James Hilton

Car Won't Lock?

Having a problem locking the car. Happened a couple of days ago and I spent 20 minutes trying to lock it and ended up being late for work and it's just happened again now.

The touch of the door lock doesn't work, neither does locking it using the buttons on the key fob or by using the pop out key on the fob.

I've tried both keys and neither seem to work. It can't be the batteries in the fob surely as the car is only 3 months old.

Anyone else had this problem and if so know how to sort it?

Cheers.

It did lock eventually. I used to have a similar problem with my 2002 Mini if anything metal touched the airbag sensors under the seats. Yeah the windows are going up fine when I shut the doors. I'm really confused as to what's going on. Worried it decides to not lock at all as I don't even have a garage I can lock it in.

To my knowledge I don't think anyone has had this issue, it might be worth giving your dealership a ring. There have been instances where the bonnet or boot catch isn't seated right, but this shouldn't prevent you locking with the key in the door itself and would give you an audible beep as if a door is open.

I have had this a couple of times where the car doesn't see the key so wont lock or unlock. I tried new batteries but made no difference the dealer said that it could be interference from phone masts etc

It has not done it for a few weeks now..... sorry not much help just another "characteristic" of the cars lol

i think i can chime in on this. I had it happen to me on several occasions and it is darn right annoying! for me the issue was with the hood close sensor. It's located on the driver's side near the hood bracket. Try to open the bonnet, hold the switch down with your hand (it has a rubber boot on it, just press the whole thing down) and try to lock with your key fob. see if it works.

Perhaps trying to lock with all the doors, hood and boot open. If there's no beep, it's obviously something deeper and needs to go back to the dealer.

You could try a reset by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes?

Cheers guys. I haven't had the same problem today. Seems to work fine again but that was the second time it had happened. I never thought about it being my phone so I'll just make sure in future I keep the two apart and see if it happens again. If it does I'll contact Toyota. Fingers crossed it doesn't! 

So shortly after reading this post, it happened to me too. fob was in my pocket but the car did nothing to register i was trying to lock. i tried passenger side too with no luck. i used the fob to lock the car, then proceeded to unlock and lock as normal and it has been fine since. There was no interference with my phone so maybe the recent cold weather? just throwing that out there!