Nicebiscuit

Unexpected things you like about the GT86

Yes, the next stage with flexible oled displays covering the inside of all vision obstructors and another across the bottom of the windscreen and rear window so the forward bodywork and boot could be seen through would be the great. Why stop there.... do the roof too and every car could be a convertible without messing up your hair. It should not be too expensive once oleds come down as cameras are really cheap already. I forget the name but there is a newer display with enormous brightness range that might be even more suitable.

The the body shape designers would have much more freedom. The mind boggles.

Why are Jaguar, Rover  only turning on the displays when the driver looks in their direction?  Why not permanent 360 degrees and passengers could admire the view?    

On 12/2/2015 at 6:41 AM, Nicebiscuit said:

My trick with those is to fold them in, turn the ignition off and then press the switch again before I get out. Then they automatically fold out next time I get in...

Good grief!  Great trick thanks but another step to think about before proceeding.  I am just getting used to my starting procedure at last, namely seat belt on,  foot on brake pedal, touch start button, release brake pedal, press cruise control, press VSC Sport Mode, touch Agree on satnav screen, press door lock button , check mirrors, check for instrument warning lights, check gauges, foot on brake pedal again, select appropriate gear, check mirrors (and maybe reversing camera) , release brake pedal and drive off  WHOOPS ...  forgot the handbrake again. :rolleyes: 

17 hours ago, Herbie86 said:

It's an issue all cars have lo greater or lesser extent. I look forward to the day when there is a user angled camera on the outsides of all the pillars and  user  angled screens on the inside, thus, in effect making the pillars have windows in them.  Patent applied :)  

Wasnt an ISsue at all on my e93 m3.. but then there Were no b pillars and a good size rear side window. 

I just posted this elsewhere but I think it is appropriate here too.

I love our auto transmission but find normal taking off a little too sudden to be smooth unless I try hard.
Knowing SNOW mode eliminates first gear and  forces second I tried it.  Voila!  It pulls away strongly and smoothly. ...hills or the flat, gentle pedal or booting it. No sign of struggle.
It works with the cruise control and VSC Sport (which I normally use) but not Sport. I am leaving it in SNOW mode all the time.

Downside is an extra step to my 18 steps to remember before blast off (see above).
If anyone knows of any other downside, please share.

Addendum: My goodness, drivers seem to fall over themselves to let me out at junctions. I got let out by both lanes this morning! I think these cars have a heartwarming influence on other drivers.

2 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Addendum: My goodness, drivers seem to fall over themselves to let me out at junctions. I got let out by both lanes this morning! I think these cars have a heartwarming influence on other drivers.

I kind of noticed something similar the other day - in traffic on the M25 found it relatively easy to signal and move and later, Focus ST let me change lane, flashed me in when he/she saw me indicating. RESPECT.

It's not an aggressive car. So you don't provoke animosity. It's not one of those cars that looks like you're trying to demonstrate what enormous genitalia you have. Which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i like the amount of stuff i can fit in the car when people are saying it doesnt fit... i like the feeling of driving a Toyota which makes me feel in safe and reliable car. I like the monologues with satnav woman. she never replies but passengers does lol i like the serious toy feeling. i can play with it. designs fits nicely, always attracts attention on the streets. people desires it but not brave enough to have one. that makes me feel special. i like the insurance because it is not really expensive so makes the car more drivable. i like the balance of the car. god knows how many times i saved the car from spinning (no wasnt speeding) on black ice. (same thing happened with mum's yaris, too but GT86 is cooler :) and like the bucket seats...

when fitting my Flex A's I discovered that the boot liner is reversible (flip upside down) to a rubbery plastic type liner that would be useful if you had to carry something that might make it dirty in there

I have converted mine to Estate Car for next Weekend  and is very surprising how much fits in the car

People are hugely surprised what I can get in mine. To be honest they're shocked the kids fit.

But still not quite as good as when we turned up for the kids school camp over 4 up in an Abarth 500 with all our camping gear...

I recently had a hire car for ten days while my GT86 was being repaired. An okay-ish Seat Leon. Diesel. I'd recommend everyone does so every once in a while - it makes you appreciate how good the GT86 really is.

First off, keyless entry. It feels so odd and inordinately inconvenient having to fish out the fob to bip unlock, then fit the key in the ignition to start. Then you're sat on a seat, not cosseted in a comfortable, heated seat. Your view is limited by thick A pillars and you have to regularly use the rear wipe because you can't see out of the back either. Then there's the performance, or lack there of. I keep reading about how under-powered my car is, but unless you drive a modern run-of-the-mill diesel you don't appreciate how quick and nimble the GT86 actually is.

There's loads more, but we all know it really - no point in preaching to the converted. B)

Even moving from the GT86 into the Boxster S and back makes me appreciate the GT86. Sure, you miss out on the extra power and torque, and the quality of the interior, but driving for fun in the Porsche can turn scary, because it's so much more skittish near the limit. The 86 lets go so progressively that you can drive like a moron, even on public roads.

Also, despite the Porsche being a Porsche, the 86 gets far more admiring looks. That could have something to do with the modifications also, however it is surprising how many people stare, or even come up and ask about the 86, compared to the Porsche.

20 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Also, despite the Porsche being a Porsche, the 86 gets far more admiring looks. That could have something to do with the modifications also, however it is surprising how many people stare, or even come up and ask about the 86, compared to the Porsche.

I've never owned a Porsche, but I feel like my BRZ gets just as many admiring looks as my TVR Griffith. I like the fact that it is a fairly cheap car but literally a head turner. When driving through town I sometimes note who has seen the car and check my mirrors to see if they turn their heads to follow it. After 3 months of ownership I would say the "good" is:

* The looks

* The fuel consumption. Yet to get less than 32mpg, best is 45mpg and most of the time return mid to high 30s

* Keyless entry and locking

* Interior light coming on when I stand near the car

On 24/01/2016 at 6:30 AM, Herbie86 said:

Good grief!  Great trick thanks but another step to think about before proceeding.  I am just getting used to my starting procedure at last, namely seat belt on,  foot on brake pedal, touch start button, release brake pedal, press cruise control, press VSC Sport Mode, touch Agree on satnav screen, press door lock button , check mirrors, check for instrument warning lights, check gauges, foot on brake pedal again, select appropriate gear, check mirrors (and maybe reversing camera) , release brake pedal and drive off  WHOOPS ...  forgot the handbrake again. :rolleyes: 

You can save at least one of those steps by setting auto-lock (key 7 IIRC) which locks the doors when 1. the doors are closed and 2. clutch is pressed. :)

Now that I've finally got the hang of the keyless locking (RTFM, not listen to the salesman) & thanks to the tip on here to unlock both doors at once, I love the feature. The fact the interior light comes on as you walk up to the car is cool too.

14 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

I would just like to say: 55" tv in the boot! Had to unbox it though :-/

you might have trouble watching it from the drivers seat, I suggest swapping the touch and go for it :D