Nicebiscuit

Unexpected things you like about the GT86

Yes, ok, so it's pretty, it handles and it's great fun to punt around. If it weren't those things we'd have all asked for a refund. But I was thinking earlier about the little details I like. Anyone got any more?

1) the handbrake is in the right place to actually use. Surprisingly rare - especially on Euro cars where it's often positioned for LHD.

2) you can get big bottles of water (or more usefully - wine) in the doors. In general oddments space is quite good for this sort of car.

3) visibility is excellent. Where are the massive thick pillars that every other manufacture considers essential in 2015? Best safety aid in my book is being able to see out...

4) it is surprisingly economical. 40mpg + isn't bad at all.

5) when I look under the bonnet there are nicely identifiable engine-y things under there. Not a big plastic cover.

6). The Ferrari Dino-esque wing bulges that make it so easy to place the car. (This last one might be my favourite thing about the whole car)

it love's losing traction. I went for a blat at lunch time to Bath after it had just rained. Lots of fun

Averaging over 33MPG 

RWD is always fun so I knew that. 

After a year of owing the car both me and the wife still just love driving it. Which is strange for a daily driver.

I normally only feel like this with my kit car and bike

I have never seen 40mpg but happy I hit 29 avg even with spirited driving to work. Important when you drive 70 miles per day for work

I'm a schizophrenic driver. I'm either out to play and bouncing off the rev limiter, or on a commute tootling along with the radio on. Easily see 40mpg in the latter state. No point pushing on on congested roads. It just frustrates me

I do have to disagree with point 3.

I have a large roundabout near me. To turn left the lane tapers over to the left.. If i follow the lane i cannot see to my right as the b/c pillars are so intrusive/blocking view. I either have to put my head pretty much on the steering wheel to see right, or point the car more towards the centre point of the roundabout and skewed to the lane angle.

I have a large roundabout near me. To turn left the lane tapers over to the left.. If i follow the lane i cannot see to my right as the b/c pillars are so intrusive/blocking view. I either have to put my head pretty much on the steering wheel to see right, or point the car more towards the centre point of the roundabout and skewed to the lane angle.

Are you by any chance quite tall? I'm not, so I get a decent view out of the side window (and a little bit of space for rear seat passengers feet )

I like that when I do my big drives (generally to compete in TSS rounds) it is really comfortable. No back pain and I jump out feeling as fresh as when I got in.

Also like the heated seats that have two settings and the fact it's a fairly rare sight on the roads around my way.

Are you by any chance quite tall? I'm not, so I get a decent view out of the side window (and a little bit of space for rear seat passengers feet )

No im not really, 5'10 ish (i think). I have tried to look out of the rear side window too but the angle of view is so acute its unsafe to pull out as i dont have a full view of whats coming. Liveable with, i just have to be aware and read the road a bit as to angle of approach.. If i get it wrong id imagine it looks like im trying to lick the front quarter light window! Ha ha.

The way the interior like comes on when it's dark and you walk near it.

This. I love this.

I'm also with Dan on the 'rear quarter' view. Luckily I rarely find myself needing to get the view I struggle with.

I love the keyless entry and start as it's something that was missing on my previous car (Astra GTC) and I'm a bit of a tech geek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that my base spec model doesn't

I just like starting things with keys

I work in tech but I'm a complete Luddite. Give me aircon and decent tunes and you can keep all the fancy modern gadgets. Borrowed an up-spec Qashqai recently - completely did my head in!

4 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Resurrecting this thread given the whingeing going on on the other one emoji12.png

Realised the other day it has a dipstick for the washer fluid. Never seen that before... Neat!

does it? not seen that

I do have another like to add although its a generic feature on a lot of cars nowadays and that the the electric folding mirrors, very helpful lately with so many people having ridiculously bright lights sat behind me blinding me so just press the button and fold them in then hey presto, no more being blind :D

On 8/26/2015 at 2:48 AM, Dan7954 said:

It's an issue all cars have lo greater or lesser extent. I look forward to the day when there is a user angled camera on the outsides of all the pillars and  user  angled screens on the inside, thus, in effect making the pillars have windows in them.  Patent applied :)  

Jaguar have already demo'd this tech over a year ago, don't think the tech is quite here yet but it's bloody cool:

So using curved displays and cameras inside and out of the car, it can detect when you're looking and make the pillars look transparent etc i.e. capture and project what's behind the pillar on the pillar.  I've even been told about how Land Rover are doing the same but making the bonnet appear transparent so you can see what you're driving over when off road (very cool).  I never really thought about this or even the whole ghost car (which is designed for navigation and on track lap times) but I did envision on the road markings for navigation ever since OLED's were developed many many years ago.....wish I had patented the idea :lol: