Sign in to follow this  
Knighty

Info Wanted - Nurburgring 2017

Hi everyone, 

Something I've wanted to do for a seriously long time, ever since I got my first car. Was go on a road trip over to the Nurburgring and take a couple of laps around one of the worlds most iconic circuits! 

I've decided that next year will be that year, so I'm looking for some information from anyone that's been on what to expect, where to stay what to do and generally just any information people can offer that will make it the most enjoyable trip possible. 

Also I thought I'd see if I could gain some interest for anyone else on the club that would like to come along. None of my friends are generally that bothered about cars and driving holidays, so to get a group together that really would like to do it would be awesome! 

Thanks guys, 

Sam

I too have been meaning to go and would love to come along if we can get enough of us to go (also probably depends on dates). Just not sure if I want to do it in my car or hire one there.

Hotel am Tiergarten was fine (Sabine Schmitz family hotel), and very close to the ring. Weekend got a lot busier than late Friday afternoon. Was also cool to see the track being used for commercial testing before opening to the public on the Friday.

Rented GT86s (3 of them) at Cologne airport & drove to the 'ring - that was awesome fun, and the reason I'm getting an 86 now :)

We rented a Golf GTI from RentRaceCar (on-site) - the car was nowhere near the limiting factor for me. We left the TC on, and at one point it definitely saved us when my friend was going "very enthusiastically". DSG shifting was also welcome - there was so much else to concentrate on for me. The rental included insurance, though the excess was massive (4000 euro, IIRC?). No matter how good a driver you are, I'd say crashing is a possibility. Coming round a blind bend to find a wheel which has just been ripped of the car in front was a surprise, for example, and I wouldn't want to split costs 50/50 with a Ferrari driver. If I was to go again, I'd investigate the costs of insurance with a lower excess - perhaps 1000 euro.

It's worth taking the time to familiarise yourself on a simulator beforehand - it's nothing like driving it for real, but it's very nice to know what's coming up next and not feel completely lost. I'd recommend Assetto Corsa, but so long as it's not completely wrong anything would be a help. I used Forza on the Xbox (I think), and bought Assetto Corsa setup when I got back so I could keep daydreaming ;)

It's one of the most fun things I have ever done, and I would love to do it again. I'd even like to have a go in my old yank classic, but preferably on a day when all the other cars are overpowered & don't handle and their owners are terrified of damaging them!

I've been a couple of times, though not for ten years now! I expect it's got more expensive. One thing I would say, is don't think about it until you've done a number of trackdays in the UK first. The Ring isn't the place to learn the basics of track driving. There is too much going on for that.

Learn the whole circuit on a game first and do hundreds if not thousands of laps. It massively helps. 

The Ring is a very exciting place, but you have to have your wits about you, particularly so when you have to put up with bikes going past as well. They are very fast in a straightline but pretty useless round corners. Also be patient, so much to lose, so little to gain and all that. 

Don't time yourself from bridge to gantry, it could be a recipe for disaster (see my comments about patience). Watch yourself on the faster sections, there's hardly any run off and remember if you do clout a barrier, unlike anywhere else, you will be paying for that barrier and any lost time for the public. It can costs you thousands of Euros very easily. Not to mention the damage to your car. 

You will happen on the odd coach going round and then you have the bikes and then lots of very quick Porsches of the GT3 variety that will monster you everywhere. So you have to be switched on I would say. 

It's a mega experience and really is amazing, but it's incredibly dangerous. I'd love to go back, but I keep finding excuses not to go, as there possibility of an off at the Ring could make me seriously poor. It is not for the inexperienced. 

But please don't let me put you off! ;) 

Thanks for the comprehensive replies guys. 

I actually have no track experience what so ever, so yes in thinking about it chucking myself in at the deep end probably isn't the best option. I'll look to get a few track days in this year to familiarize myself. from videos you see on youtube and the like it doesn't seem all that scary, I guess when you're actually there it all gets a little real! 

I have to admit I'm a little nervous about track days in general. Not so much my driving just everyone elses. I know how much talent I have behind the wheel (not much) but other people on circuit would unnerve me. Perhaps I should start with a club trackday, that way I know who's around me and what to expect.

you all certainly haven't put me off, but made me realise I do need to do some homework and preparation before I head over to the 'ring.  

Thanks guys! 

Seriously do a club track day. If it's any help I used to work for Bookatrack and have run the pitlane on hundreds of track days over the years. Car to car contact is so rare on a well run day that's it's not worth worrying about. Obviously if you went out on track at say Japfest or Trax or pretty much any event at Combe where the public attend the standard of driving is so poor it's simply not worth the risk. People with no experience are the biggest risk after all. 

When you go on track for the first time, you don't get the feeling of speed you might expect as tracks tend to be pretty open. That's the first mistake people make. So if you're nervous about track days, the Ring is not the place to go. They take no prisoners there. And some experienced German local is not going to mess about with you, they can be pretty serious. 

The Blyton Park day in July would be ideal for you and it's not even that far away! It's a safe track with plenty of room and I'm sure a load of us will be happy to show you the ropes. Also book some instruction. I'd fully recommend that after you've done at least a few days elsewhere, go and do one at Cadwell Park as it is the most similar to the Ring. It's my favourite track as well. :) 

I didn't go to round the Ring till I'd been driving on track for six years, done a bit of racing and I had already driven pretty much everywhere in the UK and Spa five times by that point! That was 2006! Preparation is everything, really. You'll get so much more out of what is the greatest track in the known universe if you've worked on your technique and all that and gained expericence before you go. 

Been going to the ring for years now every year. Love the place.

We take the euro tunnel, its just faster than the ferry although not as cheap.

The drive over is easy, get on a motorway follow it for many hundreds of miles.

Places to stay,
Hotels: I have always used the Burgstube. It's run by an English guy called Martin. Great local knowledge and he will look after you well. About 90 euro a night.

A villa can be a cheaper option if you plan to go as a larger group for longer.

You can drive your own car round in tourist session (TF) (about 27 euro a lap) and I always do however please bare the following information in mind:

You are not insured in any form! You road policy will specifically exclude the nordschleife. As a result if you crash into another car you are personally liable. If you drop fluid and people crash, again you are liable.
If you hit the barrier you will be charged for it replacement. If you break down and need to be towed off you will be charged.

I am not trying to put you off but make you aware.

If you want to hire rent4ring is probably the best and most cost effective package around.

If you have any further questions drop me a message!

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Seriously do a club track day. If it's any help I used to work for Bookatrack and have run the pitlane on hundreds of track days over the years. Car to car contact is so rare on a well run day that's it's not worth worrying about. Obviously if you went out on track at say Japfest or Trax or pretty much any event at Combe where the public attend the standard of driving is so poor it's simply not worth the risk. People with no experience are the biggest risk after all. 

When you go on track for the first time, you don't get the feeling of speed you might expect as tracks tend to be pretty open. That's the first mistake people make. So if you're nervous about track days, the Ring is not the place to go. They take no prisoners there. And some experienced German local is not going to mess about with you, they can be pretty serious. 

The Blyton Park day in July would be ideal for you and it's not even that far away! It's a safe track with plenty of room and I'm sure a load of us will be happy to show you the ropes. Also book some instruction. I'd fully recommend that after you've done at least a few days elsewhere, go and do one at Cadwell Park as it is the most similar to the Ring. It's my favourite track as well. :) 

I didn't go to round the Ring till I'd been driving on track for six years, done a bit of racing and I had already driven pretty much everywhere in the UK and Spa five times by that point! That was 2006! Preparation is everything, really. You'll get so much more out of what is the greatest track in the known universe if you've worked on your technique and all that and gained expericence before you go. 

Thanks so much Lauren, really appreciate you taking the time out to write that, I've just taken a look at the Blyton track day and decided I'll go for that one. I've been to Blyton before with Celica Club, only spectating but I managed to get a few laps as a passenger with some of the experienced guys so I got to learn the track a little. I think that'll be perfect for me! 

My biggest concern is indeed other people, so definitely a public track day at one of the shows is just a no go. I suppose the other aspect of it is I don't want to get in the way of other people having a good time. If I'm slower than everyone else, I don't want to get in the way. 

But everyone's got to learn sometime right? 

My bosses go on track days all the time (work for a company making race data logging and digital dash's) and as far as I know, none of them have had an accident. I think one of them has been to Cadwell, it looks like great fun! I'd quite fancy giving Donington a try as well, although I wonder if it might be a little too technical for a novice with it having various elevations and stuff. 

17 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Been going to the ring for years now every year. Love the place.

We take the euro tunnel, its just faster than the ferry although not as cheap.

The drive over is easy, get on a motorway follow it for many hundreds of miles.

Places to stay,
Hotels: I have always used the Burgstube. It's run by an English guy called Martin. Great local knowledge and he will look after you well. About 90 euro a night.

A villa can be a cheaper option if you plan to go as a larger group for longer.

You can drive your own car round in tourist session (TF) (about 27 euro a lap) and I always do however please bare the following information in mind:

You are not insured in any form! You road policy will specifically exclude the nordschleife. As a result if you crash into another car you are personally liable. If you drop fluid and people crash, again you are liable.
If you hit the barrier you will be charged for it replacement. If you break down and need to be towed off you will be charged.

I am not trying to put you off but make you aware.

If you want to hire rent4ring is probably the best and most cost effective package around.

If you have any further questions drop me a message!

Thanks for that Rich! Some great information in there. I was planning to take the euro tunnel I think, just makes more sense. The insurance thing I was aware about, but not the liabilities with regards to barrier replacement and track closure time. That brings it all into perspective. I should definitely gain some track experience before I head over! 

I think Blyton is a great place to lose your track virginity. Donington is the 2nd best circuit in the UK IMO. It's utterly brilliant and the Craner Curves/Old Hairpin combination is right up there, just behind Eau Rouge, so it's special for that. I reckon you could do it after a day at Blyton. I think really just be a bit cautious on your entry to the Craners, because what happens there has an outcome on the exit of the Old Hairpin!

Blyton though it's flat, which is the only pity, has some really good technical sections. The section from Bunga Bunga through Port Froid really teaches you a lot about balance and at high speed, with the only risk for the most part being a 100mph spin accross some concrete. So it's great in that aspect. Jochen into the Ump and then the exit into the start of Lancaster will teach you a lot about weight transition and braking and throttle as well. I've driven a lot of tracks and Blyton is fast moving up the rankings for me. :)

We'll be using the outer track. I really must make this one! 

http://www.blytonpark.co.uk/blyton-park/the-circuit-map/

I've just booked the Blyton Park day. 

You're welcome to come out as a passenger in my car, happy to do the same in your's. Also everyone else there will be more than happy to the same, as we are a friendly bunch. Just need to get the Premier Inn in Scunthorpe sorted for Friday night. :) 

I've not really read through other replies, so apologies if I repeat what's already been said.

We stayed in Hotel an der Nordschleife. Prices are really reasonable for the area (around 100 Euros for a triple room, obviously cheaper for single/double). Breakfast was decent too. It's around 5 minutes drive from the entrance, and the museums etc. so it's a decent place to stay for that sorta thing.

I would however agree with what I've read as I briefly scanned, do a track day first. Unlike track days, where you get a briefing beforehand and therefore are forced to know the rules, the Ring is a toll road. You are fully expected to be up to date with the rules yourself, and it can be quite daunting to be driving enthusiastically, come across something strange and not know what to do. A track day can help answer some of the questions you may end up having on the day. That being said, if you get the chance, it's probably worth going out with someone more experienced for a few passenger laps first. Especially if you've been practising on your Xbox. 

I estimate I had done over 2000 laps of the Ring across various games before I went, but no matter which version you've played, nothing prepares you for the feeling of actually driving on it. For that reason, a passenger lap is brilliant. It helps you to identify where the track differs from what you already know (which is a lot).

Most importantly, don't try and be a hero. I was there for a few days, and only timed laps on the final day. The experience of just driving around the track was enough by itself, and you wouldn't want to ruin it by trying to race the clock.

Despite all that, it's a great experience, even for beginners. Just take it easy and be mindful of the, at times, crazy locals and I'm sure you'll find yourself in the 99% who enjoy the experience without mishaps.

21 hours ago, Lauren said:

I think Blyton is a great place to lose your track virginity. Donington is the 2nd best circuit in the UK IMO. It's utterly brilliant and the Craner Curves/Old Hairpin combination is right up there, just behind Eau Rouge, so it's special for that. I reckon you could do it after a day at Blyton. I think really just be a bit cautious on your entry to the Craners, because what happens there has an outcome on the exit of the Old Hairpin!

Blyton though it's flat, which is the only pity, has some really good technical sections. The section from Bunga Bunga through Port Froid really teaches you a lot about balance and at high speed, with the only risk for the most part being a 100mph spin accross some concrete. So it's great in that aspect. Jochen into the Ump and then the exit into the start of Lancaster will teach you a lot about weight transition and braking and throttle as well. I've driven a lot of tracks and Blyton is fast moving up the rankings for me. :)

We'll be using the outer track. I really must make this one! 

http://www.blytonpark.co.uk/blyton-park/the-circuit-map/

21 hours ago, Lauren said:

I've just booked the Blyton Park day. 

You're welcome to come out as a passenger in my car, happy to do the same in your's. Also everyone else there will be more than happy to the same, as we are a friendly bunch. Just need to get the Premier Inn in Scunthorpe sorted for Friday night. :) 

Thanks again Lauren, I've checked my dates and I can definitely make that day, so I'm going to get it booked on payday, I paid for my membership on this forum last night (unsure if it went through okay), it glitched out a little bit but my paypal says the funds went through. 

21 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

I've not really read through other replies, so apologies if I repeat what's already been said.

We stayed in Hotel an der Nordschleife. Prices are really reasonable for the area (around 100 Euros for a triple room, obviously cheaper for single/double). Breakfast was decent too. It's around 5 minutes drive from the entrance, and the museums etc. so it's a decent place to stay for that sorta thing.

I would however agree with what I've read as I briefly scanned, do a track day first. Unlike track days, where you get a briefing beforehand and therefore are forced to know the rules, the Ring is a toll road. You are fully expected to be up to date with the rules yourself, and it can be quite daunting to be driving enthusiastically, come across something strange and not know what to do. A track day can help answer some of the questions you may end up having on the day. That being said, if you get the chance, it's probably worth going out with someone more experienced for a few passenger laps first. Especially if you've been practising on your Xbox. 

I estimate I had done over 2000 laps of the Ring across various games before I went, but no matter which version you've played, nothing prepares you for the feeling of actually driving on it. For that reason, a passenger lap is brilliant. It helps you to identify where the track differs from what you already know (which is a lot).

Most importantly, don't try and be a hero. I was there for a few days, and only timed laps on the final day. The experience of just driving around the track was enough by itself, and you wouldn't want to ruin it by trying to race the clock.

Despite all that, it's a great experience, even for beginners. Just take it easy and be mindful of the, at times, crazy locals and I'm sure you'll find yourself in the 99% who enjoy the experience without mishaps.

No apologies needed, any information is welcomed whether a repeat or not, we all have different versions to tell! It's good to see where people have stayed so I can get a feel for the best hotels to use etc.

the general consensus still remains that track days should be done first, so I'll start with Blyton and then work my way up a little, just hope the little 86 can take all the abuse a track day can bring, I guess it's what the car was built for in a way so you'd hope so! 

I appreciate the input. It's interesting that there's no sort of safety briefing there at all, but I guess how can you when there are so many people. Makes it hit home even more that I need experience! 

On 3/21/2016 at 11:06 AM, don said:

It's absolutely brilliant. I went last year for the first time and hope to make a repeat this year.

We stayed at the Ring Garage Hotel, fantastic place to stay. You can also rent out track ready cars if you wish.

It can get quite expensive whilst there. For example one lap is 27 Euros! Not to mention fuel and any damage. 

It's worth watching this video to get an idea of the track and the surroundings.

Been away for a week or so, so apologies for my late reply to this! 

Thanks Don, that was a really good video, makes the 'ring feel a lot less intimidating. it's also good to see the surrounding areas, to get a feel for it all. 

Appreciate the input! 

Lots of good advice in the above posts, and if you are planning to drop the hammer whilst there, then;

• do track days before your first Ring trip
  • do some prep; learn the sections of the track and layout using videos or games to gain some familiarity 
  • understand the financial risks re being uninsured if you drive TF in your uk road insured car; paralyse a biker or knock a GT3, could cost you VERY big

I've done TF and track days there and I'd say TF' especially if busy (hols, weekends, adjacent Motorsport events) is the more dangerous way to drive it.

Or coast aroung round with the coaches👍

On 3/31/2016 at 8:34 PM, LFA said:

Lots of good advice in the above posts, and if you are planning to drop the hammer whilst there, then;

• do track days before your first Ring trip
  • do some prep; learn the sections of the track and layout using videos or games to gain some familiarity 
  • understand the financial risks re being uninsured if you drive TF in your uk road insured car; paralyse a biker or knock a GT3, could cost you VERY big

I've done TF and track days there and I'd say TF' especially if busy (hols, weekends, adjacent Motorsport events) is the more dangerous way to drive it.

Or coast aroung round with the coaches👍

Thanks LFA! 

So they actually do trackdays there as well as the standard TF? Didn't know that :)

There are a few operators who run track days; I've used Bookatrack and Destination Nurburgring.

Bit more pricey buy fewer fruit loops and more disciplined.:lol: