Knighty

Proud new owner - Knighty

Hi Everyone,

Just this minute signed up to this forum, I hope I get to know all of you over the coming years of owning my absolutely stunning Red GT86 that I took delivery of last Monday. 

I traded in my gorgeous Thunder Grey Celica GT pictured below, for a taste of life in an 86. 

20150426_133554_zpsg5vinucd.jpg

20150426_133525_zpsw4ekudsx.jpg

20150307_121756_zpsyyjcl6wi.jpg

I miss that car so much, I've had such an awesome time owning it, and met a load of great people over on Celica Club UK - A forum I still have membership to. But the time was right to move on to pastures new. the decision to buy the 86 has been the best I've ever made, but at the same time the worst, as it meant saying goodbye to an amazing car. 

Time to reveal the reason I'm here in this forum. 

20160118_132859_zpsovh7xtcr.jpg

She's absolutely perfect. 2014 model with barely run in mileage, part leather red interior which just goes so well with the red paint I think. Whilst I was looking around at what was on the market I saw a few with the red interior and from the photo's I really didn't like it at all, especially the red trim on the steering wheel, handbrake, gear knob etc. But as soon as I saw this one I fell in love with it. Took her for a drive and I was sold. 

After a week of ownership I'm getting to grips with things a lot more and starting to feel comfortable with the car, which is only helping to further my love for the car! Clutch work is still a bit hit and miss, but I'm sure I'll get there! 

Thanks for taking the time out to read what is probably the first post of many from me. 

All the best, 

Sam 

This isn't going to help, but that Celica is lovely.

You'll get used to the clutch. In fact I don't think it's the clutch so much as the throttle which is a bit on/off - quite hard to drive smoothly at low speed. But it gets easier with familiarity.

I love mine. Also red.

43 minutes ago, nikndel said:

Welcome to the world of Red 🏎

Many thanks! Definitley a great choice!

22 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

This isn't going to help, but that Celica is lovely. emoji41.png

You'll get used to the clutch. In fact I don't think it's the clutch so much as the throttle which is a bit on/off - quite hard to drive smoothly at low speed. But it gets easier with familiarity.

I love mine. Also red. emoji3.png

Haha, many thanks. A lot of work went into the celica, not sure I'll ever get over it to be honest, I'd definitely have another one! 

Yeah, you know I think you're right. Starting to get with it now, the only time I'm struggling a little now is with the car on fast idle when cold, for some reason I just cannot seem to get the clutch in smoothly, normal idle I don't really have a problem at all!

I feel like red could be a very popular colour! :lol:

I've loved red cars since my first car, a 1.2  vauxhall corsa, although most of those tended to be a more pink colour than red :D. The grey on the celica looked awesome, but I really enjoy detailing cars, and for me, the grey just never "popped" which is why I wanted something bright this time around. Can't wait to get some decent weather and spend a couple of days on her to get it up to my standard. 

22 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Welcome to a great forum, hope you can come to meets and introduce us to your new motor :)

Many thanks! 

For sure I'll take a look and see what's coming up! Will be good to get to know the community. I feel I'm going to be here for a very long time! 

7 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Congrats and welcome to the club. So and plans for the car? Mods? Car Shows? Trackdays?

Thanks! Plans for the car at the moment, nothing at all. I quite fancy an Invidia N1 exhaust I think, had my eye on them since the day I started searching for the car... But there could be better options on the market. Maybe a drop in filter of some sorts for a little more induction note, no idea as to which one though. 

I love carbon fibre, and so been keeping an eye on all the awesome interior bits, I shall start my collection of those at some point! Swap out some of the silver in favour of some weave. 

The stock spoiler has really grown on me but I might be tempted to go for a TRD one, maybe even a carbon TRD style spoiler.

I promised myself I wouldn't change this car much, just aesthetics. 

I definitely want some gas bonnet struts though! everytime I've opened the bonnet somebody has said "Can't believe it doesn't have bonnet struts" :lol:, Again though multiple kits out there, some pricey (Greddy) and some less so, no idea which ones are a good set. 

Car shows are a big part of my year, so expect to see me at them, not sure whether you guys have a club stand or anything? Spent a lot of time with Celica Club, put the celica on the club stand for Japshow Finale. Little did I know it'd be it's last show outing with me. 

Trackday wise, I'm honestly not sure I've got the bottle. I'd love to try it, but the thought of failure scares me. I'm much happier to just stand by and watch. 

Cheers,

Sam

Nice plans, yes, our presences at shows have been growing pretty well, last year we had 30 odd GT86/BRZ at Japfest 1 along with 12 or so AE86's from the Brotherhood club, we also had a pretty big stand at JAE for the last couple of years with the the IMOC MR2 club guys....so keep your eyes peeled for up and coming shows in the events section. Next one will be Japfest at Silverstone I think and already have a fair few people listed.

Welcome aboard Sam. I think you'll just get used to the clutch after a short time. You can always wait for the idle to drop after start up as it only takes ten seconds or so, that might help. 

Japfest at Silverstone is the next big event in April, though you'll want to get booked up soon for that as time is moving on. A load of us got a cheap deal on a hotel for that one, see the events section for details, it'll be a good turn out I would say. We managed something like 68 cars including my friends with the AE86's last year and Toyota GB were in attendance which is always good. 

In regard to the track stuff, why not pop along to one of the events and grab a passenger ride? As long as you've got the bottle to put up with someone else's driving you'll be fine. ;)

20 hours ago, Keethos said:

Nice plans, yes, our presences at shows have been growing pretty well, last year we had 30 odd GT86/BRZ at Japfest 1 along with 12 or so AE86's from the Brotherhood club, we also had a pretty big stand at JAE for the last couple of years with the the IMOC MR2 club guys....so keep your eyes peeled for up and coming shows in the events section. Next one will be Japfest at Silverstone I think and already have a fair few people listed.

Great stuff, I'll take a look! Thanks for the heads up 

20 hours ago, chillismoke said:

Welcome to the club mate, good choice in colour emoji7.png

See you on the track

Thanks mate! 

18 hours ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard Sam. I think you'll just get used to the clutch after a short time. You can always wait for the idle to drop after start up as it only takes ten seconds or so, that might help. 

Japfest at Silverstone is the next big event in April, though you'll want to get booked up soon for that as time is moving on. A load of us got a cheap deal on a hotel for that one, see the events section for details, it'll be a good turn out I would say. We managed something like 68 cars including my friends with the AE86's last year and Toyota GB were in attendance which is always good. 

In regard to the track stuff, why not pop along to one of the events and grab a passenger ride? As long as you've got the bottle to put up with someone else's driving you'll be fine. ;)

Thanks alot! Yeah, me too, it always takes a while getting into a new car but I'm getting there now, it's only 1st to 2nd shift that really gives me an issue tbh, and I believe most of that is down to me not putting enough throttle on. Coming from the celica that was a cable throttle to the 86 is quite a bit different. 

One thing I notice coming from the celica is just how much torque it has down in the lower half of the rev range. The celica had to constantly be milked for every last rev to get any sort of torque, whereas in the 86 it's greatly improved, I feel quite happy staying in the bottom half of the rev range 90% of the time, which makes going further up that much more of an occasion. On paper the 86 is slower, but in the real world even if it is slower, it feels much better to drive. 

3rd to 2nd downshift when the gearbox is cold can be a pig though! :lol: but from what I've read up it's one of the "They all do that sir" things. 

I'll check the dates for Japfest, see if I can make it! that's one show I've never had chance to go to, I've always been on holiday! 

As long as no one minds a bit of extra weight I'm all for getting a passenger ride, learning how these cars should be driven properly! I have a feeling my 86 has never seen the top end of the rev range before I had it, and tbh, I'm a little apprehensive too for the moment :lol:

They all do the issue with changing down from 3rd to 2nd when it's cold. Mine still does it over 80K later. I wouldn't worry about it, it will go away when spring comes and it's only an issue for the first five minutes of driving. 

Japfest is 23rd April, surely no-one goes on holiday then? ;)

The Celica's running in the sprint series have easily been beaten by the GT86's. :)

As long as your car has over 1000miles on it, I would warm it up and give it a damn good thrashing, does no harm at all. Might as well enjoy it eh? 

10 minutes ago, Lauren said:

They all do the issue with changing down from 3rd to 2nd when it's cold. Mine still does it over 80K later. I wouldn't worry about it, it will go away when spring comes and it's only an issue for the first five minutes of driving. 

Japfest is 23rd April, surely no-one goes on holiday then? ;)

The Celica's running in the sprint series have easily been beaten by the GT86's. :)

As long as your car has over 1000miles on it, I would warm it up and give it a damn good thrashing, does no harm at all. Might as well enjoy it eh? 

Awesome, wasn't worried at all. Just trying to remember to work around it, was slowing down this morning while I waited for a car coming the other way so I could get round a car, went to downshift and couldn't get it in :mellow:, but like you say couple minutes later, went in no problem! 

I'm around on the 23rd! lets make this happen! 

That is all that matters! :lol: I actually had the pleasure of being on track at blyton park a couple of years ago when the Fensport 86 was out there, damn that thing is quick, although a friends supercharged Gen 7 was able to keep up pretty well considering, think he was putting out about 343bhp at the time. 

She's late 5000 now so plenty of miles on her to open the taps up, problem being it's the newest car I've ever owned, the small number on the odometer confuses me! Hahaha :lol:

39 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Make the number on the odometer bigger, then you'll be fine. ;)

Look up Jafest in the events section, all the details you need are there. :)

Perfect! thanks a lot! 

20 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

I think they did the second gear thing on purpose... After all everybody knows that you have to shift from first to third in classic Ferraris until the oil warms.

I think that's what they were going for... emoji41.png

:lol: I think I can go with that! Good job I got the red, makes the story even more believable ;)

Many thanks everyone for the really warm welcome, I can see I'll get on just fine here. :D

Welcome to the club mate! Though I've had the my GT86 for 3+ years, one thing or other kept me away from really getting involved on the club scene. Hoping to meet you and the others soon, starting with the Grasshopper meet then Japfest! 

Been meaning to post here but don't get the chance! Welcome to the club, hopefully I'll see you out and about and one of the events/trackdays/tss rounds

Red is ok, at least it's not ginger... 

Haha many thanks! I almost went ginger but think I made the right choice!

See you around!

Welcome to the club mate! Though I've had the my GT86 for 3+ years, one thing or other kept me away from really getting involved on the club scene. Hoping to meet you and the others soon, starting with the Grasshopper meet then Japfest! 

Awesome mate, many thanks! Hopefully see you around!

Hi Sam and welcome to the GT86 and BRZ Driver's Club

Thank you man, love it here already! I'm hoping there's a meet local to me at some point soon, would be good to put some names to faces!

Re sticky second. I had Toyota look at mine recently. They said I was only the second to complain but they'd take a look. Left out overnight do they had it from cold but they still said it's okay. They greased it up anyway and it is better to be fair, though I feel as though I've been fobbed off a bit.

It's not the end of the world though. As said several times above, it's fine once warm.