Squadrone Rosso

Steamy Windows on a GT86

Hi. I have tried a search but couldn't find anything.

Is this a common issue on the 86/BRZ?

Now the temperature has dropped a little, coupled with the damp weather, all the interior glass is steamed up.

Not running condensation & it clears in a few minutes of running the rear screen heater & front max setting.

Car appears otherwise dry. No coolant usage, wet carpets or anything.

Our other car is unaffected (Fiat Panda Cross).

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Cheers,

Simon

Seriously, just run the AC all the time. It makes a negligible difference to fuel consumption and prevents this from happening. I have run mine constantly in all the 80,000 miles I've had the car. 

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Seriously, just run the AC all the time. It makes a negligible difference to fuel consumption and prevents this from happening. I have run mine constantly in all the 80,000 miles I've had the car. 

It's also stops the AC seals drying out so you lose less coolant gas.

The reason is, I'm pretty sure is that the cabin area is so small and there is a lot of glass. Mine mists up all the time. If you get in the car slightly wet or simply if it's raining it will always do it. I often have to have a quick blast in demist mode if I've been in the car damp and everytime first thing in the morning in the winter if I'm leaving early. 

So yes, I'd say it's a common issue. 

Some modes also automatically switch on AC and switch off recirc, if one has left auto on (wasn't it after 'thaw front window' button?). In winter i often 'fix' that manually after cold starts, for car to heat up sooner. See no need to defog with AC or use outside even colder air, when it's still minus temps inside :) and i'm still brushing snow & ice from car exterior.

During normal drive .. yes, just as manual says, if windows are fogged, AC deals with that, and rather quickly (=colder air directed to windows prevents condensation on it even with humid air inside, so in few mins both front and side windows demist). I still don't drive with AC always on, finding that in fully heated up car after longer drive windows mostly don't need that if i have recirc off. It seems somewhat wrong in my mind to have heater & AC at same time, just like putting hot pot into fridge. Fog? - AC on. None? - off.

Church, you can have hot air conditioned air as well as cold air conditioned air. The air conditioning dries out the air, that's why it's so good at demisting. So AC is not just for cooling. The temperature has been mild in the UK throughout December without any frosts and has been well above freezing. 

In the UK we have had the wettest December in many years, so it is more likely that the issue at the moment with the car constantly misting up is due to high humidity and the likelihood of introducing moisture into the car when people get in and out. It's far less of an issue when it hasn't been raining pretty much everyday for the last month which has pretty much been the case in the UK. 

Gringosteve: no, i live & drive in Latvia :). Visiting here because this forum is in english (one of two foreign languages i know little bit alongside russian), because i was interested in one product originated here (Jay's set of backup camera), and because UK is in EU, hence lot of stuff like product availability, main shops, legal issues, shipping policies, pricing, warranty issues are more comon then eg. something over pond @US or down under @AU.

Still, thanks for tips that it's configurable option. Will keep that in mind. Not bothered too much about it yet, once or twice a day pressing two buttons more is no biggie.

3 hours ago, Gringosteve said:

Church, if you are local to Manchester or coming to JapFest I can fix that for you with my OBD tool. You can turn off auto a/c and auto a/c functions so that when you press front demist the a/c doesn't come on

Can you adjust the timer on the courtesy light with that? Mine is set to 15s and that's way too short.