thread revival but I spotted this wobbling on the motorway just the other day and wanted to sort it. I thought I'd post up a solution of sorts in case anyone else stumbles across it with the same issue.

Under the bonnet there are two rubber stops which the bonet should sit up against when closed. These little guys.

4oiJGLD.png

If you give one a twist you'll notice they can be removed with ease and that they have a "spiral" cut into them.

3BHBMEO.jpg

When I checked the bonnet you could see a noticeable difference in contact spots from the two sides.

uoGoFm7.png

You can twist the stopper back on and keep twisting it up and down until you hit the desired height and hopefully end this wobbly bonnet blight :)