Sign in to follow this  
smudge

OEM airbox

So I know that the OEM airbox is one of, if not, the best in terms of air flow. But is there a way to remove the little resonator on the left of the actual airbox where the filter goes? Picture below for reference

intakediagram21-550x366.jpg

It seems to be riveted to the airbox so not sure if it can be detached easily? And then I'd need to plug the hole somehow...

I think some people have literallt cut it off and blocked it off with a grommet. But I wouldn't remove it, from what i've seen it drastically affects the airflow

I've done it before and then put it back on. You need a thing called a drill ;) Blanked it off with a rubber cap and a jubilee clip.

Did it prove any benefir? Nope. Think of it an an extra reservoir of air for when you stamp on it. It's on post filter side.

You only have that one resonator and I noticed almost no change in noise in removing it... I only did it NA but the same priciples apply. You gain more by opening up the entrance to the airbox but I would advise against removing the cold air feed completely. You can buy metal charge pipes which will help to increase the sound.

You only have that one resonator and I noticed almost no change in noise in removing it... I only did it NA but the same priciples apply. You gain more by opening up the entrance to the airbox but I would advise against removing the cold air feed completely. You can buy metal charge pipes which will help to increase the sound.

I've got the HKS duct going into the box which maximises the air going in compared to the OEM pipe before the airbox

I am right in thinking that the OEM is best for airflow compared to some aftermarket options?

I've got the HKS duct going into the box which maximises the air going in compared to the OEM pipe before the airbox

I am right in thinking that the OEM is best for airflow compared to some aftermarket options?

Probably, you could possiblyly buy some for ~£500 that may be better, would it be worth it though? With a PD you want to avoid as much hot air as possible.

When you say best for airflow, what do you mean? On yours now? With the 335? Cosworth deem the OEM capable for ~300bhp+. If you want more for the 335 then look at the AVO one, IMO looks one of the better ones, cheap at £420.... http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_17/503

If you're bothering with that though, you may as well throw in a bigger TB as that'll be the next restriction. Seems some think that'll be a restriction before the airbox.

Probably, you could possiblyly buy some for ~£500 that may be better, would it be worth it though? With a PD you want to avoid as much hot air as possible.

When you say best for airflow, what do you mean? On yours now? With the 335? Cosworth deem the OEM capable for ~300bhp+. If you want more for the 335 then look at the AVO one, IMO looks one of the better ones, cheap at £420.... http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_17/503

If you're bothering with that though, you may as well throw in a bigger TB as that'll be the next restriction. Seems some think that'll be a restriction before the airbox.

Yeah I've been reading about the TB discussions on the American forum. No one seems to have found a solution yet but at the same time there are people running the OEM TB with silly numbers. Adrian @ Fensport for 1, the WTF86 in Aus with the twincharge is on the standard TB. So I'll look at that when someone else has delved into it further

With the 335 maybe it is time to change the airbox then....more research to be done methinks

Difference between suck and blow.... The big numbers are all turbo which blow through the TB. Your SC pulls air through the TB ;) With PD blowers you want the air path to be as unrestricted as possible. It comes a trade off as with everything.

The other thing to consider, that you missed, is compatibility. Not many will be compatible with the Sprintex charge pipe ;)

IIRC for one of aftermarket intake tubes there were dyno runs performed of miscellaneous combinations. It was ok and advisable to remove sound tube, but with resonator removal there was slight performance loss. Slight, but nevertheless. A bit too lazy to dig among bookmarks, to search were exactly i've seen that data ..

I am interested in the comments made here about the TB. Why, because during my discussions with Matt from Cosworth on Twin charging mine, the only negative he could see was the TB.

Interesting????

I read somewhere that the resonator box was helpful for low down torque, though as your s/c I guess it won't make much difference.

I've got a carbon fibre airbox (with filter) that I'd like to put on mine, only issue I'd have is the MAF, not sure what I can do to sort that part out without screwing it all up

Has no-one machined out a stock TB and made a bigger butterfly then?

Not that I'm aware of Nige

There are a couple but only 2 mm difference

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/cusco-2mm-overbored-throttle-body-subaru-brz-scion-frs-13-p-164081.html

http://www.tdi-plc.com/toda-racing-throttle-body-for-gt86-and-impreza-brz/

Slightly off topic

I've got and fitted a Blitz suction pipe and put the blanker on for the noise generator. I removed the pipe up to the first joint and blackned this off. it seems to be ok and is this what others have done to remove the noise generator? 

Now I have a Avo exhaust there is no need for generator and why I removed it

Just wanted to make sure what I did is ok