Nicebiscuit

In today's 'where there's blame there's a claim' culture...

...I think Toyota should be applauded for building this car. I've been driving around on properly damp roads for the first time and this car is hilarious! It will properly let you do silly things. How did the lawyers allow it in an era when McDs get sued for making their coffee nice and hot?

I've had to back off a bit, but only because it looks a tad irresponsible to onlookers if I'm sideways on EVERY roundabout...

I dread to think what it's like in the snow. I think mine will be staying tucked away in the garage, along with the Porsche, and I'll be back in the parents' Renault Scenic during the winter months. 

But I wouldn't change it for the world. This car taught me what the term "fun car" meant. Previously, I always thought the most fun you could have in a car was going fast in a straight line.

I dread to think what it's like in the snow. I think mine will be staying tucked away in the garage, along with the Porsche, and I'll be back in the parents' Renault Scenic during the winter months.

But I wouldn't change it for the world. This car taught me what the term "fun car" meant. Previously, I always thought the most fun you could have in a car was going fast in a straight line.

Mine will get winter tyres. Makes all the difference on a cold slippery road. Once you' re tried them you'll never go back...

I drove mine in the snow a couple of years ago on standard tyres and it was no worse than a normal family hatchback. Very easy to control and never looked like getting stuck.

You can put winter tyres on, Ross. I have for the last two years, though it has been utterly pointless as there has been no snow and temperatures have mostly favoured non-winter tyres! I drive mine all year round, no problem. 

If there's a ton of snow I take a day off. That hasn't happened for three years!

Plus a bit of wet weather and cold temperatures makes it more fun in a lot of respects. Use it to practice your skills. ;)

I drove mine in the snow a couple of years ago on standard tyres and it was no worse than a normal family hatchback. Very easy to control and never looked like getting stuck.

Drove on snow last winter... any sort of attempt at acceleration made the car want to swap ends (was in sport mode...) and any incline was a bit of an issue if stopped.

I tried driving the Porsche 2 years ago when we last had a decent amount of snow, put me off driving any decent car in snow ever again, especially rear drive cars.

We have enough cars in the family that it's luckily not an issue, so I never bother with winter tyres, but I might be tempted to find an empty car park this year.

I tried driving the Porsche 2 years ago when we last had a decent amount of snow, put me off driving any decent car in snow ever again, especially rear drive cars.

We have enough cars in the family that it's luckily not an issue, so I never bother with winter tyres, but I might be tempted to find an empty car park this year.

911? They were a decent rally car back in the day on the right rubber. Weight over the driven wheels (unlike the 86) so decent traction. My old 1966 beetle was epic fun in the snow

911? They were a decent rally car back in the day on the right rubber. Weight over the driven wheels (unlike the 86) so decent traction. My old 1966 beetle was epic fun in the snow

Nah, Boxster S. Had a 993 911, didn't like it. Wanted to see what the fuss was about with the 987 Boxster, realised it quickly.

Nah, Boxster S. Had a 993 911, didn't like it. Wanted to see what the fuss was about with the 987 Boxster, realised it quickly.

Yes, a s/h Cayman would have been a very tempting proposition for me too if I hadn't needed occasional rear seats. That and the Boxster make the 911 seem a bit of an unnecessary luxury now.

Mind you I prefer the Toyota running costs :-)

...I think Toyota should be applauded for building this car. I've been driving around on properly damp roads for the first time and this car is hilarious! It will properly let you do silly things. How did the lawyers allow it in an era when McDs get sued for making their coffee nice and hot?

I've had to back off a bit, but only because it looks a tad irresponsible to onlookers if I'm sideways on EVERY roundabout...

Probably a little late to ask a question like this as I have a car on order, but are you deliberately making the car act like this? Does it snap back into control if you do "silly things"?

Probably a little late to ask a question like this as I have a car on order, but are you deliberately making the car act like this? Does it snap back into control if you do "silly things"?

No, even if you're driving perfectly sensible on the motorway at a sensible speed, in the dry, the car will just suddenly whip sideways from underneath you and send you into a spiral of death...

with all electronic aids on it will act quickly to bring you straight again

Depends on your level of skill ;)

With all the drivers aids on, you get little to no slip until the car cuts the power and brings you back into line

With the TCS button pushed you get a tiny bit more slip, but not enough to have some real fun before the computers shut you down

With everything off (hold the TCS button for a few seconds) you get no aids to help you, so you're on your own and free to enjoy the 86's perfect handling setup :) just take your time to learn it and the spiral of death hopefully won't ever come

Oh I haven't turned everything off yet. Want to avoid the death spiral for a bit... But sport mode does give a fair bit of leeway...

As for Willtl - sorry - being a bit tongue in cheek! With all the aids switched on its quite benign - and even in sport mode it's fine for a driver of very modest abilities (I.e. Me) but it's cool that Toyota do leave the decision in the drivers hands...

Grip levels are deliberately low, but if you find you don't get on with that grippier tyres are available...

Don't worry - you'll love it. I've still got a big stupid grin...

I like to think that sport mode is like a learner mode for all aids being off. You can slide the car without it doing anything but if you're too aggressive with it, it will kick in and attempt to put a halt to your driving.

I covered about just short of 20k in winter months this year. setting off at 4am with a sheet of ice on the road and no bugger else on it.

The car didn't struggle, spin or anything dramatic. (obviously driving to suite the weather). few situations felt a bit twitchy but normally because i was taking the piss a little.

been through good few inch of snow, again no problems.

Fair enough a FWD car would be much easier to control and less worrying when your driving, but if you tone your speed down and dont use the accelerator on a roundabout/any corner you'll be fine.

Aswell as the few years before that in the bmw some real bad weather and was overtaking stuck fwds, the whole office hates me in winter as they cant use the excuse "i'm snowed in".

as "how did he manage to get here from 60 miles away in a car that is well known for its incompetence in snow and you can't make 5 minutes round the corner?"

Snow is snow, put the right tyres on. drop your speed and if anything does go wrong you normally have enough time to correct. (if your driving to the conditions).
I recommend nokian winter tyres. but not when its warm as they shred.

I have to say, I was absolutely fine in my BMW too (company motor so changing tyres not an option) - as you say, doesn't matter which end is driven if you're on a constant throttle. But still love winter rubber as its magical. I enjoy the annual trip skiing which always involves 20-30km on snow over an Alpine pass. No bother...

Biggest risk on winter tyres? I've fallen flat on my arse twice in icy car parks getting out of the car, because driving on it, it wasn't slippy...

My worry with winter tyres is someone behind assuming they have the same grip and going into the back of us

We have winter tyres" both our cars, as you say amazing

One year I pulled into a pub overflow car park and realised I was the only non 4x4 to make it up the slope