trashy

First service - how much?

Subaru BRZ - local Subaru dealer quoting £255 for a first service.  Seems a little steep - it's only oil, oil filter, pollen filter and a few checks :(

Is this the going rate?  Thanks.

For a Subaru garage... yes.

Take it to Toyota and it's a "fixed price*"  £179, or find a good local indy and save even more.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

(*Fixed price doesn't include required servicing parts at 20k/2yr unless you find a good dealer who does include it, so misleading calling it fixed price.)

Thanks - unless the Subaru dealer will reduce their price I'll probably go with Toyota.  The only difference seems to be that Subaru includes the pollen filter - an easy change and dirt cheap with a BluePrint filter. 

Subaru Quote

Parts (pollen filter, gasket, oil filter) £41.47

Oil (Castrol GTX 5w30 - is this really the crap that our cars use?) £48.33

Labour £120.38

VAT £42.04

Total: £252.22

Thanks - unless the Subaru dealer will reduce their price I'll probably go with Toyota.  The only difference seems to be that Subaru includes the pollen filter - an easy change and dirt cheap with a BluePrint filter. 

Subaru Quote

Parts (pollen filter, gasket, oil filter) £41.47

Oil (Castrol GTX 5w30 - is this really the crap that our cars use?) £48.33

Labour £120.38

VAT £42.04

Total: £252.22

No that's the wrong oil, Subaru are trying to have your pants down there, you should put fully synthetic oil in 0W-20 not that cheap castrol shit. It's like they have never serviced one before, a little worrying!

Thanks Mike - shame you're not a bit closer :(

Is the 0W20 for emissions/fuel economy or is it genuinely the best oil for the car when used on the road?

I assume that genuine parts means the warranty is intact.  Do Subaru have electronic service records yet (like Mazda) or still stamps in the book?

Any good independents near Reading?

0W20 is what Toyota recommend and use I see no reason to change from this. You've got a book, so it will get a stamp (I've got 8!) and doubtless there is some electronic record held by the dealer group as well. 

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

0W20 is what Toyota recommend and use I see no reason to change from this. You've got a book, so it will get a stamp (I've got 8!) and doubtless there is some electronic record held by the dealer group as well. 

I have 0! Keep forgetting to put it in the car lol

5 hours ago, chillismoke said:

Castrol's that cheap Aldi our selling it!!

11141cde7778b790c2dd873b43065061.jpg

LOL -  Bulldog Subaru have corrected the oil now but I have no confidence in them at all.  Here's the email from after sales:

Sorry for the delay, had to pop out yesterday. You are correct the factory fill is 0w-20 fully synthetic oil. This is a recommendation as a world wide oil fill. The 5w-30 fully synthetic is also listed by the factory as suitable oil.

We have been favouring the 5w-30 as a better suited all round oil for our climate in the UK.

Both grades are perfectly expectable to use. If you prefer we use 0w-20 fully synthetic then we have no problem with this, I am also happy to use this at no extra cost to you.

I love the bit "I am also happy to use this at no extra cost to you" - so you bloody well should at over £250 for an oil change.

6 hours ago, chillismoke said:

Castrol's that cheap Aldi our selling it!!

11141cde7778b790c2dd873b43065061.jpg

That's 10w40 though, not 5w30...

Cheapest I can see for Castrol GTX 5w30 is £20 for 4 litres, so that's about £40 for an oil change (you need just shy of 7 litres).

From what I understand 5w30 is better if you drive the car hard, especially on track, as it maintains pressure better when the engine is hot. 0w20 presumably gives lower friction and thus lower emission and better fuel economy though.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/09/fuel-economy-race-brings-expensive-oil-to-inexpensive-cars/index.htm

" We generally support any technology that can improve fuel economy. But in this case, we wonder whether some consumers who purchase new cars may feel blindsided by the increased cost of their oil changes. And since 0W-20 mainly only improves fuel economy for the first few seconds of driving, we question whether the fuel economy gains are really worth the added costs for consumers over the life of the car. "