Sign in to follow this  
Deacon

New winter wheels

As my summer tyres are a bit melted from the last two sprints and as it's heading towards winter time I decided it was time to get myself some new winter wheels sorted as the thought of another 6 months on the stock wheels didn't sit well (I'm not a fan!)

Wheels are 17x7.5 and I'm going to transfer over my existing winter tyres (Nokian WRA3's in stock size). I had no idea on the weight of the wheels when I ordered them and wasn't too bothered as they are just to be winters but I was pleasantly surprised to find they only weigh 7.4kg each.

They are nothing fancy but I quite like them and they look fairly easy to clean! 😆

2015-09-14%2010.16.48_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

Edited by Deacon
Bloody auto-correct!

I like those, very good weight too at around 2 Kg per corner lighter than OEM (which themselves are no heavyweights). What make are they?

I was pleasantly surprised by the weight especially considering the cost. As I said they are nothing fantastic - Fox fx005 17x7.5 et35.

Lol, sorry Jeff, my tap talk app seems to just take me to the last couple of posts and missed that earlier posts, when will you get them on? I'll swing by and slap the black and yellow wheels on mine to have a look how they look on my car

My back has me out of action at present but I'm hoping to get the tyres swapped sometime this week or next and then the wheels fitted this weekend or next.

You're welcome to try my summers to see how they look once they're off.

I'm hoping the winters will sit a little better as they should stick out about 11mm further than my summers.

Plan is that the black and yellow ones will keep the track tyres on and be my Curborough dry wheels. These ones will be my winters and then next spring I'm going to get another set with something like v105's to be my daily wheels and Curborough wets.

16 wheels for one car, that's not excessive is it? 😀

Plan is that the black and yellow ones will keep the track tyres on and be my Curborough dry wheels. These ones will be my winters and then next spring I'm going to get another set with something like v105's to be my daily wheels and Curborough wets.

16 wheels for one car, that's not excessive is it? 😀

16 wheels is a good start for a track car... with your sets of wheels am I seeing this right? 1xDry Track, 1x Winter, 2x advan v105s? or am I missing the wet setup somewhere

7.4kg is impressive for a cast wheel. My TE37's are that weight but forged. 

That seems very heavy for a forged wheel?

Maybe part of the weight is from where you had the buckle (or was it a crack?) repaired and the red powder coat?

Lauren: Lightest cast wheel i know for our cars of was Kosei K4R 17x7 +50 of 15.0lbs/6.35kg as per tirerack.com. Seems relatively cheap too. Couldn't find of our PCD/sizes at european shops though, so shipping/importing will probably loose all it's cheap price advantage. Kosei K1 TS 17x7 +50 of 14.6lbs/6.62kg and Enkei RPF1 17x7 +32 14.8lbs/6.71kg also are cast & light. Team Dynamics (IIRC based in UK?) Pro Race 1.0 17x7 IIRC was 15-16lbs, a bit closer to weight of these.

Deacon: depends. Some vendors don't prioritize shedding weight but to have stronger (or strong enough) for expected loads wheel.

That seems very heavy for a forged wheel?

Maybe part of the weight is from where you had the buckle (or was it a crack?) repaired and the red powder coat?

It's because it's a racing wheel and is very strong. It wasn't a crack, was just straightened a bit or curved depending upon how you look at it! The powder coat adds 200g, so it would be 7.2kg without it. 

Also my wheels are 17x8, so a little wider. 

Edited by Lauren