Deacon

Fitting wheel nuts without damaging the paint?

Anyone got any suggestions on ways to fit painted wheel nuts without damaging the paint?

I've bought a nylon coated socket but that only protects the wheels not the nuts and it doesn't seem possible to get sockets that are internally plastic (probably because they couldn't stand the force applied I guess).

I read something on the 'net about using plastic bags over the nuts but the sockets just destroy the bag and still mark the nuts (although not as much). 

Anyone have a sure fire way?

Not much help, but my expensive Rays wheel nuts which are steel have lasted well without any real issue. On my AE86 I bought some cheap anodised nuts and they are pretty bad already. The cheap ones were £30 the Rays one around £70. 

I've got some Rays ones and I'm asking because I want to avoid as much damage as possible. Even being super careful today a few of them have got some small marks and I'd like to ensure they don't get any more! 

Put a layer of electrical tape around the nuts - tighten them up - remove tape.

Should help a little maybe

Can't do this method sadly as they have a locker that has a ridge cut into it and then the ridge on the key :-(

Are you talking about paint on the nuts themselves or the paint on the wheel?

A bit of masking tape around the socket will help to minimise any scratches on the wheel, but depends on the size of the whole and the size of your socket (giggty)

As for paint on the nuts themselves, not much you can do really. One of the reasons I got my anodised Muteki's was because they wouldn't get damaged by the socket as they're not painted

He is talking about the nut. He already mentioned his socket is nylon coated.

The quality of your tools will have an influence, the socket needs to be snug with no play which will minimise marking. Can you not tape the non lockers? Or do they all have a ridge.

He is talking about the nut. He already mentioned his socket is nylon coated.

The quality of your tools will have an influence, the socket needs to be snug with no play which will minimise marking. Can you not tape the non lockers? Or do they all have a ridge.

Only the lockers have a ridge but I think I may struggle getting the tape off the others once they're fitted - there's not a lot of room between the bolt hole recess and the bolts.