Deacon

Clean or replace HKS drop in filter?

Replace every 6-10km?! Oops...

How dirty is yours? Mine isn't that bad really even after probably ~20k miles...

I'm going to have a look later today hopefully Mike. I'm more concerned by the foam falling apart from some of the pictures I've seen.

I'm going to have a look later today hopefully Mike. I'm more concerned by the foam falling apart from some of the pictures I've seen.

Yea I remember seeing a picture or 2 of that. Mines perfectly fine just a bit dirty, can take a pic when I get home seeing as it's not currently in the car

That doesn't seem too bad for 20k - how was the foam holding up on the other side?

I didn't particularly touch it when I first got it, but it still feels soft and spongy whereas the dirty side feels harder

K&N fits well and engine pulls much better

I'd be surprised if you can tell a difference, switching back to the stock one at the weekend I couldn't tell a difference and there was no performance difference at all, although that could have been me pushing harder...

From what i know, when gains are most (on completely stock car), aftermarket drop-in filter can net up to +5whp. It's just 2.5%, hardly can be felt by "butt dyno". But then again, it's also as cheap, to compensate very slight gains for upgrade.

Oiled filters supposedly should last almost lifetime, just wash & reoil .. but i'm a bit sceptical on that.

Normal paper airfilters needs changing of course. One can partially clean them up with eg. that airline blast, but they will never work as good as they were new. I guess, that they still will filter even with all built up inside pores dust .. but they will be less effective/passing less air with more resistance to flow. If you are ok with car slightly underperforming, then such airblasted probably are ok for longer time. I'd prefer to change them at car manufacturer recommended intervals. It's not that big of a spending to try save on it.