S18 RSG

Made a bold decision today...

...and I think it paid off.

Coming from the VW scene with my previous couple cars, and the T5 camper we also own, I've always loved 3SDM wheels, but never thought a Euro style wheel would work on a jap car like this.

I've seen a few pics of the black versions on a GT86, but I'm not a huge fan of black wheels, so I took quite a risk buying a set in polished silver.

After waiting for a little over a week for the wheels, then a couple hours for the tyres to be sourced and fitted, this was the result:

Wheels.jpg

I'm sure there will be many different opinions on this, but I couldn't be happier (which is, of course, all that matters) but I still figured I'd share with you guys as it's something (maybe?) different.

Specs wise, they're 18x8.5 all round (9.5 wouldn't fit on the front without a severe stretch, and I didn't want staggered fitment). I've gone for 225/40 tyres (Vredesteins, swear by them). I think I will end up dropping the car by another 10-15mm just to get the stance perfect (for me), but it's not a million miles away right now.

Any more pics required, let me know.

Regards (and happy new year by the way)

Ross

Love the silver look Ross, I have gone for silver and the same size 18x8.5.

I won't be fitting them until mid Feb at Fensport with some coilovers to get that gap down but remain functional (something I will look at Adrian to help with).

i have gone slightly wider at 235 as I have made some internal mods for power gains.

Impressed you made the jump to a Jap car I have friends on both sides of the 'fence' 😊

Happy New Year

Cheers for the comments everyone.

On 03/01/2016 at 8:56 AM, Special K said:

Looks good, Ross - I like silver wheels as well.

A set of bold bad upsized disks/calipers have to be a must-have, yes?

Spec K

Discs/calipers are definitely looking a little sorry for themselves behind these wheels. I may look into some OEM+ options (Impreza/Legacy fitment, which I can imagine being tidy upgrades), but this will certainly be on my mind. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

The 225 width tyres have made some interesting changes to the car. Certainly seems a lot more planted, and much more controllable during a slide. Though in fairness, the last owner couldn't seem to make his mind up on tyres, as the car came to me with 4 different tyres, all of which were down to around 4mm of tread. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the cars' unhealthy love of being sideways.

When we get a dry weekend down here in South Wales (never), I'll be looking at fitting my front splitter, then making a decision on height. Now the suspension has settled more, the front is certainly sitting ever-so-slightly higher than the back, which needs to be fixed. The rear wheels are also sitting slightly too far inside the arches for my liking, so maybe a set of 5/6mm spacers may be required.