Foulsmell

Wrapped dash panels.

Was looking at various options to replace the head unit surround and the dash panel but most are quite expensive.

So the power of YouTube and eBay combined to make me have a shot at wrapping them in faux carbon.

I've never done it before but it was quite easy. 6083470b2a1ae1564f505a4dd844b12f.jpga4fa7a2e523d0d4f4c62eaf05210f0eb.jpg

Only took an hour and cost £15 including these TRD stickers. Not sure which one to put in the corner. bc83e0529a654b2d590d728a47055b96.jpg

Was thinking White TRD OR red and white with with racing development on it. Hmmm.

@Nicebiscuit - earlier cars didn't have a carbon fibre look, it was actually the funny T pattern which would make people think it was carbon like (same funny T pattern as the pattern by the speedo)

Ah right - didn't know that...

Coincidentally was idly wondering how to cover up the carbon on mine :-D. Might give body colour a go for a change at some point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah right - didn't know that...

Coincidentally was idly wondering how to cover up the carbon on mine :-D. Might give body colour a go for a change at some point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get loads of different colours of vinyl wrap. I did consider white but plumped for the carbon in the end while it was my first attempt.

3 hours ago, Keethos said:

Looks good, how did you find the corners? Mines started to lift in the corners already.....

You're supposed to wrap behind it a little which will stop it lifting.

2 hours ago, Foulsmell said:

You can get loads of different colours of vinyl wrap. I did consider white but plumped for the carbon in the end while it was my first attempt.

I did mine in brushed metal, makes it look a bit more high end IMO.

3 hours ago, Keethos said: Looks good, how did you find the corners? Mines started to lift in the corners already.....

2 hours ago, Foulsmell said: You can get loads of different colours of vinyl wrap. I did consider white but plumped for the carbon in the end while it was my first attempt.

I did mine in brushed metal, makes it look a bit more high end IMO.

I saw the brushed metal. Really nice.

I'm going for the faux TRD version of the one they sell. The beauty is it only took me an hour to do so its easy to change when you get bored of it.

I did, but it still lifted up in the corners, I'll give them another try, my first attempted did better but don't know if it was because of a better wrap or something.

I did, but it still lifted up in the corners, I'll give them another try, my first attempted did better but don't know if it was because of a better wrap or something.

Just heat it with the hair dryer, stretch it and hold it in place while it cools. Should be fine then. I've got at least 1cm behind the panel and more where I could.

Yeah, I've been using a heat gun, it would stay down for a couple of days but then it would eventually start lifting up in the internal corners, even with a similar length wrapped around the back too.

1 hour ago, Keethos said:

Yeah, I've been using a heat gun, it would stay down for a couple of days but then it would eventually start lifting up in the internal corners, even with a similar length wrapped around the back too.

Have you thought about Hydro Dipping? I've just had all my interior panels done, I paid £90 for a company to do it, but you can get the DIY kits online. 

I've been having a go at carbon skinning.

I bought replacement black panels for the inside and have started skinning the old ones, too cold in my garage at the moment for the resin to set properly. But seems to be going ok. Have started a front lip and ducktail spoiler too, though I need to get some more cloth for the ducktail as I've had to cut it to shape it and the join could've been better placed as its a bit rough! 

Obviously a bit more expensive and time consuming, but looks quite good :)

1 hour ago, Keethos said: Yeah, I've been using a heat gun, it would stay down for a couple of days but then it would eventually start lifting up in the internal corners, even with a similar length wrapped around the back too.

Have you thought about Hydro Dipping? I've just had all my interior panels done, I paid £90 for a company to do it, but you can get the DIY kits online. 

I have, but not really looked into it yet. That's pretty cheap, I'm sure I heard someone getting quoted around £300odd for all the interior bits.